Music: Favorite Jazz piece or album | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Music: Favorite Jazz piece or album

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
When I was a kid I had a Miles Davis album that included a very slow version of this tune. It must have been recorded soon after the famous blowup between Miles and Monk, because it was just about farcical. I don’t remember which soloist, but one of the solos included a full rendition of Pop goes the Weasel, and during Miles’s solo, the piano was feeding him chords and arpeggios that could have also been from nursery rhyme tunes.
Miles blew up at everybody. In Coltrane's favorite words when asked what was Miles like he said, "I don't know, he always seemed to be pissed off". Read Ron Carter's Finding The Right Notes for more little tidbits about Miles, how he had Carter do about everything in the band, and how often he'd stiff them all for money. The only thing Miles had the most respect for and had his longest relationship with was his horn, and even that was a stormy pairing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My favorite jazz album; Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain"
I know other people who love it. It has never clicked for me. I'll have to give it another listen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I know other people who love it. It has never clicked for me. I'll have to give it another listen.
Count me among those who love it. I don’t find it all that jazzy, but that’s certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Miles isn’t my favorite artist, but he may be the one I respect the most. some of my favorite albums of his, Sketches, Kind of Blue, Jack Johnson, and Birth of the Cool. Each is completely different from the others.

Reaction Score
NY Times article today: 9/14/53, trio of Monk, Mingus and Roy Haynes, joined by Charlie Parker; in the audience, Jack Kerouac!

Reaction Score
This is a live version of "San Lorenzo" by the Pat Metheny Group recorded back in 1977 in Seattle, Washington. It's taken from a 4 song vinyl promotional EP that was released to radio stations only. I've heard all the different versions of this song over the years, this one is definitely my favorite:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Heard a nice piece by Art Pepper entitled Patricia.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I will add a new artist to the list Melody Gardot, love listening to her.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I will add a new artist to the list Melody Gardot, love listening to her.
She is a lovely talent. Smooth and subtle and powerful all at once. Somewhere Over The Rainbow Live is a good choice to listen for.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen this tune mentioned yet, but listened to it the other day and just love it.

Moanin' by Art Blakely and the Jazz Messengers. With Lee Morgan on trumpet and Bobby Timmons on piano, who wrote the song.

Reaction Score
Theres a really nice version of 'Cherokee' out there featuring Stan Getz and Lionel Hampton. Its pretty fine.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Been watching a television series on Prime. Called Bosch and it's about a detective who listens to jazz on vinyl. Lots of great music. Heard Doxy from Bags Groove album tonight.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Haven't seen this tune mentioned yet, but listened to it the other day and just love it.

Moanin' by Art Blakely and the Jazz Messengers. With Lee Morgan on trumpet and Bobby Timmons on piano, who wrote the song.
Man I love Moanin'. Jazzmeia Horn does a nice vocal version on her album "A Social Call". What a young singer she is. For me Lee's solo on "A Night In Tunisia" has few equals.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Been watching a television series on Prime. Called Bosch and it's about a detective who listens to jazz on vinyl. Lots of great music. Heard Doxy from Bags Groove album tonight.
New to me. Now it looks like "Bosch" is on my list.

JordyG

Reaction Score
She is a lovely talent. Smooth and subtle and powerful all at once. Somewhere Over The Rainbow Live is a good choice to listen for.

Melody Gardot's back story is inspirational. Through unimaginable hard work and perseverance she has willed herself back to a semblance of health and carved out a career for herself. She is some woman. Frankly however, I prefer Cyrille Aimee (not Madeline Peyroux, Ugh) to her.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Melody Gardot's back story is inspirational. Through unimaginable hard work and perseverance she has willed herself back to a semblance of health and carved out a career for herself. She is some woman. Frankly however, I prefer Cyrille Aimee (not Madeline Peyroux, Ugh) to her.
Here is Ms Aimee performing "Nuit Blanche". Pretty nice stuff.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Here is Ms Aimee performing "Nuit Blanche". Pretty nice stuff.

Funnily enough she, McClorin Salvant, Cecil Taylor, Branford Marsalis and a host of others all live here in Brooklyn's thriving jazz community. Cyrille is a fine scatter, but Jazzmeia Horn is in a league far above in this skill.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Funnily enough she, McClorin Salvant, Cecil Taylor, Branford Marsalis and a host of others all live here in Brooklyn's thriving jazz community. Cyrille is a fine scatter, but Jazzmeia Horn is in a league far above in this skill.
Correction: live/lived unless Cecil Taylor worked something out. Which wouldn’t surprise me. His music was for sure otherworldly.

Here’s his take on trad jazz:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Can't argue with any of the selections/suggestions. Many old favorites of mine and many that I am looking forward to listening to. I can't say that the following two are my faves, but, since no one has even mentioned old get-down gut-bucket Dixieland, and since these two groups are so much fun to listen to and watch, I will nominate;

JordyG

Reaction Score
Correction: live/lived unless Cecil Taylor worked something out. Which wouldn’t surprise me. His music was for sure otherworldly.

Here’s his take on trad jazz:

Yes lived. I was a mover for 10 years and I initially met Cecil, then later his band members, when he used my company, and I, to move him. For the few years I knew him he was a complex, engaging and highly intellectual man.

Reaction Score
Man I love Moanin'. Jazzmeia Horn does a nice vocal version on her album "A Social Call". What a young singer she is. For me Lee's solo on "A Night In Tunisia" has few equals.

Lee Morgan has few equals. His work as a sideman is definitely HOF stuff.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Lee Morgan has few equals. His work as a sideman is definitely HOF stuff.
So so true. Here's a question. Who sits on your Mount Rushmore of horn players? Remember, only 4.

Reaction Score
Paul Desmond...anything he played.
The Modern Jazz Quartet...saw them at Jorgensen, sometime in the mid-1980's if memory serves.
Paul Desmond with the MJQ, only one album I believe but what an album.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom