Most "spectacular" plays in UConn histiory | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most "spectacular" plays in UConn histiory

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Rip's vs Washington in t
Isn't that funny? One of the great moments in Husky history kind of forgotten by our fans. But not UDub Husky fans!
@McLovin briefly mentioned it early on. I love that play. It's one of my favorites as I vividly remember watching and then jumping around my living room with my dad before he passed.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Rip Hamilton "at the buzzer !" in the sweet 16 vs the other Huskies That sequence of misses followed by Rip nailing it as he fell to the floor... and the team mobbing him.

But yes the answer has to be "The Shot". It was Huskymania.

We need to separate the most spectacular plays from Tournaments to regular games I think .

Always loved this one. Plus its a great play by play call with Sean Mcdonough's voice rising "Hamilton at the buzzer....YES!" and wrap up on the replay by the great Raftery.

Reaction Score
Kemba vs Pitt is the best UConn play I have ever seen. Arguably the best game winner in CBB history, not because of meaning but because of just complete embarrassment to another player. Every time I see that video I rewind it 10 or so times.

And it was memorialized in song...

Kemba Walker, cross 'em over, somebody fallin'
Jump back, I hit the shot, somebody ballin'

- Self Made - Wale (MMG vol 1)

Reaction Score
"... got a mismatch...."

Best game winner in CBB history? You can’t be serious. It was the second round of the big east tournament. The game was tied. Heck, that play was vintage Kemba, brilliantly called by Calhoun, and a great memory because of what followed it, but it doesn’t even make the top three game winners in Uconn history. Tate George, Rip vs. Washington, Shabbaz over Florida, Jalen Adams, and Ray Allen winning the 1996 BET over Georgetown are all better.

Reaction Score
Its hard to top MakersMuppet thread in 2011.
That was legendary, no doubt. But this captures our entire history and brings back so many memories.

Reaction Score
Best game winner in CBB history? You can’t be serious. It was the second round of the big east tournament. The game was tied. Heck, that play was vintage Kemba, brilliantly called by Calhoun, and a great memory because of what followed it, but it doesn’t even make the top three game winners in Uconn history. Tate George, Rip vs. Washington, Shabbaz over Florida, Jalen Adams, and Ray Allen winning the 1996 BET over Georgetown are all better.
I think you may have quoted the wrong post...

Reaction Score
Shabazz against Fla was a wide open 10 footer nothing spectacular.
The great play was DD beating 5 Florida players to the ball and tapping it out to a wide open Bazz. That gave Bazz a second chance after his original prayer was off the mark . Bazz could have made that shot with his eyes closed .
It was an easy shot in a home win of only some significance. I think Bazz’s dramatic exit magnified that play . In retrospect he was celebrating getting a second chance.
Ray‘s shot against Georgetown was nothing spectacular in fact it might of been the ugliest shot of his career, but it was for the Big East Championship.
Kemba on the other hand created his own shot against Pitt and it was huge because Pitt was a terrific team that year and it was a key win in that unprecedented 11 game win streak. It was a thing of beauty truly spectacular.
Burrell’s pass and the catch were just as big as Tate’s shot simply an amazing play that works only one in ten tries.
Adam’s shot was just a prayer but what made it great was the Cincinnati players prematurely celebrating a win. That was classic It also lead to our only AAC championship.
Wasn’t Rip‘s shot against Washington immortalized in a commercial years later.

Reaction Score
I think it was the 1998 Second Round NCAA versus Indiana.

El Amin has a break away, he throws the ball off the backbord for the trailer (Doug Wrenn) for a two handed flush. I was there. Awesome, the place went nuts.

Reaction Score
80s + 90s high lights - the new highlights are great and might be athletically superior but seeing us grow as a team when everyone thought it was impossible except for fans... And it actually came true beyond our wildest expectations.

Reaction Score

Taliek’s pass at the 1:50 mark is one of the best passes I’ve ever seen

Reaction Score
Burrell’s pass and the catch were just as big as Tate’s shot simply an amazing play that works only one in ten tries.

I would guess more like 1 in 1,000 for completing the pass and making the shot in 1 second.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Dove beats Rick Barnes' PC team with a rare trey...

I still hear the clank of the rim in my sleep. And then I cry cuz he didn't come back the following season.

Then keep watching.

Reaction Score

Great move! I hadn't seen this before. An unusual play. Watched it ten times at least.
The first time I watched it, it looked to me like Burrell took Rodgers head off when he leaped over him and dribbled it away! I spit my beer out!! Is it just me? Watch it again I dare you.
I love this thread. Kemba v Pitt is still my favorite.

Reaction Score
Not the best, but memorable/funny - Taliek Brown's 30 footer as the shot clock expired essentially sealing a double OT win over Pitt in the 2002 Big East Finals.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great move! I hadn't seen this before. An unusual play. Watched it ten times at least.
The first time I watched it, it looked to me like Burrell took Rodgers head off when he leaped over him and dribbled it away! I spit my beer out!! Is it just me? Watch it again I dare you.
I love this thread. Kemba v Pitt is still my favorite.

For those who are too young to remember, Rogers was a manchild. About 6'7" and 250lbs. And he could sky. So Scotty B looking like he was playing hopscotch at recess while leaping Rogers, was a big deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a still photo of the Kemba step-back taken from more-or-less behind the basket that showed the event as a scene form a clasical tragic painting. Pitt man down, looks of anxs on faces, eyes searching the heavens, etc. Should be hung in the Louvre.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not the best, but memorable/funny - Taliek Brown's 30 footer as the shot clock expired essentially sealing a double OT win over Pitt in the 2002 Big East Finals.

While a collective "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYESSSSSSSSSSSSS!" rang out through out the state.

Reaction Score
Kemba vs Pitt is the best UConn play I have ever seen. Arguably the best game winner in CBB history, not because of meaning but because of just complete embarrassment to another player. Every time I see that video I rewind it 10 or so times.
And Calhoun drew that up counting on the mismatch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom