My Heart Goes Out To BC.... | The Boneyard

My Heart Goes Out To BC....

Reaction Score
YEA RIGHT..NOT...

BC-Notre Dame hardly even registers here anymore - The Boston Globe

Shaughnessy hard on the locals interest....

While I could care less for BC troubles it is still really sad for Northeast college football. Having said that it will be the only time I will root for ND this year or any other for that fact.
As much as I hate our conference situation, I'll take where we are now over what BC is every day of the week. At least we have hope every year. Their fans know they don't stand a chance.

I think Rutgers is right behind them. The B1G lights are shiny for their "fans" right now, but they'll only be able to take their brains getting bashed in by the Michigans and Ohio States for so long.

Reaction Score
Talked with my BC friend over the Labor Day weekend. He sort of agrees that the ACC while good financially has been a disaster athletically. They go into every season figuring they have at best a chance to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack. Of late they would love to finish that well. They know going into the season that there is no chance they can compete sigh FSU Clemson, Virginia Tech, and the other upper echelon teams. At best they can compete with Wake, Duke Virginia and NC State and other middling to bad programs. That Makes it tough to build a fan base.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Daz won't last through the season. They may very well enter into the UConn game at 2-8. They'll be 3-7 at best.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The really maddening and sickening thing about conference realignment is knowing that UConn could have stepped into a P5 league and at least been competitive right from the start. We did it in the Big East when it was a major BCS conference when we had no pedigree or experience at all, and only two seasons of DIA football behind us. Watching Rutgers and BS College flounder around ineptly makes it even worse to think about what could have been if we had been given the opportunity that both of those schools have squandered terribly.

Reaction Score
BC has really bad coaching. Addazio is worse than Spazani. Their facilities had fallen way behind until they broke ground on their first indoor field this summer. No doubt we would have put more financial resources into our program, but we still would not have succeeded with the coaches we brought in. Diaco being the worst of all. Our problem is that we can't win any recruiting battles with BC even when they are at their worst.

All that said BC always get that free pass to have a really bad stretch because they have the cachet of being an academic school first and not a football factory. Stanford was down for years until they brought in a good coach and BC can rebound with a good coach next year. They have talent and they are decent at recruiting Catholic HS. BC is an Irish school and they still have a strong following amongst that group even if they are not buying tickets at the moment. They did draw 38,000 for WF.

Our problem has nothing to do with BC. UConn is a completely different university. We need to crush RU in recruiting and fill up our stadium. There is not much D1 talent in New England and we must recruit NJ and PA a lot better than we have ever done.

Reaction Score
YEA RIGHT..NOT...

BC-Notre Dame hardly even registers here anymore - The Boston Globe

Shaughnessy hard on the locals interest....

While I could care less for BC troubles it is still really sad for Northeast college football. Having said that it will be the only time I will root for ND this year or any other for that fact.
There is one thing about this article that is wrong...if the sport Shaughnessy was referring to was played on ice with a puck instead of a field with a football there wouldn't have been any issues with him finding anything. When the temps and the pucks drop BC and BU are as relevant as the Bruins in Boston.

Reaction Score
From the article: The Eagles made it to the Quick Lane Bowl last year, but only because they fattened up on UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, and UConn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
BC does tend to make bowl games but no one really notices because they tend to go 6-6 with cupcake OOC games and go like 2-6 or 3-5 in conference. We could be doing the same thing but it's a pretty embarrassing way to way to live as a football program.

Reaction Score
BC does tend to make bowl games but no one really notices because they tend to go 6-6 with cupcake OOC games and go like 2-6 or 3-5 in conference. We could be doing the same thing but it's a pretty embarrassing way to way to live as a football program.

If you haven't noticed you are living the life you describe for BC, but you are living it in the AAC / G5, not the ACC / P5! And you aren't even getting to play in bowl games in the AAC / G5.

Reaction Score
If you haven't noticed you are living the life you describe for BC, but you are living it in the AAC / G5, not the ACC / P5! And you aren't even getting to play in bowl games in the AAC / G5.

Hank, we both suck right now. Getting into this pizzing match over who is the taller dwarf in the circus is so lame. Yes, BC is getting paid but the move has killed the athletic dept from a competitive standpoint.

Reaction Score
What you really should be thinking about @HartfordHank is what I posted above....BC sports are relevent when the puck drops and nothing more. Why...because since Jagodzinski was fired by DeFlippo BC has like UConn been mired by bad hire after bad hire.

Reaction Score
The problems at BC in football and basketball are not just bad coaching hires. BC is not committed to investing in athletics to be competitive and you can see it in their results. Coaching salaries are below average. Facilities are below average.

As for fan support, BC has done almost everything they could possibly do to discourage fans, especially the non-BC affiliated locals. Twenty five years ago, local college football fans could drive over to BC and tailgate and enjoy a game. Today, it is virtually impossible for the local fan to park anywhere near BC or enjoy a tailgate. At BC, it costs between $2,500 to $10,000 per season to reserve a tailgating spot and that doesn't include the donation required for a prime seat in the stadium! As for basketball, the loss of almost all of their traditional rivals after moving to the ACC has created apathy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Look at our OOC schedules

Reaction Score
Hank, we both suck right now. Getting into this pizzing match over who is the taller dwarf in the circus is so lame. Yes, BC is getting paid but the move has killed the athletic dept from a competitive standpoint.

BC was competitive in the ACC and will be again. The new AD is very impressive. He replaces two predecessors who made numerous bad decisions. It sounds as if the new AD will be given the tools needed to make the right hires and make BC competitive again. Time will tell!

I agree a pizzing match is lame but I had to point out the irony of what was said!

Reaction Score
What you really should be thinking about @HartfordHank is what I posted above....BC sports are relevent when the puck drops and nothing more. Why...because since Jagodzinski was fired by DeFlippo BC has like UConn been mired by bad hire after bad hire.

And hopefully BC has a new AD who will make the right hires. I believe he will be doing a lot of that over the next year. With Jerry York he does not have to do much with the hockey program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BC will not be competitive because they don't invest in the programs. The only times they were good are when they had Heisman level, borderline HoF QB's.

The rest of the time they stink. Their highlights read like ours. A surprise win over ND, an odd conference championship, and the occasional solid team. They only have Flutie to Phelan despite decades more time in the top division.

Same goes for Pitt, Cuse and every other NE program not named Penn State. RU is an embarrassment. If you look at the underlying university support you'd want to be UConn.

Problem is the P5 thing and that the ACC was dumb.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
With a QB with a broken wrist. Still less embarrassing than this...

The BC home opener against an ACC rival was NOT on TV. Instead, NESN showed Georgia Tech vs Jacksonville State. In Boston! Shame.

Reaction Score
And hopefully BC has a new AD who will make the right hires. I believe he will be doing a lot of that over the next year. With Jerry York he does not have to do much with the hockey program.
My point exactly...hockey is and always will be first in Boston landscape...BC hoops will need to catch lightening in a bottle to even touch the Celtics..nothing they can do on the baseball diamond will even come close to the Sox.....as for football once BC and the Pats passed each other in the on-field success category they were done. Any new coaching hire in football will just appease the alumni.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom