Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players. | The Boneyard

Most underrated/forgotten about single year for uconn players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
*For a Uconn player*

Curious as to what your thoughts are.

For me Marcus Williams sophomore year comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Caron Butler 2001/2002:

20.3 pts
7.5 RB
3.0 Asts
2.1 stls

Almost single handedly beat MD in the second half of the E8.
Nadav Henefelds only year
I don't think anybody forgets about or underrates those seasons - both guys are pretty universally recognized among our all-time greats, right?

Let's go a little further down the list and mention Albert Mouring's junior year. He went for 14 ppg/3.5 rpg/2.5 apg, shot 48% from 3 and 85% from the line. He was the second-leading scoring on a team that, if not for injuries, would have been legit Final Four contenders.

It wasn't easy to fill Rip's shoes, and obvious Mouring didn't completely do it. But he was gigantic that season, yet largely forgotten about by the fanbase because he never made it in the pros and was totally overshadowed on the title team a year earlier.

Reaction Score
  • Villanueva's sophomore year
  • AJ Price's senior year
  • Rashamel Jones's sophomore year

Rash's year immediately came to mind. He was our leading scorer for a majority of that year (Rip overtook him late) and hit 55 3's. He always played hard, was a good defender, and grabbed almost 5 boards a game. He never shot the ball anywhere close as good as he did that year but always was one of my favorite players. Loved that he was on the floor and came up w/ the ball on that last play vs. Duke.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can't believe Rudy Gay's sophomore year hasn't been mentioned. Guy filled the stat sheet with something like 15/7/2/2/2 (idr exactly). And was 2nd team AA.

And people still think he was a bust at UCONN.

Reaction Score
My Man, freshman Taliek Brown. He had to take over the PG position with no mentor and learn on the spot. Khalid declared leaving a void and worse big arse shoes to fill.

Good to see him 'vindicated' his Senior year and hold the Guard U. title down for the greats who followed. In the Final Four I wanted no other guard running our offense other than Taliek.

Reaction Score
*For a Uconn player*

Curious as to what your thoughts are.

For me Marcus Williams sophomore year comes to mind.
Neils Giffey. That kid won two national titles and was great behind the arc.... He really deserves some credit!

Reaction Score
  • Villanueva's sophomore year
  • AJ Price's senior year
  • Rashamel Jones's sophomore year

Good call on Charlie V.

2004-05 was sorta gravy, following the NC of the previous year and the promise of another NC in 2005-06.

I remember by the end of that year, Charlie had become the man on that team. They were probably not beating North Carolina to get to the FF, but they had become a pretty solid team.

Reaction Score
How about Hilton Armstrong's senior year: 10 pts/ 7 boards/ 3 BLOCKS (61% FG)

And the human highlight real Stanley Johnson's senior year: 14.5 pts/ 8 boards/ 1 Block (53% FG)

Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb's freshman year. I know Kemba was the man that year but there's no chance in hell we're 2011 champs without Lamb. Averaged over 16PPG in the tourney. Scored 24 in the close Sweet 16 game against SDSU and then scored 19 against Arizona in the Elite 8. Jeremy was a bigger part of that team than anyone gives him credit for.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
Jeremy Lamb's freshman year. I know Kemba was the man that year but there's no chance in hell we're 2011 champs without Lamb. Averaged over 16PPG in the tourney. Scored 24 in the close Sweet 16 game against SDSU and then scored 19 against Arizona in the Elite 8. Jeremy was a bigger part of that team than anyone gives him credit for.
I feel like he got tons of credit for that both among UConn fans and nationally, unless I'm misremembering

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That's an interesting, but tough, topic. Off the top of my head, I'd throw these out there:
Mouring
Charlie V sophomore year
AJ senior year
Hilton senior year
Marcus senior year

If I had to choose one year that's very underrated and forgotten, it's Marcus. That 2006 team was so loaded and he was soooo good... I think people remember the overall feel of that season, which sorta skews how we view all those players.

No doubt that season was tough for all the reasons we know, but I remember Marcus being so money, passing, shooting and controlling the game. That, plus his brutal NBA career, I think skews people's memory of how good he was. He was the prototypical PG.

Because of the results vs guys like AJ, Kemba and Bazz, people don't remember how insanely good that dude was in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom