Mr. Technical Foul | The Boneyard

Mr. Technical Foul

Reaction Score
When watching UCONN play as of late I keep thinking of the Adam Sandler movie 8 Crazy Nights. What is up with Andre Jackson receiving T's the last two games for taunting the bench of the opposing team after he hits a three? I hope he can grow out of this. That was two points we could have had when the game was close.

Reaction Score
He's a competitor. When 5-6 guys are screaming that you can't make a shot, and then you make the shot....

He's responding to taunts from the bench, he's not just talking to them on his own. He needs to do a better job, but the refs need to start warning benches, or stop penalizing the respondent and not the initiator.

Reaction Score
When watching UCONN play as of late I keep thinking of the Adam Sandler movie 8 Crazy Nights. What is up with Andre Jackson receiving T's the last two games for taunting the bench of the opposing team after he hits a three? I hope he can grow out of this. That was two points we could have had when the game was close.
I suspect that last night's T is the last one you will see Andre get. It's a non-issue. Coach Hurley talked about the T and his own antics a bit last night in the post game press conference.

I'm more surprised that Hurley didn't get T'd up last night. I'm pretty sure the words Farking clown came out of his mouth more than a few times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The story in the Courant said the Villanobody bench was shouting "non-shooter" at him and he reacted.
My question is why doesn't the bench get a technical if that is true? Does group taunting get a pass? The ref that gave him the technical was right there and should have heard it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be a technical if he doesn’t do it in the refs face

Reaction Score
He made a point to specifically take multiple unnecessary steps backwards out of bounds and into the bench directly next to the coach, then turned and said something right in his ear. The GTown one was dumb: this one was obvious. I’m sure it’s because he hears chirping about his shooting from the bench and he can’t help himself when he makes one

If he starts developing a reputation the refs will be watching even more closely

Reaction Score
The story in the Courant said the Villanobody bench was shouting "non-shooter" at him and he reacted.
My question is why doesn't the bench get a technical if that is true? Does group taunting get a pass? The ref that gave him the technical was right there and should have heard it.
Because that's part of team communication. If you notice a certain defense, you call it out. If you notice an open shooter, you call it out. If the guy with the ball is not a shooting threat and you want your players on the floor to be aware of it, you call it out. It's not like anyone was sticking their thumbs in their ears making moose antlers and yelling, "Nah nana nah nah, you can't shoot it!"

Reaction Score
Because that's part of team communication. If you notice a certain defense, you call it out. If you notice an open shooter, you call it out. If the guy with the ball is not a shooting threat and you want your players on the floor to be aware of it, you call it out. It's not like anyone was sticking their thumbs in their ears making moose antlers and yelling, "Nah nana nah nah, you can't shoot it!"

In fairness, benches - including coaching staffs - yell and stomp their feet all the time to distract a shooter and they're not "communicating" anything to their team, they're just trying to distract the shooter. I've never seen a bench get a T for that.

Reaction Score
In fairness, benches - including coaching staffs - yell and stomp their feet all the time to distract a shooter and they're not "communicating" anything to their team, they're just trying to distract the shooter. I've never seen a bench get a T for that.
Right, and that reinforces my point. The refs allow a certain amount of unsportsmanlike conduct as it is, and calling out a non-shooter is not even close to unsportsmanlike.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm more surprised that Hurley didn't get T'd up last night. I'm pretty sure the words Farking clown came out of his mouth more than a few times.
Lol, that’s what it looked like to me too. I was thinking to myself I can’t be reading that right, because the ref was right next to him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He made a point to specifically take multiple unnecessary steps backwards out of bounds and into the bench directly next to the coach, then turned and said something right in his ear. The GTown one was dumb: this one was obvious. I’m sure it’s because he hears chirping about his shooting from the bench and he can’t help himself when he makes one

If he starts developing a reputation the refs will be watching even more closely

Its already developed. Refs are looking for it.

Teams will try and bait him. If I was an opposing coach I would too. Fricking Neptune last night from the bench tried to take a flop to draw a T on Hawkins. We already HAVE a reputation. But I I like it. We have to use to advantage and not disadvantage. That's the trick.

Gamesmanship works in a ton of ways.

I want Andre to sink a 3 turn to McDermott and say "Whether you like or don't like it, learn to love it, because its the best thing going today"

Ric-Flair-Woo.jpg

Reaction Score
He's a competitor. When 5-6 guys are screaming that you can't make a shot, and then you make the shot....
Which made me think about this last night - Why is it O.K. for the bench players to yell out "non-shooter" and then when the guy playing says something back he gets T'ed up? Isn't the bench taunting also? Why don't they get T'ed up? If you're a ref then either let it slide or call Ts on both sides.

Reaction Score
Neither should be a technical.

This all seems like fun, competitive smack talk. But unfortunately, college refs just feel the need to constantly insert themselves into the game.

Reaction Score
Which made me think about this last night - Why is it O.K. for the bench players to yell out "non-shooter" and then when the guy playing says something back he gets T'ed up? Isn't the bench taunting also? Why don't they get T'ed up? If you're a ref then either let it slide or call Ts on both sides.
Sorry, didn't see the other post above with the same thought. Should have read the entire thread before posting that.

Reaction Score

Bench antics should probably get T'd up more than theu are. Telling your teammate a relevant piece of information (non-shooter) to defending an opposing player is not one of them.

Reaction Score

Yelling non-shooter is the most appropriate thing a bench could do other than sit on their hands. It's literally instructions to your teammate on how to defend someone.

Andre wouldn't take it so personally if he could actually shoot at a decent %.

Neither should be a T. Refs clearly have a directive to call the talk from players to the bench this year. Might see them cracking down on bench antics at some point. Personally, I'm fine with both. Let the kids have it out as long as they aren't making it personal or dropping hard f-bombs on the court. Smack talk is part of the game.

Reaction Score
Ajax: Best response to that taunt it’s do what you do best, block&rebound&assist your team to win. Use this as motivation to develop killer shots in this coming offseason!

Reaction Score
I don't think it's the last time he does it. I don't think HE could help it at the moment. Others with different temperaments maybe. He knows what the consequences of a T are, but he still jaws. There are certain people who are more prone to reactions. That being said, I think he'll work on it but you can't turn that response off like a faucet.

Buuuut..I ain't mad at him for it. He's my favorite Husky in a long time and his good outweighs this issue

Reaction Score
Isn't the obvious answer that he should have just done the Shooter McGavin blow on his finger? I think we're talking about the wrong Adam Sandler movie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom