My Apologies to Dan Hurley | The Boneyard

My Apologies to Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
For most of this year I have questioned Dan Hurley's coaching ability. I was willing to acknowledge that he could recruit but I thought that he fell short in managing the game. I guess this shows what I know. I was totally wrong and I apologize. This title run puts him up there in Jim Calhoun territory. Not there yet but moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
For most of this year I have questioned Dan Hurley's coaching ability. I was willing to acknowledge that he could recruit but I thought that he fell short in managing the game. I guess this shows what I know. I was totally wrong and I apologize. This title run puts him up there in Jim Calhoun territory. Not there yet but moving in the right direction.

These kinds of posts can only be good for building up next year’s mojo!

Appreciate it… Let’s hope you opened up the floodgates for more posts like this! Let’s go back to back!

Reaction Score

It takes a Big man to own up. Not that anyone needed it. You were entitled to your opinion, but kudos to you for putting your name on it. It's all good

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Meh, Hurley admitting he was making mistakes. Those very mistakes people here were pointing out.

Play better on ball defense
AJ being goaded into bad shots
Finding more minutes for Clingan
Getting more production from the bench.
Getting Sanogo to focus on his bread an butter and no his NBA resume.

These are the very things we wanted fixed, and somehow this board figured it out first. The critics were right but he responded like a champion. No need for apologies.

Reaction Score
Meh, Hurley admitting he was making mistakes. Those very mistakes people here were pointing out.

These are the very things we wanted fixed, and somehow this board figured it out first. The critics were right but he responded like a champion. No need for apologies.

So go win a championship if you’re so smart.

Throwing a million takes out on a message board has you feeling like you did something. Hurley’s great, 90% of the fanbase is, too. The rest of you? Go be miserable, but do it far away and quieter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of us questioned about Hurley, especially coming from URI. But he had a clear vision for the program and the massive ability to achieve it. Hope Jim Mora can achieve his vision for the football team within a couple of years.

Reaction Score

Can't tell if this is sarcasm, or you actually believe it, but it was funny either way.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the staff has the benefit of the doubt now if we are going through a rough patch. It should be known that if the issue is fixable, the staff will be working hard to fix it. This doesn't seem like a group that rests on its laurels. Criticism is always part of fandom warranted or not. Hopefully when its warranted, it will be presented in a more contructive manner rather than emotional doomsday freakouts and calls for terminating someones job. I think DH and the staff at least earned that. Those posts look beyond ridiculous given what has transpired. I also know fans are fans and you can't control what everyone does and this is The Boneyard. In other words forget everything I just said. I'm taking the over on 10 freakouts before halftime of our first Maui Classic game in November.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the staff has the benefit of the doubt now if we are going through a rough patch. It should be known that if the issue is fixable, the staff will be working hard to fix it. This doesn't seem like a group that rests on its laurels. Criticism is always part of fandom warranted or not. Hopefully when it’s warranted, it will be presented in a more contructive manner rather than emotional doomsday freakouts and calls for terminating someones job. I think DH and the staff at least earned that. Those posts look beyond ridiculous given what has transpired. I also know fans are fans and you can't control what everyone does and this is The Boneyard. In other words forget everything I just said. I'm taking the over on 10 freakouts before halftime of our first Maui Classic game in November.

Maui Classic is in 2024. No way we’re going that long with only ten freakouts!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I was also critical and criticized. More because I wanted to wait until after the tournament to declare the team and the newcomers were great. They were.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

You pompous pantload...

Reaction Score

At no point this season was Sanogo focusing on his NBA resume an issue. Clingan's minutes didn't change in any appreciable way.

Reaction Score

But is Hurley still on the hot seat? The absurd Hurley takes on this board were great amusement.

This was DH's first job at this level. It was natural that there would be some growing pains. But to anyone who took even a moment to examine his W/L record and the trajectory of his recruiting rankings the trend was clear.

Congratulations for finally figuring it out. All it took was a National Championship.

Reaction Score

Throwing a million takes out on a message board has you feeling like you did something. Hurley’s great, 90% of the fanbase is, too. The rest of you? Go be miserable, but do it far away and quieter.

You don't think the board's observation to "play better defense" didn't prompt a coaching adjustment by Hurley?!?!?!

Reaction Score

I love how people think saying stuff like Andre taking bad shots is some solution to something. Pointing out something general and actually fixing it are two completely different things. To take it a step further. Just saying he should be playing closer to the basket isn't a solution either. Everyone thinks they are Dean Smith on a message board. Truth is 99.9% of the people on here, including me, wouldn't have a clue how to deal with stuff at this level. I'm not talking about the dial down attitude with the refs stuff. I'm talking about basketball accumen. Making the simplest observations like "play better defense" or "stop shooting" and then thinking "Yay, I'm a coach. Our coach doesn't know how to fix this but I could." Is embarrassing. Next time you have an electrician or plumber at your house, tell him you know better than him how to do his job. See how it goes for you. There are some people on this board that have good basketball knowledge. I really appreciate what those people offer. There are also a lot of us that think we have good basketball knowledge. I myself am "ok" but certainly limited. I watch a ton for years and played when I was younger but never coached or anything like that. I am not equipped to fix a team that just lost 6 of 8. I would have to be delusional to think that. With that said, coaching basketball at UConn is not the same. Noticing a problem or making an observation is not the same as performing triage on an entire offense in real time or in practice for that matter. It's easy to see what's not working. I often can do that. I also would be a stammering idiot if everyone was looking at me for a solution during a timeout. The one thing I could say is that I was correct about (as were many others) is that we needed more shooting and better guards to win big on this level again. The 3 point shot and spacing are too important in todays game. This was just an observation and required no X's & O's or coaching knowledge. I also am aware that Hurley and his staff also knew this. I wasn't smarter than them or knew something they didn't.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
You realize there's a difference (and a time lag) between seeing an issue and actually implementing changes that successfully fix the problems, right? I'm just going to assume that was sarcasm.

Reaction Score
Danny has been working on his craft for a long time.. His brother's natural talent was as a point guard-player..His Dad's was as a coach mentor.. Danny has taken the path less traveled..

He just ran the table on Pitino/Bennett/Musselman/Few/Larranaga/Dutcher..Many of whom (exception Pitino--already there) will be HOF CBB coaches.. If you don't see Danny's talent.. You're not paying attention or don't know what you're watching. Unique skill...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The apology is worth a plug nickel to me. The admission that you know nothing is the real value. Takes a real man to admit their stupidity. :)

Reaction Score
At no point this season was Sanogo focusing on his NBA resume an issue. Clingan's minutes didn't change in any appreciable way.
Also, every minute Clingan was on the court was a minute of rest for Adama, which served him well as the season got to one and done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom