Most "spectacular" plays in UConn histiory | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Most "spectacular" plays in UConn histiory

Reaction Score
Kemba vs Pitt is the best UConn play I have ever seen. Arguably the best game winner in CBB history, not because of meaning but because of just complete embarrassment to another player. Every time I see that video I rewind it 10 or so times.
Just saw Kemba win a game with that same step back. Guy didn't fall down but he was faked about 5 feet away.

Reaction Score
While not spectacular Josh Boone's tip to Emeka late in the National Semi Final n 2004 against Duke as a huge play. Thought it was worth a mention.

Reaction Score
For those who are too young to remember, Rogers was a manchild. About 6'7" and 250lbs. And he could sky. So Scotty B looking like he was playing hopscotch at recess while leaping Rogers, was a big deal.

Yup. A roommate in college played AAU ball vs Rodgers and he said he was one of the best athletes with size he's seen. (Also played vs Montross and Damon Bailey among others in the same summer)

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Best game winner in CBB history? You can’t be serious. It was the second round of the big east tournament. The game was tied. Heck, that play was vintage Kemba, brilliantly called by Calhoun, and a great memory because of what followed it, but it doesn’t even make the top three game winners in Uconn history. Tate George, Rip vs. Washington, Shabbaz over Florida, Jalen Adams, and Ray Allen winning the 1996 BET over Georgetown are all better.
No chance Napier’s winner was even close to the Cardiac Kemba Pitt shot. Come on

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Vital and Bouk combined for a fabulous play on Sunday. But you can't compare it to fabulous plays that won post-season games at the buzzer. Just enjoy it for what it was.

The answer is it was Tate George's shot. Between the importance to the program, the importance to the season and the uniqueness of the play, it has to win. Although I like the thought of putting Ricky Moore's 1 on 1 defense on Langdon up there, the truth is Moore keeps him from getting a good shot off most of the time, while Burrell and George executed a 1 in 25 to 1 in 50 moment.
I agree with The Shot being #1. And most of your posts are usually spot-on, but I have to disagree with these odds. I know Laettner did it as well, but 25/50-1 is far too low.

Reaction Score
I agree with The Shot being #1. And most of your posts are usually spot-on, but I have to disagree with these odds. I know Laettner did it as well, but 25/50-1 is far too low.

You are probably correct. I was trying to miss low so as not to exaggerate. But the point is that it was an exceptionally low percentage play which is part of what makes it so special.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There was a still photo of the Kemba step-back taken from more-or-less behind the basket that showed the event as a scene form a clasical tragic painting. Pitt man down, looks of anxs on faces, eyes searching the heavens, etc. Should be hung in the Louvre.
I have it framed. Next step is a sensor that automatically plays cardiac Kemba does it again every time you walk past it.

Attachments

• 23D42B3E-F30D-4685-8476-78CE8E491564.jpeg
    23D42B3E-F30D-4685-8476-78CE8E491564.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How about Caron Butler behind the back pass from near half court?

Anyone who thinks that play belongs near the top of this list needs their head examined.
Screenshot_20200219-185200.png

Reaction Score
This is totally from memory, but there was a game during the 98/99 (I think) season (perhaps @WVU?) where Uconn scored 9 points with 1 second left in the first half.

The sequence was something like:
- Rip fouled while taking and making a three (3)
- WVU coach t'd up - 2 shots + ball
- Rip makes foul shot (4)
- El Amin sinks both technical free throws (6)
- Inbound to El Amin (I think) for a three (9)

Total elapsed time - 1 second.

I know it happened. I know it was a Saturday day game. And I know it was spectacular.

Reaction Score
Further back, Taliek Brown's shot clock beater in the BET against Pitt also comes to mind.

Ray Allen's shot against Georgetown. 1998 Rip vs Washington in the NCAA's. Both classics.

And although we eventually lost the game, Denham Brown's layup at the end of regulation against George Mason somehow seemed to defy gravity and send the game to OT.
I've wondered how many kids tried to copy Ray's flailing feet on that shot and hurt themselves in their driveways.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It is a great personal joy to have seen all of your nominees in real time.
we genuflect in your presence (Seriously, I am highly jealous. I had to settle for TV, but still enjoyed them.)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the clips. Reminds me of how much I miss the swagger.

Most outstanding play is 'The Pass'. A lot of players could have hit Tate's shot, but only one player could have thrown the pass. the former All-State quarterback.

ALSO - I second the nomination as 'BEST POST OF THE YEAR' Lets do it next year including clips of the next 15 games.

Reaction Score
Kemba's winner at Texas! I am proud to say that I was at that game!

Reaction Score
The Dove beats Rick Barnes' PC team with a rare trey...

I still hear the clank of the rim in my sleep. And then I cry cuz he didn't come back the following season.

Then keep watching.

The Dove was one of my favorite players. Way too bad he got homesick and left. He was sorely missed the following year.

Reaction Score
I loved DD's dunk early in the game at the Garden against Michigan State March 30, 2014

Wish I could find a clip to share.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I loved DD's dunk early in the game at the Garden against Michigan State March 30, 2014
For me, it was his early dunk against Kentucky in the final. KY was getting all the pre-game hype and I was wondering if it would get to UConn. "Hell, no!" said that dunk.

Reaction Score

Wish I could find a clip to share.
His dunk to start the game in Germany was pretty good as well.

I always likes Giffey's dunk near the beginning of the NC game. That was definitely a we believe moment.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
we genuflect in your presence (Seriously, I am highly jealous. I had to settle for TV, but still enjoyed them.)
Only "real time," not "real time & place." I tried not to be unclear by avoiding "live," but failed.

My only intended reflection was that the grateful Wow of these was when they happened, rather than having a, "Check THIS out" intro that alerted me. That said, the examples here are still quite eye-popping, and I imagine that more than few here have gotten chills and/or know where they were when they first saw them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone should put these into a single video.
Play at the practice facility when recruits visit or for fund raising .
I‘m surprised no one added Boatright‘s drive in the 2014 championship game where he turned the UK Player around.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Only "real time," not "real time & place." I tried not to be unclear by avoiding "live," but failed.

My only intended reflection was that the grateful Wow of these was when they happened, rather than having a, "Check THIS out" intro that alerted me. That said, the examples hear are still quite eye-popping, and I imagine that more than few here have gotten chills and/or know where they were when they first saw them.
You didn't fail, Hans. Dove got it. We lived those moments and were able to cheer them live.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom