My comp for Castle | The Boneyard

My comp for Castle

Reaction Score
Caron Butler. 6-7, 220. Castle 6-6.5. Caron was older at UConn. And in two years (in the NBA) Castle could be a Butler clone. A monster driving to the basket, collecting fouls. Tough rebounder. All that's missing is the three point shot and you can hear it coming like a freight train.

I should have seen it sooner. In my defense I'm old.

Reaction Score
Caron Butler. 6-7, 220. Castle 6-6.5. Caron was older at UConn. And in two years (in the NBA) Castle could be a Butler clone. A monster driving to the basket, collecting fouls. Tough rebounder. All that's missing is the three point shot and you can hear it coming like a freight train.

I should have seen it sooner. In my defense I'm old.
I thought you didn't play defense?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not sure he is athletic and can jump like Caron could. I just remember one Caron play where he is going down the lane ball over his head in one hand and dunking over a player. But as you mention he was two years older. I think Castle will end up being just as good a shooter as Caron. Here is one for you he is a bigger more athletic version of Walt Frazier. Frazier was a true 6’4” which was big for a guard back then. He was not quick but could get anywhere on the court he wanted. He also came out of college as a known great defender.

Reaction Score
He's kind of what we expected Marcus Johnson to be. You likely remember he was projected as a top 10 draft pick. To be clear: I'm saying he's close to what we EXPECTED Marcus Johnson to be. Not what he was.

Reaction Score
Not sure he is athletic and can jump like Caron could. I just remember one Caron play where he is going down the lane ball over his head in one hand and dunking over a player. But as you mention he was two years older. I think Castle will end up being just as good a shooter as Caron. Here is one for you he is a bigger more athletic version of Walt Frazier. Frazier was a true 6’4” which was big for a guard back then. He was not quick but could get anywhere on the court he wanted. He also came out of college as a known great defender.

At Castle's age Caron was still at Maine Central. Because of his troubles he lost a year in high school and another at prep school. Plus, the injury slowed Castle's progress this year.

But I was watching a documentary on Caron as part of the Big 3 of the Washington Wizards and the physical similarity was striking. There is a great story about Caron when he joined the Lakers. In his first game he went (for something like) 30+ points. After the game Kobe Bryant came over to him and said "Don't get used to it." A lot depends on where you go and what they need.

As Castle, who is now 20 years old, gains his man strength, he will be a locomotive going down hill. As the shot comes along, he will score like Caron with better assist and rebounding numbers. But they come out of the same mold. Half forward. Half Guard. Neither is a rocket on the court. But as you say. He will get anywhere he needs to. Whoever drafts him will be very happy.

Reaction Score
At Castle's age Caron was still at Maine Central. Because of his troubles he lost a year in high school and another at prep school. Plus, the injury slowed Castle's progress this year.

But I was watching a documentary on Caron as part of the Big 3 of the Washington Wizards and the physical similarity was striking. There is a great story about Caron when he joined the Lakers. In his first game he went (for something like) 30+ points. After the game Kobe Bryant came over to him and said "Don't get used to it." A lot depends on where you go and what they need.

As Castle, who is now 20 years old, gains his man strength, he will be a locomotive going down hill. As the shot comes along, he will score like Caron with better assist and rebounding numbers. But they come out of the same mold. Half forward. Half Guard. Neither is a rocket on the court. But as you say. He will get anywhere he needs to. Whoever drafts him will be very happy.
Steph is 19

Reaction Score
I see SGA. I think he could be a similar player at the next level,
not necessarily an MVP candidate, but a similar game.
Low volume/decent % 3-point shooter, crafty interior finisher,
above average handle, above average passer,
great size and strength for position.
Better point of attack defender than SGA at this age.

Reaction Score
Stewie reminds me of Caron.
Maybe slightly smaller Evan turner with better shooting mechanics for Steph?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I see SGA. I think he could be a similar player at the next level,
not necessarily an MVP candidate, but a similar game.
Low volume/decent % 3-point shooter, crafty interior finisher,
above average handle, above average passer,
great size and strength for position.
Better point of attack defender than SGA at this age.
I get the Jimmy comps, but yeah if he’s going to be a PG at the next level it should be SGA.

His mid range bag has a long way to go though before getting there. But they can play to their strengths offensively in a very similar way.

Think SGA might be up there for leading the league in steals too.

Reaction Score
I get the Jimmy comps, but yeah if he’s going to be a PG at the next level it should be SGA.

His mid range bag has a long way to go though before getting there. But they can play to their strengths offensively in a very similar way.

Think SGA might be up there for leading the league in steals too.
They also have similar "stop and start" or "herky jerky" moves to free themselves from defenders, especially near the paint. They aren't fast, but they don't need to be because you can't speed them up.

Reaction Score
I get the Caron comparison even though their games are vastly different. They do share not only a similar physical profile but also similar demeanor. They both have that unruffled, stoic coolness and don't get too high or too low, just all business. With Caron, he was that way cause he was older and had already graduated from the "school of hard knocks". I can't really explain Stephon's incredible maturity but I assume and have heard he has amazing parents. I'm so glad both guys are part of our Husky Family!

Reaction Score
Caron Butler, was a much better player. And a totally different game. I don't see the comp at all

At Castle's age Caron was in hs though. Next season, I could easily see Castle having a similar season as Caron's freshman year if he stayed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom