My comp for Castle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My comp for Castle

Reaction Score
butler was the heat's primary PF in the nba finals last year. castle is more likely to play PG than PF. but that's why i like the jrue holiday comp. i think of him as a mini butler. castle is somewhere in between. he should play as an off-ball guard capable of scoring around the rim. needs to work on his 3. will be an elite defender.
Butler and Caleb Martin were pretty interchagable at the forward spots in the playoffs and then the Heat also went to Kevin Love for minutes in the Finals as well. We're comparing playstyle and physical builds, Butler is not a traditional PF when playing in a position less system.

Reaction Score
so what, giannis mobley, and maybe towns are the only starting PFs that do play the 4 on offense. otherwise it's 1 in 5 out. Tatum, Randle, Kawhi, Harris, Butler, Durant, etc are all stretch 4s
So, I don’t understand your point then?

Reaction Score
Then he grew cuz He was 6’7 230. He averaged 6+ rebs several seasons if he was playing today he’d be a 3/4 tweener. He was as big as guys like kawhi, Tobias Harris, Tatum, Kuzma, Kuminga, PJ Washington etc who are all starting PFs.
Listed NBA measurements always boosted guys an inch back then, I doubt after 22 Caron grew more height wise compared to his draft measurements. Either way you're comparing Caron to guys now, back then in Caron's era he was not playing a stretch 4 position in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I get the Jimmy comps, but yeah if he’s going to be a PG at the next level it should be SGA.

His mid range bag has a long way to go though before getting there. But they can play to their strengths offensively in a very similar way.

Think SGA might be up there for leading the league in steals too.

Good point. Castle can certainly handle the ball, as could Caron. But I think the Castle will be very valuable off the ball. And there area ton of more talented point guards in the NBA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good point. Castle can certainly handle the ball, as could Caron. But I think the Castle will be very valuable off the ball. And there area ton of more talented point guards in the NBA.
Not sure about that. He's a gifted passer. There is a real benefit to having an oversized PG that can switch and guard bigger guys. Is he PG like Iverson or John Stockton? No, but that role is mostly gone now. He's like Derek White in a lot of ways, with worse shooting at this point, but probably better scoring inside. Probably a better passer.

Reaction Score
So, I don’t understand your point then?
that jimmy is a modern day tweener F and Castle is not/will not be. it goes without saying these modern day Fs all have guard skills but castle still doesnt have the size unless he grows another inch or two and adds 20 lbs and i dont think that's likely.

Reaction Score
Listed NBA measurements always boosted guys an inch back then, I doubt after 22 Caron grew more height wise compared to his draft measurements. Either way you're comparing Caron to guys now, back then in Caron's era he was not playing a stretch 4 position in the NBA.
so we can compare castle to guys back then but we cant compare guys back then to guys now? i didnt make the caron comp in the first place

Reaction Score
that jimmy is a modern day tweener F and Castle is not/will not be. it goes without saying these modern day Fs all have guard skills but castle still doesnt have the size unless he grows another inch or two and adds 20 lbs and i dont think that's likely.
Jimmy is not a tweener. He runs the offense when healthy and in the playoffs. He is a versatile defender who had the strength and speed to guard 1-4. Steph will likely be asked to do the same at some point.

Jimmy was measure at 6’6 without shoes at the combine. I imagine Steph will be right around there as well. Steph apparently has a 6’9 wingspan while Jimmy measured at 6’7.5.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not sure about that. He's a gifted passer. There is a real benefit to having an oversized PG that can switch and guard bigger guys. Is he PG like Iverson or John Stockton? No, but that role is mostly gone now. He's like Derek White in a lot of ways, with worse shooting at this point, but probably better scoring inside. Probably a better passer.
Yeah I saw the Jrue Holiday comp in this thread and that’s so realistic to what Castle can be. Who is pretty much the same player as Derek White anyways.

Reaction Score
Jimmy is not a tweener. He runs the offense when healthy and in the playoffs. He is a versatile defender who had the strength and speed to guard 1-4. Steph will likely be asked to do the same at some point.
yes he is. lebron is also a SF/PF that runs the offense ie a point forward. these skilled 6'7-6'8 guys are all playing stretch 4 these days but castle isnt as big and strong. i see castle as more of a big guard like cade cunningham or jrue holiday or derrick white. not butler or lebron or kawhi.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yes he is. lebron is also a SF/PF that runs the offense ie a point forward. these skilled 6'7-6'8 guys are all playing stretch 4 these days but castle isnt as big and strong. i see castle as more of a big guard like cade cunningham or jrue holiday or derrick white. not butler or lebron or kawhi.
Jimmy became this “SF/PF” 12 years into his career. He was a SG/SF his whole career before this. Thats fine that YOU see him as closer to Holiday/White, that doesn’t make it an apt comparison. He’s a lot closer to young Jimmy than either of those guys, like down to body, movement, shooting and strength.

Reaction Score
Jimmy became this “SF/PF” 12 years into his career. He was a SG/SF his whole career before this. Thats fine that YOU see him as closer to Holiday/White, that doesn’t make it an apt comparison. He’s a lot closer to young Jimmy than either of those guys, like down to body, movement, shooting and strength.
Young jimmy was also a PF at Marquette and in HS and castle has always been a CG. Butler is not apt just because YOU think it is.

Reaction Score
Young jimmy was also a PF at Marquette and in HS and castle has always been a CG. Butler is not apt just because YOU think it is.
Bringing high school into it shows how little legs your argument has, lol.

And no, Jimmy was not a PF in college. Do some research.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Jimmy was measure at 6’6 without shoes at the combine. I imagine Steph will be right around there as well. Steph apparently has a 6’9 wingspan while Jimmy measured at 6’7.5.

You nailed it. Jimmy is a wing. He can play small ball 4 but Castle probably could too if we wanted.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In @bendm defense, I think Castle has more PG skills than Jimmy naturally, so I get the idea. But his skill set and body and overall player profile tracks more Jimmy than SGA or others, my opinion.

Marcus Smart mixed with a more fluid and creator-based offensive game would be a heckuva NBA G too.

Reaction Score
Modern NBA doesn't have positions on offense 1-4. Ballhandler, wing, big... but even that gets blurry depending on the team. Who you can defend is the only important position IMO.

He's a secondary ballhandler with lead potential. 1-4 defender. Thinking much past that probably isn't going to be very helpful.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Exactly, and he literally has for us.
But he can’t in the NBA. He can play ”small ball” SF in the NBA. He’s not like Butler. He’s a big point guard. By the way, Dan has correctly ended the Steph at 4 thing even in college. Stewart comes in now. Those were desperation lineups.

Do people get how everyone is like 2” taller at most positions in the NBA?. Jaylen Brown was mostly a SG until this season. NBA is all about maximizing height + skill.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Modern NBA doesn't have positions on offense 1-4. Ballhandler, wing, big... but even that gets blurry depending on the team. Who you can defend is the only important position IMO.

He's a secondary ballhandler with lead potential. 1-4 defender. Thinking much past that probably isn't going to be very helpful.
Exactly. I’d use the word versatility. He’s super appealing because he can do most anything you ask. I don’t want him on a bunch of NBA 4s as he’d get destroyed. But he can disrupt them getting the ball or dribbling.

His comments about defense suggest that he’s starting to understand it. Use you size to dominate small guards, quickness to irritate big guys, strength to hold bully ball players.

Reaction Score
But he can’t in the NBA. He can play ”small ball” SF in the NBA. He’s not like Butler. He’s a big point guard. By the way, Dan has correctly ended the Steph at 4 thing even in college. Stewart comes in now. Those were desperation lineups.

Do people get how everyone is like 2” taller at most positions in the NBA?. Jaylen Brown was mostly a SG until this season. NBA is all about maximizing height + skill.
He certainly could in the NBA if needed. I mean, Josh Hart has played the 4 for the Knicks and Steph has almost 3 inches on him. Again, the NBA is virtually positionless, at least the good teams are.

Stewie has stepped up defensively, that’s why Steph doesn’t have to play the 4 much on D anymore. But he absolutely could, and defended very well when he did.

There are really only a few 4’s in the league that I would say have a significant advantage over him when he would check them defensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is nba now.

It really is positionless outside of the center.

Jayson Tatum is the 1-4 on the Celtics. He initiates a ton of offense while holiday and white are on the wing.

In the nba. You play who you can defend. For castle, definitely backcourt and wings.

Power players? Probably not.

On Celtics, everyone but Porzingis, Kornet and Hauser dribble the ball up the floor. Even Horford does from time to time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom