OT: - Murder Hornets!? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Murder Hornets!?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Had a real bad experience with some white faced hornets as a kid. Was in the backyard hitting some baseballs and one of the baseballs hit a nest of hornets. I went to get the ball and got nailed with about 15-20 stings in arms and legs. Screaming like a bitch and doing the stop, drop and roll. With this being in the early 80's there was no going to the doctor or ER. Mom cut an onion in half and started rubbing it all over the bites. That night when dad came home from workhe soaked a t-shirt in gas tied it to a pole and we watched all the hornets fly in to the nest and then we lit the torch and torched the nest.
Was the hornet nest a double or a triple?

Reaction Score
Nope. It was close by and seemed available for egress. I just checked and found an article that says to cover all holes. All I know is we just covered one and it worked. Unless the second hole was plugged underground. Seems unlikely but who knows.

Now that I'm in the south I have been battling these carpenter bees that are perforating my deck. I don't remember having these in CT.
They're here... for years.

On the wasps issues... there is a free service you can call. They come and remove the nest. They sell the venom and it must be pretty profitable.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I was mowing a neighbor's lawn once when I was in HS and I slammed into an old tree stump. I got attacked by hornets...stung about 10 times. Very next summer, same neighbors lawn, and the mower goes up in flames. Never mowed their lawn again.

Reaction Score
A little OT, but bees get a bad rap. People always talk about getting bee stings. Very few people have ever been stung by a bee. It's because a lot of people make the mistake of calling a yellow jacket a bee. It is not a bee. A yellow jacket is a wasp.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Nope. It was close by and seemed available for egress. I just checked and found an article that says to cover all holes. All I know is we just covered one and it worked. Unless the second hole was plugged underground. Seems unlikely but who knows.

Now that I'm in the south I have been battling these carpenter bees that are perforating my deck. I don't remember having these in CT.
I had carpenter bees on the Cape. Pain in the ass. Once a year I had my pest guy inject the holes with an insecticide. Eventually they went away

Reaction Score
I live in Japan and I've run into these a few times during the summer, but never had any particularly close encounters. Hoping to keep it that way.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wouldn't even know how to begin to answer that question.
Like in wiffle ball...you hit the roof its a homer. Hit just before the woods edge is a double. Hit the shed in the far corner its a triple.

Hit a hornet nest...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I had carpenter bees on the Cape. Pain in the ass. Once a year I had my pest guy inject the holes with an insecticide. Eventually they went away
Or did they?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
One of my main sources of entertainment on youthful Summer days was throwing rocks at hives. I got stung a lot less when I took up new hobbies.

Reaction Score
These things are all the rage now. Apparently they are as delicious as they are deadly.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Go Connecticut State Insect!!!!!!!!!

But now I wonder if the hornet was incapacitated in some way.

Other than having its head slowly eaten?
Oh. You meant beforehand?
Never Mind.

Signed,
Emily Litella

Reaction Score
Oh man, the mantis got it in a full nelson and then went straight for the brain. After the head is completely gone the stinger is still twitching around looking for a target. Badass.

Reaction Score
Imminent and repelling Cicada Invasion 2020 for us here in VA. These plagues are positively biblical.

Worldwide pandemic, Locust warms in Africa and now killer wasps. Sure why not? Its 2020!

Reaction Score
20200504_220759.jpg

Reaction Score
I found this youtuber a while ago, and have lost countless hours:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members