Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
a38a50d5a951741660ef0267ef661de4.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agree eric. S Carolina has to make the jump to a FF team before we can discuss whether they can play with UCONN or not. Let them do that first. They had a decent team last year. S16 and taken out by UNC, lost to KY, TN, Texas A&M (none of those teams were/are comparable to UCONN). Their signature win was beating KY. They didn't play UCONN, ND, Stanford, Maryland. They have a good Freshmen class. We'll have to see how well the Freshmen adjust to college though. They should be better this year, but they have a long ways to go before they are on UCONN's level.

Won't they be able to show if they can play with UCONN when they travel to UCONN this season to play the Huskies?

Staley is a darn good coach or Geno would not have had her on the National Team staff. And she is getting a couple of top 10 players to add to a team that was very good last year. I wouldn't discount their chances at this point.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Yard...we do tend to be a little creative in our communications here, but we are not completely without rules. Here is an offering from the text poet, Norman Silver that may assist you in making sense of what you see here.

Txt Commndmnts
u shall luv ur mobil fone with all ur hart
u & ur fone shall neva b apart
u shall nt lust aftr ur neibrs fone nor thiev
u shall b prepard @ all times 2 tXt & 2 recv
u shall use LOL & othr acronyms in conversatns
u shall be zappy with ur ast*r*sks & exc!matns!!
u shall abbrevi8 & rite words like theyr sed
u shall nt speak to sum1 face2face if u cn msg em insted
U shall nt shout with capitls XEPT IN DIRE EMEGENCY +
U shall nt consult a ninglish dictnry

TonyC don't need no steenkin syntax. Anyone who can coin a phrase like the never t0 be forgotten; (re PHS and the "sixpack") "If she starts them all, the others will all have to sit." gets a lifetime pass from such mundane details. Did e e cummings worry about syntax? Did Joyce worry about run-on sentences? Attention to such prescriptionistic fripperies would simply put rocks in the burbling stream of Tony's creativity.

ahem.

Beyond category.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Won't they be able to show if they can play with UCONN when they travel to UCONN this season to play the Huskies?
True, but I don't expect too much from them that game. It will be their first venture against a big time school and @Uconn to boot.

Staley is a darn good coach or Geno would not have had her on the National Team staff. And she is getting a couple of top 10 players to add to a team that was very good last year. I wouldn't discount their chances at this point.
Well again, some people's "very good" and our "very good" are different. They were a decent team. S16 was as far as they got. I think they will improve this year, but they have a long way to go to be able to play with UCONN.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
True, but I don't expect too much from them that game. It will be their first venture against a big time school and @Uconn to boot.

Well again, some people's "very good" and our "very good" are different. They were a decent team. S16 was as far as they got. I think they will improve this year, but they have a long way to go to be able to play with UCONN.
Agreed. As I mentioned, I'm all for being respectful of other teams and taking no one for granted. People can say "but they return everyone on their roster from last year and earned a 1 seed in the NCAA's". Sure, but they played almost no one last year leading up to the NCAA's and losing to UNC was not exactly a "good" loss.

I expect them to be in the top 10 all season. I think Staley is a good coach. I'm sure she will have her team prepared. But I'd like for someone who disagrees with us to explain how they have players who favorably match up with Stewie, Moriah and KML.

Is there a chance they could beat UCONN? Of course. That's why you play the game. They will probably be preseason 3 or 4 and should stay there most of the year unless they lose. It will likely be a top 5 matchup when they come to Storrs.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Absolutely love your words, Mr.T. Right on. But this former English teacher cannot resist grading the message, tongue firmly embedded in cheek, no offense PLEASE. :))

syntax C-
punctuation C- (commas and apostrophes are good to use, punctuation within quotations marks)
spelling C+ (digit, lose)
content A+
stream of consciousness A+

Well, you appear to be taking a wee bit of a thumping on this, dear one through no fault of your own. Take heart my friend for we defend our fellow boneyarders regardless of fame or flaw, often with tongue in cheek and in teasing manner. Each poster has their unique manner and is appreciated as one of the ingredients that make up the stew that is the Boneyard.

Tampering with any of the ingredients is usually met in this way.

Now you find yourself as one of us and I hope that you will continue to post. You did after all give Tony a couple of A+s for his best attributes. And the rest....eh, we just move on to the next entry.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
TonyC don't need no steenkin syntax. Anyone who can coin a phrase like the never t0 be forgotten; (re PHS and the "sixpack") "If she starts them all, the others will all have to sit." gets a lifetime pass from such mundane details. Did e e cummings worry about syntax? Did Joyce worry about run-on sentences? Attention to such prescriptionistic fripperies would simply put rocks in the burbling stream of Tony's creativity.
I'd like it more than once if I could...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Absolutely love your words, Mr.T. Right on. But this former English teacher cannot resist grading the message, tongue firmly embedded in cheek, no offense PLEASE. :))

syntax C-
punctuation C- (commas and apostrophes are good to use, punctuation within quotations marks)
spelling C+ (digit, lose)
content A+
stream of consciousness A+

If you're going to inhabit the Boneyard, you're just going to have to live with the constant muttering of the syntax, punctuation, and spelling police in your head. The targets of externalized comments are either too set in their ways, too uncaring and/or too petulant to respond in the way you hope ;^)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hate not being able to edit. I dropped the negative in my haste typing and posting and only got back to the board now. Ugh! I meant to say,"You are not used to Tonyese..."

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to find if I'm liable for a sin tax. If I am, I fear that I am many years in arrears (yeah, yeah, don't go there: too easy), and, when the bill comes due, it will be considerable, formidable ..and, "unbearable".

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
I hate not being able to edit. I dropped the negative in my haste typing and posting and only got back to the board now. Ugh! I meant to say,"You are not used to Tonyese..."

I agree losing the ability to edit one's posts is a little frustrating since the window to do so is very small. however it's only limited to the general population, as it appears that mods can go in and fix their posts.
I can sort of see their point, because allowing the freedom of unlimited editing edit would mean that they would have to go back and read and monitor all posts all the time.

it doesn't make it any less frustrating when you realize that you've made a booboo that may change the meaning of what you originally intended or you see that you spelled something incorrectly ( or the talk to text function on your phone has a very different idea about what you said from what you actually said), and you want to fix it.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Have to say I totally disagree. SC is not close to UCONN in terms of talent. In Moriah, Stewie and KML, we have the 3 best players at their respective positions, and probably 3 of the top 10 players in the entire country. I'm not sure how you figure that SC has anything that comes close.

If you want to argue that Kia Stokes is untested as a player who can go 25-30 minutes per game, I won't disagree, but I'm of the opinion that she's one of the top 5, if not top 3, centers in WCBB this coming season.

UCONN's only question mark is at the 2G spot. I get that UCONN fans should be respectful of other teams, but the 2nd best team in the nation last year got obliterated by UCONN in the NC game by 20 points. I don't see SC as good as that ND team.
ESD~
I have to disagree with your assessment of the 2 spot being a question mark, there is no question; Saniya will make the leap just like MoJet did last year. She's a dynamic scorer, as well as a good(not great)shooter. She'll quiet a lot of critics this season and make it tough for Courtney and Gabby to see the floor as freshman.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

But adding two top 10 players, one being the number 1 player, can make a big difference. I am not convinced that they are going to be a pushover for UCONN.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell is South Carolina's Scoring guard (2) who was a WBCA All American last year, as well as receiving other awards. http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/tiffany_mitchell_816835.html. At the beginning of the year, have to say she's better then UConn's scoring guard.

Elem Ibiam is So Carolina's starting post player and is at least equal to Kiah. Many would say she's a better player as she has more offensive talents then Kiah. http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/elem_ibiam_770874.html

Then add Alaina Coates, the SEC 6th player of the year award winner. IMHO that makes So Carolina stronger in the post then UConn. http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alaina_coates_851937.html

Wouldn't surprise me to see South Carolina dominate the boards when they play UConn.

South Carolina brings in the #2 Ranked Hoopgurl Recruiting Class for 2014 including one of the #1 ranked players in the class A'ja Wilson. http://espn.go.com/high-school/girl...rankings/rank?rank=2&class=2014&date=20140416

South Carolina has added scoring, along with length in their recruiting class and should be much better then last year.

Are KML, Stewart, and Moriah better then South Carolina's starters, sure but will it be enough to overcome South Carolina's superior length. It should, but if UConn has an off shooting day, South Carolina can win. Just don't think UConn has an overwhelming talent advantage that some on the board seems to think.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ESD~
I have to disagree with your assessment of the 2 spot being a question mark, there is no question; Saniya will make the leap just like MoJet did last year. She's a dynamic scorer, as well as a good(not great)shooter. She'll quiet a lot of critics this season and make it tough for Courtney and Gabby to see the floor as freshman.

The starter at shooting guard is Saniya's job to lose. If she plays well enough, she keeps the job. A freshman would have to clearly (and early) outplay or outpractice her to start. It is also possible that Saniya may start but yield more minutes to an exceptional freshman.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I agree losing the ability to edit one's posts is a little frustrating since the window to do so is very small. however it's only limited to the general population, as it appears that mods can go in and fix their posts.
I can sort of see their point, because allowing the freedom of unlimited editing edit would mean that they would have to go back and read and monitor all posts all the time.

it doesn't make it any less frustrating when you realize that you've made a booboo that may change the meaning of what you originally intended or you see that you spelled something incorrectly ( or the talk to text function on your phone has a very different idea about what you said from what you actually said), and you want to fix it.

Nothing to it. Watch how easy it is for public figures to either claim (usually feigning outrage) that their remarks were "taken out of context" or call a press conference to "clarify [their] remarks.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I tot I taw uh effelump!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ESD~
Based on the way Saniya finished the year, no way did she put a hammer down on earning the spot. I don't disagree she has an advantage, but I disagree that Saniya is the starting 2G set in stone as of right now. And I'd bet a ton of money that Geno would say the same thing.

Reaction Score
Tony

South Carolina has talent that compares favorably to UConn. South Carolina will be a tough match up and who knows who will win those games. One or two of the freshmen will have to step up. Although I do believe UConn will, there is no guarantee.
Really??????????? South Carolina has very talented ladies but comparing favorably. We have the player of the year, the potential number one pick in next years WNBA draft, probably the best point guard in the country and somehow South Carolina has more talent???

Reaction Score
Based on the way Saniya finished the year, no way did she put a hammer down on earning the spot. I don't disagree she has an advantage, but I disagree that Saniya is the starting 2G set in stone as of right now. And I'd bet a ton of money that Geno would say the same thing.
I agree. Where did she prove herself to be a dynamic scorer. Well, if he was referring to high school, there has been a ton of high school players who have been dynamic scorers but playing against appreciably more athletic and talented players in college with size and quickness often has altered them to no more than mediocre. I'm hoping Saniya will be one of the exceptions but nothing she did last year really convinced me that she is. I'm hopeful that with confidence and improved strength she will emerge but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom