Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My Man, freshman Taliek Brown. He had to take over the PG position with no mentor and learn on the spot. Khalid declared leaving a void and worse big arse shoes to fill.

Good to see him 'vindicated' his Senior year and hold the Guard U. title down for the greats who followed. In the Final Four I wanted no other guard running our offense other than Taliek.

"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown at PG" Seth Davis, March 1, 2004
"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown at PG" Seth Davis, March 2, 2004
"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown at PG" Seth Davis, March 3, 2004
"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown at PG" Seth Davis, March 4. 2004
"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown at PG" Seth Davis, March 5, 2004..................................................................
.......................................March 31, 2004

I always love Mr Gonzaga's unique brand of brilliance

he's almost as bright as Doug Gott-Nothing

Reaction Score
AJ Price's junior year (2008).

Especially after Dyson's suspension, he seized the reins and his leadership was largely responsible for that team going 12-1 in January/February and achieving a quick turnaround from the disappointment of 2007. If he doesn't blow out his knee in the 1st round game, we coast to the Sweet 16 and maybe beyond.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Dysons junior season before he got hurt. That team ran like a machine .

Reaction Score
That's an interesting, but tough, topic. Off the top of my head, I'd throw these out there:
Mouring
Charlie V sophomore year
AJ senior year
Hilton senior year
Marcus senior year

If I had to choose one year that's very underrated and forgotten, it's Marcus. That 2006 team was so loaded and he was soooo good... I think people remember the overall feel of that season, which sorta skews how we view all those players.

No doubt that season was tough for all the reasons we know, but I remember Marcus being so money, passing, shooting and controlling the game. That, plus his brutal NBA career, I think skews people's memory of how good he was. He was the prototypical PG.

Because of the results vs guys like AJ, Kemba and Bazz, people don't remember how insanely good that dude was in college.
I agree Marcus Williams gets my vote, along with the "Dove" Henefeld

Reaction Score
My Man, freshman Taliek Brown. He had to take over the PG position with no mentor and learn on the spot. Khalid declared leaving a void and worse big arse shoes to fill.

Good to see him 'vindicated' his Senior year and hold the Guard U. title down for the greats who followed. In the Final Four I wanted no other guard running our offense other than Taliek.

You know you will kill me for this but his freshman year was not underrated, it was fairly bad. It was turnover heaven baby. I'm also glad he was vindicated but he doesn't fit in this thread. ;)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Probaly any year for Chris Smith, but I'd go Sr or Jr. year

Reaction Score
You know you will kill me for this but his freshman year was not underrated, it was fairly bad. It was turnover heaven baby. I'm also glad he was vindicated but he doesn't fit in this thread. ;)
Thought of you when I posted. I vividly remember you and Taliek's history and couldn't resist:

detonator-dude-19907844.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Probaly any year for Chris Smith, but I'd go Sr or Jr. year

The correct answer is C, his sophmore year. He hit the most overlooked clutch shot in UConn history, that 3 to send that Elite 8 game into overtime. It most certainly is not his senior year where JC pretty much benched him in his last game for the school.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The correct answer is C, his sophmore year. He hit the most overlooked clutch shot in UConn history, that 3 to send that Elite 8 game into overtime. It most certainly is not his senior year where JC pretty much benched him in his last game for the school.

Any year. I just thought his sophomore year was the only one people knew about. He really carried the offense the next 2 years w/o Tate or Dove.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore's senior year, particularly his stifling defense the entire NCAA Tournament. Finished it off by shutting down Langdon and Duke while having an insane first half offensively. Without him we don't hoist that first trophy.

Reaction Score

Smitty was awful in his last game; pretty sad in retrospect. We were all over Ohio St. the first 10 minutes or so in that game just physically dominating them but Smitty was way off. JC sat him down early in that game too but he never came out of it. Once we started getting crushed, other than loyalty, there was no real reason to play him. In a way, I'm glad JC sat him down as opposed to have him playing continually awful in the thrashing we received in the second half. If I remember right it was a one point game at the half and we lost by 20+.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting, but tough, topic. Off the top of my head, I'd throw these out there:
Mouring
Charlie V sophomore year
AJ senior year
Hilton senior year
Marcus senior year

If I had to choose one year that's very underrated and forgotten, it's Marcus. That 2006 team was so loaded and he was soooo good... I think people remember the overall feel of that season, which sorta skews how we view all those players.

No doubt that season was tough for all the reasons we know, but I remember Marcus being so money, passing, shooting and controlling the game. That, plus his brutal NBA career, I think skews people's memory of how good he was. He was the prototypical PG.

Because of the results vs guys like AJ, Kemba and Bazz, people don't remember how insanely good that dude was in college.

Marcus was a junior that year.... But, you are right. Marcus became our best playing the post-season and without him becoming a scorer, we lose to Albany.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Marcus was a junior that year.... But, you are right. Marcus became our best playing the post-season and without him becoming a scorer, we lose to Albany.

You're right, my bad. He left after that, that's what I was thinking.

I always loved his game. So smooth, great touch, ridiculous vision.

Reaction Score
Senior year Scott Burrell is another one

His junior year was much better. His senior year the team tanked. His numbers were better across the board as a junior. Wasn't that the Lindsay Hunter year?

Reaction Score
Can't believe Rudy Gay's sophomore year hasn't been mentioned. Guy filled the stat sheet with something like 15/7/2/2/2 (idr exactly). And was 2nd team AA.

And people still think he was a bust at UCONN.

The bust label is only b/c that team was so damn talented and despite an elite 8 appearance, so damn disappointing. Rudy was the most visible player on that team and thus gets the bust label. Also, as good as that stat sheet looked, I always felt like we only got 75% of how good he could've been. Just wasn't his mentality to dominate.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
His junior year was much better. His senior year the team tanked. His numbers were better across the board as a junior. Wasn't that the Lindsay Hunter year?

His senior year was the first in which I lived in CT so unfortunately I didn't get to see much of him before that.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The bust label is only b/c that team was so damn talented and despite an elite 8 appearance, so damn disappointing. Rudy was the most visible player on that team and thus gets the bust label. Also, as good as that stat sheet looked, I always felt like we only got 75% of how good he could've been. Just wasn't his mentality to dominate.

Pretty spot on analysis. Rudy was so dang good, but always left you wanting more, like his #s just came easy but never felt like he was taking over. I always loved Rudy but that's how it usually felt, and I think his pro career has been similar.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Smitty was awful in his last game; pretty sad in retrospect. We were all over Ohio St. the first 10 minutes or so in that game just physically dominating them but Smitty was way off. JC sat him down early in that game too but he never came out of it. Once we started getting crushed, other than loyalty, there was no real reason to play him. In a way, I'm glad JC sat him down as opposed to have him playing continually awful in the thrashing we received in the second half. If I remember right it was a one point game at the half and we lost by 20+.

Smitty did score 637 points his senior year.

Reaction Score
Rusy was really good, just high expectations and still somewhat raw. book's got it right, loved Rudy and couldn't believe the people who hammered him. Turned out ok for him.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
For one and done players, Lee Otis Wilson a/k/a "The Mad Bomber" comes to mind. In the mid 1970's he dominated the house league one year, routinely scoring 40 ppg, and then played one season for Dee Rowe, averaging close to 14 ppg. Alas, he suffered from academic shortcomings and could not return for his senior season. He would have easily averaged over 20 ppg had he played during the three point shot era. Most of his shots were from downtown Willimantic.

Reaction Score
Deandre Daniels in the 2014 NCAA tournament he was an absolute beast, he also made some clutch plays in the win over Florida(he had the tip to Shabazz on the GW buzzer beater) made clutch shots vs Indiana in the 2K tournament. When he had to come out of the National title game vs UK the game changed if he doesn't into foul trouble I think Uconn would have rolled in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom