JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Great question.

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Dexter Gordon
Hank Mobley
I got Dizzy, Bird, Louis, and Trane. Miles once called Mobley the welterweight champion of the world, meaning of course Trane was the heavyweight champ. Now, strictly trumpet, Mt. Rushmore. I have Louis, Dizzy, Miles and Freddie. Strictly tenor, Trane, Sonny, Webster, and Hank./Dexter (Okay, I cheated. Sue me.). What cha got?

Reaction Score
I got Dizzy, Bird, Louis, and Trane. Miles once called Mobley the welterweight champion of the world, meaning of course Trane was the heavyweight champ. Now, strictly trumpet, Mt. Rushmore. I have Louis, Dizzy, Miles and Freddie. Strictly tenor, Trane, Sonny, Webster, and Hank./Dexter (Okay, I cheated. Sue me.). What cha got?

I put Morgan and Brown ahead of Freddie. And agree with your tenors.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I put Morgan and Brown ahead of Freddie. And agree with your tenors.
This is so great. It's like arguing what's better, winning 100 million in the lottery in January or February. You win. Wait, I win. Wait, we both win.

I went to see Benny Golson a few months ago and Benny is a real talker. Before he played "I Remember Clifford" he spoke for 10 mins about Clifford, gave some anecdotes, and said how to this day he still misses him. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
This is so great. It's like arguing what's better, winning 100 million in the lottery in January or February. You win. Wait, I win. Wait, we both win.

I went to see Benny Golson a few months ago and Benny is a real talker. Before he played "I Remember Clifford" he spoke for 10 mins about Clifford, gave some anecdotes, and said how to this day he still misses him. Great stuff.

Clifford Brown had such a brief career because of his tragic death at a young age. Perhaps that’s why he is often not mentioned when discussing the best of the trumpet players. Such a wonderful and lyrical style.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Clifford Brown had such a brief career because of his tragic death at a young age. Perhaps that’s why he is often not mentioned when discussing the best of the trumpet players. Such a wonderful and lyrical style.
Agreed. Like Fats Navarro his body of work just isn't big enough. Neither had a chance to do their "Thermo" or "Birdlike". Last year I saw Jeremy Pelt, Buster Williams, George Cables and Tootie Heath at Smoke here in NYC and they did a nice rendition of "Birdlike", but have you ever seen this from Freddie? Incredible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom