Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Tyler Olander's freshman and soph years- absolutely killed Notre Dame, Syracuse and provided the difference against Kentucky in the FF by scoring the first bucket.

Reaction Score
Tyler Olander's freshman and soph years- absolutely killed Notre Dame, Syracuse and provided the difference against Kentucky in the FF by scoring the first bucket.

That's actually a real good one. I thought Tyler was going to become a real valuable player for us by the time he was a junior/senior. Obviously, he served a purpose, but I thought he could be a 7/5/2apg type guy playing the 4/5 for 25 minutes a game. I remember his first game with Ollie against Mich St. 4 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. Thought he could be a real valuable player as a passing big man who could hit a jumper. Had too much rap game, I guess.

Reaction Score
Yeah, no. That's when he declared himself the "go-to" guy and threw up one ill-advised three after another.

Kind of similar to KFree's sr year when he needed to be a swing to get to the next level. 2 great Huskies straying from their strengths.

Reaction Score
I know people realize how effective Thabeet was in 2009, but I think it is easy to underrate how dominant he was on the college level. After Dyson went down, that team really didn't have much. Price shot the lights out, but Stanley was pretty inconsistent.

I'll say Tim Coles's senior year was pretty underrated. Averaged 10 rebounds and 13 points a game, shot 52% from the field. Played center and though he was very undersized, he held his own. It is tough to say who was more effective, Jeff Adrien or Coles. Adrien had more of the power body, whereas Coles was lean, but he was a warrior under there.

Is Mamadou Diarra the second coming of Tim Coles?

Coles finished his career with 1000+ points and 800+ rebounds.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's actually a real good one. I thought Tyler was going to become a real valuable player for us by the time he was a junior/senior. Obviously, he served a purpose, but I thought he could be a 7/5/2apg type guy playing the 4/5 for 25 minutes a game. I remember his first game with Ollie against Mich St. 4 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. Thought he could be a real valuable player as a passing big man who could hit a jumper. Had too much rap game, I guess.

I thought one of his problems is he put on too much weight. Whether that was from lifting a lot or or not giving a duckck, I have no idea. He seemed to lose foot speed as he got older.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kind of similar to KFree's sr year when he needed to be a swing to get to the next level. 2 great Huskies straying from their strengths.

JC was the culprit there though. One of the few times he put the good of his guy (in helping him try to make the league) over the good of the team. I think JC learned from this as well though.

Reaction Score
JC was the culprit there though. One of the few times he put the good of his guy (in helping him try to make the league) over the good of the team. I think JC learned from this as well though.

Definitely. That team had the potential to be outstanding but was instead bogged down by a complete non-factor playing the 3. Watching KFree pump fake over and over again made us so stagnant. We were pre-season #1 I think and got totally embarrassed by Tennessee (Fark You Ron Slay) in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I know people realize how effective Thabeet was in 2009, but I think it is easy to underrate how dominant he was on the college level. After Dyson went down, that team really didn't have much. Price shot the lights out, but Stanley was pretty inconsistent.

I'll say Tim Coles's senior year was pretty underrated. Averaged 10 rebounds and 13 points a game, shot 52% from the field. Played center and though he was very undersized, he held his own. It is tough to say who was more effective, Jeff Adrien or Coles. Adrien had more of the power body, whereas Coles was lean, but he was a warrior under there.

Is Mamadou Diarra the second coming of Tim Coles?

Coles finished his career with 1000+ points and 800+ rebounds.

Oh man if Diarra has Tim Coles in him I will love him immediately. Good call on this one upstater, see you do know other athletes besides Brady ;)

Reaction Score
Spot on. Had never seen JC do that before or since. Coming off a NC, he seemed to pay Freeman the warrior the ultimate sign of appreciation by trying to showcase him for the NBA. Once he switched back to the 4 the team was humming, too bad Khalid got hurt.

Reaction Score
Yeah you guys are so right, JC loved Free so much he gave him the keys to his career ahead - not good. While it was unusual we have to remember who were are talking about, takes care of his anyway he can. I am sure he learned from that though.

Reaction Score
Kirk King's final 14 games. We were 11-3 with a few quality wins (some in the Big East, one over Virginia) before the suspension came. King was averaging 12 ppg/8 rpg/1 apg/2 bpg while shooting 50% from the floor and 70% from the line.

Then he got suspended and we cratered, going 3-11 in the next 14 games before pulling it together for a decent showing in the NIT.

It probably worked out best for the program, because I think that NIT run really solidified the core of Rip, KFree, Jake and Ricky for the next two years. But Kirk was really, really good on both ends of the floor and a monster underneath - we'd kill to have a guy like him in the lineup today - and people never really mention him.

Reaction Score
I'll throw one out there for the heck of it- Gavin Edwards as a senior.

The 2009-2010 team is rightfully not so shiny, but my thinking is that Gavin was actually a pretty solid big man that year, one we'd gladly take right about now.

He averaged 10.5 pts and 6.5 rbs with 2 blocks. Not too bad.

Reaction Score
That's a bit harsh. KEA was hurt and he was the team that year.

and we were embarrassed, no? We looked absolutely pathetic that game with two senior starters and Albie on the court.

Reaction Score

The 2009-2010 team is rightfully not so shiny, but my thinking is that Gavin was actually a pretty solid big man that year, one we'd gladly take right about now.

And he hated every minute of it.

Reaction Score

Good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky