My Apologies to Dan Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

My Apologies to Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
Dude, whatever. It’s a sports board with people that have opinions.

No doubt. Goes in both directions. When hysterics melt down at every opportunity there’s another cohort that’s going to comment on it.

No one’s telling you you can’t start fresh again next year. I’m sure you will.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There is no need to suck up with self-serving apologies. It's pathetic, and no one cares.
This coda of sorts strikes me as a needless attempt to control the conversation beyond any person's capability...and for no apparent reason.

Each of its 4 assertions is questionable, and all are presented as though they are the only way. At best, you are unpersuasive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is not a good look. I am all for honesty, candor and authenticity. And I get the whole New Jersey don't take any bull spit attitude.

But "jerk off" and "arse hat" need to be removed from her vocabulary because it really doesn't help. It lowers the conversation to vulgarity. It reflects on her husband and the university. And it will turn off as many people as it pleases. It's a net loser.
I get your turn the other cheek opinion, but don't think for a NY minute people from CT cannot stand up for themselves. This is not a New Jersey bull spit attitude. Its a pizzed off wife of a D1 head coach that was assaulted at a basketball game. This while attending a game at a parochial school. That and nothing done about it. I have always had respect for PC's basketball program but much of that is lost now.

I don’t think anyone truly cares. Maybe shift the conversation to a member of our coaches family getting spit on. She can call them whatever she pleases
Botta bing, botta boom! Our society has gotten to the point that a coaches family has to have professional security to watch a game. Sad.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
F8AC95E4-567E-4AA1-95EC-BB4D6EBDDAB8.jpeg

Reaction Score
I look back and see I didn't get any likes when I stated two years ago "Hurley is way ahead of where JC was". I thinks it's OK to enjoy the Championship with over doing the JC love. Yes, he brought us into this world. But he also almost took us out of it.

This take is strange at best. Two different worlds to compare and your take two years ago still isn’t correct. But you can think what you want lol.

Reaction Score
I get your turn the other cheek opinion, but don't think for a NY minute people from CT cannot stand up for themselves. This is not a New Jersey bull spit attitude. Its a pizzed off wife of a D1 head coach that was assaulted at a basketball game. This while attending a game at a parochial school. That and nothing done about it. I have always had respect for PC's basketball program but much of that is lost now.

Botta bing, botta boom! Our society has gotten to the point that a coaches family has to have professional security to watch a game. Sad.
As I recall this is not a new 'societal' issue - Calhoun didn't allow his family to attend games at Providence either.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
lol. The double big. The sign of someone who has no ******** clue about modern basketball.

We won a title precisely because we did not use a double big. I hope most people see that, though I do not have faith that they do.
I think most people were yelling for double big in our rough stretch to shake things up and show teams a different look than what they scouted for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This take is strange at best. Two different worlds to compare and your take two years ago still isn’t correct. But you can think what you want lol.
Me right, you wrong. Never gets old.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Here we go with revisionist history. There are plenty of people on the board with knowledge and sufficient experience to know what they were looking at, and many of criticisms were situational and valid. It hasn’t been 5 years of perfection. Not even close. Where he’s come to after 5 years is a really good coach that figured out how to win in the big moment and why that isn’t sufficient in itself is a curiosity,
Honestly, there were some people who were on the money with the adjustments that needed to be made (and they were) and we were much better for it. There’s literally receipts of it.

I’m not sure why some folks don’t like to acknowledge that there are people who aren’t coaches who understand basketball well too.

Hurley changed A LOT this year, something he admitted. He also leaned A LOT on all the resources around the program at his disposal as he should. All those things lead to great success for us that we’re all happy to see. Now that Hurley has gotten over that hump and sees what works I’m excited about where we go from here.

Reaction Score
One thing I'm pretty sure of, the haters didn't enjoy the ride as much as the rest of us. They're still waiting to play the "I told you so" card on the next close loss.

It's funny. Throughout the title run, i sporadically thought about a particular poster who i only remember seeing after the first loss of the season. The team was 14-1, #4 in the country, and he didn't even wait for loss #2 to ask if we (the BY i assume) were still "with Hurley".

He spelled "cardiac" wrong. Although, in his defense, even DH thought the phrase was "party at Kemba". He said it in one of the press conferences, i believe after iona or st marys when talking about how this team didn't rely on 1 on 1 play.

Back to the poster, i don't think his objections had much to do with actual basketball. I don't begrudge people their biases. I certainly have them, but at 14-1, the argument didn't make much sense, and i suspect we wont see him for a while now since DH has as many titles as the coach he preferred.

Reaction Score
I think most people were yelling for double big in our rough stretch to shake things up and show teams a different look than what they scouted for.
People were calling for the double big even during the 14-0 stretch. It got louder because those dopes thought it justified their position. But it's not hard to find this stuff from November-December.

Reaction Score
I didn’t melt but I definitely had moments that in my own head wondered if this staff would put it all together. Which is crazy now to think because this team was constructed perfectly, motivated, coached, everything, in a way where it reminded me of the best Calhoun teams. Hurley is the real deal. Even with down seasons that will surely follow we should remember he knows how to pull it all together. Feels like we are set from a coaching standpoint for some time.

Reaction Score
It's flawed, but decently reflective of the, "You are what your record says" school of thought, and thereby not nearly as bad as your claim.

Either way, consider that going into this season, Hurley had middling success in the past coaching victories over Boeheim (22), Sampson (5), and Cronin (9) before the 2021-2022 season.

In 2021-22, DH went 1-5 against Pearl (8), Huggins (16) Cooley, and McDermott (25).

This past season, Hurley went 8-2 against Few (2), Musselman (10), Pitino (11), Cooley (21), Altman (23), Bennett (24), and McDermott (25).

Seems to be trending well.

We will agree to disagree on some of this. "You are what your record says you are" doesn't take into account a lot of nuance.

For instance: looking just by the numbers (a blind comparison without lots of context), anyone would take Boehiem over Hurley. The same may be said for Painter, Barnes, and Underwood. Even before last week I would have probably disagreed.

But you're right, our guy is trending up (trends being one of the nuanced criteria I would use)

Reaction Score
And that is why they comment on a message board and don't coach basketball.

Reaction Score
I also was concerned that Hurley might not be the guy. So glad he showed us what he’s made of and how wrong some of us were. He reflected, made changes and made some big adjustments. Plus he’s a good family guy, the kids love him and he’s still fairly young. We’re incredibly blessed to have him.

Reaction Score
I'm really glad you're happy now and have changed your tune, but you had many many many more issues with Hurley than just fighting with the referees...for example:

View attachment 86980 View attachment 86981

All in the past, let's radiate positivity and win back-to-back :)

It never surprises me when people "forget" what they've been saying all along.

Reaction Score
It’s always good to own up to it and eat your crow but don’t apologize.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep I agree pretty simple. Hurley way ahead of JC is laughable you have to be an idiot lol.
Finish the thought. DH is way ahead of JC at the 3 year mark and the 5 year mark. It's all good! Fairways and greens, old man!

Reaction Score
Finish the thought. DH is way ahead of JC at the 3 year mark and the 5 year mark. It's all good! Fairways and greens, old man!
Apples and Oranges let’s think for once before we look so foolish. Just a stupid comparison, UConn wasn’t anything when one of these 2 took over. When the other took over there were 4 national championship banners hanging. Nice try though hope you can chip well because your approach shot was fat!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom