OT: - Murder Hornets!? | The Boneyard

OT: Murder Hornets!?

Reaction Score
Imminent and repelling Cicada Invasion 2020 for us here in VA. These plagues are positively biblical.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I can get 'em off in 8-10 on manslaughter ... doesn't help having "murder" in their name though, jury won't look kindly on that.
Then pummel the jury with Vespa mandarinia. Sounds better.

1588603241883.png

Reaction Score
We have these in our area and they make bumble bees look small too. Saw one hovering near a flowering plant and first thought it was a humming bird. Turns out it's an Eastern Cicada killer and here's one doing its job.

1588605474684.png

Reaction Score
The NY Times story on these hornets is outstanding.
Yeah, the one I linked above is the first one. It's an interesting read. the second article I saw on this from the NY Times is linked here.

The so-called murder hornets, which have surfaced for the first time in the United States, have a particular appetite for bees and specialize in group attacks. The slaughter begins when a worker hornet spots a colony, marks it with a pheromone and then brings a backup crew of between two and 50 others. While a honeybee hive can have thousands of residents, hornets can wipe out the entire population in hours.

During one recorded slaughter examined by researchers, each hornet killed one bee every 14 seconds, using powerful mandibles to decapitate its prey.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the thing...it's not like regular hornets are any picnic.

I, for one, welcome the challenge.

Had a real bad experience with some white faced hornets as a kid. Was in the backyard hitting some baseballs and one of the baseballs hit a nest of hornets. I went to get the ball and got nailed with about 15-20 stings in arms and legs. Screaming like a bitch and doing the stop, drop and roll. With this being in the early 80's there was no going to the doctor or ER. Mom cut an onion in half and started rubbing it all over the bites. That night when dad came home from workhe soaked a t-shirt in gas tied it to a pole and we watched all the hornets fly in to the nest and then we lit the torch and torched the nest.

Reaction Score
Had a real bad experience with some white faced hornets as a kid. Was in the backyard hitting some baseballs and one of the baseballs hit a nest of hornets. I went to get the ball and got nailed with about 15-20 stings in arms and legs. Screaming like a bitch and doing the stop, drop and roll. With this being in the early 80's there was no going to the doctor or ER. Mom cut an onion in half and started rubbing it all over the bites. That night when dad came home from workhe soaked a t-shirt in gas tied it to a pole and we watched all the hornets fly in to the nest and then we lit the torch and torched the nest.

Righteous eye for an eye!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Did the same thing except I was playing football and caught a sideline pass and fell into a bush. Thought I was in a briar patch, but no it was yellow jackets. I stripped to my birthday suit while my buddies all told me to run then make a cut because they cant see side ways so I did and of course bees can see 360. Counted 46 stings and you guessed it one on Unit 1!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I always have 2-3 cans of that hornet/wasp jet spray on hand now. Soak that nest at range, then torch it at night.

When I was a stupid kid my friend Joe and I took out a ton of them using nothing but a garden hose a can of Final Net and a lighter. The hair spray does double duty, knocks them out of the air for a couple of minutes and when they hit the ground it becomes a handy flame thrower.

Reaction Score

I've had a couple of similar experiences that involved a dozen + stings. One was a simple walk in the woods and apparently I stepped on a subterranean nest. I felt a burning sensation on my arm and looked down and I was covered in hornets. The other time I kind of deserved it. I spotted an underground nest in my yard and enjoyed harassing them by driving over it with my tractor. In subsequent weeks I would push my luck by making additional passes. One week I went to far and on about the fourth drive over the nest they were waiting. I had to jump off the still moving tractor and make a run for it.

After that last incident I decided to move beyond harassment and destroy the nest. I tried all kinds of sprays, foams, smokes etc... None of them worked. My wife found an interesting approach. Apparently there are usually two holes into/out of the nest but they only use one. You monitor the nest to see which hole they use then put a glass bowl over it. You then get to observe as they buzz around in the bowl and eventually die after a 2-3 days. They refuse to save themselves by using the other opening. Fascinating.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the one I linked above is the first one. It's an interesting read. the second article I saw on this from the NY Times is linked here.

The so-called murder hornets, which have surfaced for the first time in the United States, have a particular appetite for bees and specialize in group attacks. The slaughter begins when a worker hornet spots a colony, marks it with a pheromone and then brings a backup crew of between two and 50 others. While a honeybee hive can have thousands of residents, hornets can wipe out the entire population in hours.

During one recorded slaughter examined by researchers, each hornet killed one bee every 14 seconds, using powerful mandibles to decapitate its prey.

Sounds like an easy fix.....capture the worker hornet and duplicate the pheromone and attract all the bees to one location. May I suggest Syracuse

Reaction Score
Apparently there are usually two holes into/out of the nest but they only use one. You monitor the nest to see which hole they use then put a glass bowl over it. You then get to observe as they buzz around in the bowl and eventually die after a 2-3 days. They refuse to save themselves by using the other opening. Fascinating.

Not sure about that. Remember watching them go into the ground one time as a kid. Observed for a few minutes, and then came to the obvious conclusion that plugging the hole with a stick would be a good idea. It didn't end well.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that. Remember watching them go into the ground one time as a kid. Observed for a few minutes, and then came to the obvious conclusion that plugging the hole with a stick would be a good idea. It didn't end well.

All I know is after a few days the ground under the bowl was strewn with dozens of dead yellow jackets and there was never any further activity in the nest.

Reaction Score
The other hole was probably plugged

Nope. It was close by and seemed available for egress. I just checked and found an article that says to cover all holes. All I know is we just covered one and it worked. Unless the second hole was plugged underground. Seems unlikely but who knows.

Now that I'm in the south I have been battling these carpenter bees that are perforating my deck. I don't remember having these in CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom