Muffet vs. Joanne | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Muffet vs. Joanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not sure I'm with you on this one Nan. If UConn didn't have a massive 2nd half meltdown (including DT's non-appearance) they sure wouldn't have that one. I think they were lucky Taurasi was a no show for that game.
No credit to Notre Dame for its defense of DT, making her rush her shots? No credit to ND for taking advantage of Diana's poor night? Geez.

I don't think they give trophies for "Should Have Won National Championship If..." scenarios.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Are you sure her contract goes to 2019? They should buy her out and hire someone who can build a team and understands the game, Jeff Waltz, for example. Maybe he's too funny for that particular job. Anyway, time to move on.
The numbers game is asinine...The sad thing is that everyone has Coach P's number.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How if your Duke do you consider replacing McCallie? Who do you hire that would have the level of success that she has had? Muffett and Walz aren't leaving their respective schools as the schools would match whatever Duke offered. Plus Duke wouldn't be a step up for either coach with the success the coaches have had.

Now do I think McCallie is the right coach to get Duke a National Championship. I'm not sure, but based on her tenure at Duke, my leanings are no she's not. But I get back to the question, who do you hire? Now if Duke could pry Kim Mulkey out of Baylor, that would be my first choice. But then would Kim's sideline antics fit Duke's Academic Culture. She would fit the Duke Students and they would love her, but would Coach K and the Athletic Department? If Kim was coaching the current Duke players for a couple of years, they would have given both ND and UConn a tougher game and wouldn't surprise me if they don't win at least one if not both games since they were held at Duke.

I think Duke is stuck with McCallie as she'll have the level of success that will make it difficult to fire her. Now if a Big Money Donor Booster gets involved which usually doesn't happen with Women's Basketball that could change. She's also young enough so there still is time for her to get Duke a National Championship.

Reaction Score
? Not sure what luck you're referring to. Muffet had the best center in the game in 2001, Ruth Riley, to go with her All-American point guard, Niele Ivey. That was a darned good Notre Dame team that earned its National Championship.

As for Duke, we're still waiting....
The reference to being "lucky" wasn't directed to ND's championship but rather its lack of multiple titles. Until they win another (and Duke 2) they needn't be regarded as anything more than lucky (at least in Geno's sphere).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Floyd Patterson never gave that up; as an announcer later, "Clay"
still came out of his mouth.
I occasionally still use Alcindor. And Bobby Moore. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The reference to being "lucky" wasn't directed to ND's championship but rather its lack of multiple titles. Until they win another (and Duke 2) they needn't be regarded as anything more than lucky (at least in Geno's sphere).
Good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who understood what mhs was saying.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
McCallie started this back when Maya played. She would continually refer to Maya as "#23," and justified it at the time by saying she didn't want her players to be too caught up in an opponent's name, reputation, etc. I'm sure her players were convinced that #23 was nothing special.

Why do it when talking with the media? It's a practice that is dehumanizing, disrespectful and weird.

JPM did this when Michigan State played Baylor in the 2005 NCAA championship game. I find it disprespectful and it was the beginning of me thinking she was a bit snotty and arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom