Muffet vs. Joanne | The Boneyard

Muffet vs. Joanne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's a recent tweet from Muffet, who doesn't seem very active on twitter:

Muffet McGraw ‏@MuffetMcGraw 5h
Darn, knew we forgot something on our trip this past weekend..note to self: remember to pack "Hello, my name is...stickers for #21,11 &15

Presumably a bit of Muffet's Philly (Geno-esque) humor on McCallie's refusal to refer to opposing players by name.

On edit: I'm with Muffet in this battle.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
HA! Love it.
I find that schtick of McCallie's to be so classless...that team just beat you by 20, and you don't know their names? Seriously? Half those girls play together in AAU or USA basketball, I'm sure they are friendly with each other. It smacks of tacky to me.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
She pulled the same stunt after the UConn game. Refused to name KML, Stewie, etc.

I also noticed that Muffet did a very fast fly-by of Coach P. in the handshake line but hugged one of the assistants.

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw ‏@MuffetMcGraw 5h
Darn, knew we forgot something on our trip this past weekend..note to self: remember to pack "Hello, my name is...stickers for #21,11 &15

Presumably a bit of Muffet's Philly (Geno-esque) humor on McCallie's refusal to refer to opposing players by name.

On edit: I'm with Muffet in this battle.

I think it was Louisville that did the same, so that players weren't intimidated by the player or the name on the shirt. Just another basketball game against another team with numbers on their shirts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She pulled the same stunt after the UConn game. Refused to name KML, Stewie, etc.

I also noticed that Muffet did a very fast fly-by of Coach P. in the handshake line but hugged one of the assistants.

McCallie started this back when Maya played. She would continually refer to Maya as "#23," and justified it at the time by saying she didn't want her players to be too caught up in an opponent's name, reputation, etc. I'm sure her players were convinced that #23 was nothing special.

Why do it when talking with the media? It's a practice that is dehumanizing, disrespectful and weird.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
McCallie started this back when Maya played. She would continually refer to Maya as "#23," and justified it at the time by saying she didn't want her players to be too caught up in an opponent's name, reputation, etc. I'm sure her players were convinced that #23 was nothing special.

It's a practice that is dehumanizing, disrespectful and weird.

This practice is also clearly not working, as evidenced by McCallie's record against UConn while at Duke:
- 0 wins, 7 losses
- All losses by at least 16 points
- Six out of seven losses by 22+ points
- Five losses by 27+ points

#Lessons
#LearningExperiences

McCallie is 0-3 against Muffet while at Duke. In all three games, Duke has been outscored by double digits in the second half alone (18 in the first game, 17 in the second game, and 11 in the third game yesterday). The first two were on neutral courts; yesterday's loss was at home. So no home court advantage for ND in any of these games.

#Lessons
#LearningExperiences

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Regarding Coach "P" - if that weren't weird enough - yeah, the 23, 30 etc. is frankly simplistic junk and a possible insight into her coaching insight/skills. The Duke hardcore are pretty sick of her. How she tweets about HS AAs one day and throws her team under the bus after a game the next and has no apparent self awareness of how that plays.... Clueless.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Regarding Coach "P" - if that weren't weird enough - yeah, the 23, 30 etc. is frankly simplistic junk and a possible insight into her coaching insight/skills. The Duke hardcore are pretty sick of her. How she tweets about HS AAs one day and throws her team under the bus after a game the next and has no apparent self awareness of how that plays.... Clueless.

Maybe the statements about 23, 30, etc. were not about the player jerseys, but just her references to the margins by which UConn defeated Duke during her tenure with the Blue Devils. :D

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Regarding Coach "P" - if that weren't weird enough - yeah, the 23, 30 etc. is frankly simplistic junk and a possible insight into her coaching insight/skills. The Duke hardcore are pretty sick of her. How she tweets about HS AAs one day and throws her team under the bus after a game the next and has no apparent self awareness of how that plays....

#Clueless.

Fixed it for you...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe the statements about 23, 30, etc. were not about the player jerseys, but just her references to the margins by which UConn defeated Duke during her tenure with the Blue Devils. :D

I just read on your board that she got a contract extension until 2019? If that is true you will be driving to Gampel games by then and we will have totally converted you!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wonder what yesterday's "Special Guests" thought of the whole routine...

Reaction Score
I dont see the big deal.
But if players get bent out of shape by it, they can use it as a motivating tactic.

I recall a story about one of Muhammad Ali's opponents kept referring to him as Cassius Clay before the match. Ali was winning the fight easily so he'd say to the guy "What's my name?" and the guy stubbornly kept saying "Clay". Every time he did that, Ali pounded him harder.

Reaction Score
Muffet or Joanne, who cares. As Geno said: one championship that's nice, two championships, well maybe that's something more than luck. So far they are both just lucky.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
JoAnne P. is hardly the only coach using that technique.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Perhaps the earliest practitioner of this sort of technique was Franklin D. Roosevelt. He never ever mentioned his opponent's name when campaigning, which he justified by rationalizing that mere mention of his adversary's name was a form of free publicity. Instead he usually resorted to scornful reference to "my opponent."

It worked for FDR. He was elected president four times.

Doesn't seem to work forCoach "P."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Muffet or Joanne, who cares. As Geno said: one championship that's nice, two championships, well maybe that's something more than luck. So far they are both just lucky.
? Not sure what luck you're referring to. Muffet had the best center in the game in 2001, Ruth Riley, to go with her All-American point guard, Niele Ivey. That was a darned good Notre Dame team that earned its National Championship.

As for Duke, we're still waiting....

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
? Not sure what luck you're referring to. Muffet had the best center in the game in 2001, Ruth Riley, to go with her All-American point guard, Niele Ivey. That was a darned good Notre Dame team that earned its National Championship.

As for Duke, we're still waiting....

Not sure I'm with you on this one Nan. If UConn didn't have a massive 2nd half meltdown (including DT's non-appearance) they sure wouldn't have that one. I think they were lucky Taurasi was a no show for that game.

Reaction Score
I dont see the big deal.
But if players get bent out of shape by it, they can use it as a motivating tactic.

I recall a story about one of Muhammad Ali's opponents kept referring to him as Cassius Clay before the match. Ali was winning the fight easily so he'd say to the guy "What's my name?" and the guy stubbornly kept saying "Clay". Every time he did that, Ali pounded him harder.

Ernie Terrell, 1974 http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=26778&more=1

More recently Bill Parcells, when coaching the Cowboys, insisted on calling Terrell Owens (who was forced on him by owner and grocery shopper Jerry Jones) "The Player."

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I dont see the big deal.

I recall a story about one of Muhammad Ali's opponents kept referring to him as Cassius Clay before the match. Ali was winning the fight easily so he'd say to the guy "What's my name?" and the guy stubbornly kept saying "Clay". Every time he did that, Ali pounded him harder.[/quote

Floyd Patterson never gave that up; as an announcer later, "Clay"
still came out of his mouth.

Reaction Score
Not sure I'm with you on this one Nan. If UConn didn't have a massive 2nd half meltdown (including DT's non-appearance) they sure wouldn't have that one. I think they were lucky Taurasi was a no show for that game.

They beat UConn twice that year and the game they lost against UConn came down to a last second shot. And in that first Notre Dame win they soundly beat the team that Geno insists was the most talented in UConn history at full strength. Notre Dame lost only two games that season by a total of 3 points. That championship was earned.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
HA! Love it.
I find that schtick of McCallie's to be so classless...that team just beat you by 20, and you don't know their names? Seriously? Half those girls play together in AAU or USA basketball, I'm sure they are friendly with each other. It smacks of tacky to me.

Just watched the presser; it's not that she knows the numbers, surely knows the names

She says (paraphrased); their post….um, um, looks down at her notes, #…11

Reaction Score
Just watched the presser; it's not that she knows the numbers, surely knows the names

She says (paraphrased); their post….um, um, looks down at her notes, #…11
I was going to ask if anyone had considered that she might not be to bright and just can't remember more than the twelve or thirteen players from her own team. :cool:

62 TO GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom