Most popular CT team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most popular CT team

Which team is the most popular across the state?

• Uconn men

Votes: 130 60.7%
  • Uconn women

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Yankees

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Sox

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Giants

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Knicks

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Pats

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Celtics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It was the patriots until Brady left. Suddenly they all vanished tho.

But seriously it’s the Pats or Giants. We don’t even sell out basketball games consistently.

Reaction Score
A biased set of responses thus far IMO. I feel like alliances to the pro teams are seriously fractured here in CT. The UConn women have more fans than the men by far. I would bet they have the most fans in state. I went on a bus trip to the men's/women's games in Newark last year, and the entire bus was only there for the women. UConn women have every single boomer and up in CT as a fan, as well as basically every female. I was in Vegas once during college hoops season with my UConn jersey on, and multiple people asked me if it was a men's or women's jersey, and they said "oh, we love the women." And those folks were not from CT, but I think the same logic applies at home here. I don't think it's even close. I'm a Pats and Sox fan, but also fans of both hoops programs...my dad is Yankees and Giants, but also a fan of both hoops programs. I have a friend who is Mets/Jets, but also a fan of mens/womens hoops.
I am a boomer and don’t watch the UConn women. Let’s see how many fans they have 3 years after Auriemma retires and they become just another team.

Reaction Score
The UConn women have more fans than the men by far.
I'm curious, does anyone know what the TV ratings are in CT for the men and the women? Regular season games. I know a lot more people who are just fans of the men than I know who are fans of the women. Then again I'm not a senior citizen. :)

Reaction Score
If the men get it going again they will be the most popular team by far. But they got to make some noise in the tournament to get people back into it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I love UConn sports but think the Yankees, Giant's, Pat's and Red Sox's are the most popular overall.

Reaction Score
Has to be Yanks/Sox and Giants/Pats. But for me it's UConn men, Yanks, Giants, Celts and Rangers in that order.

Reaction Score
A biased set of responses thus far IMO. I feel like alliances to the pro teams are seriously fractured here in CT. The UConn women have more fans than the men by far. I would bet they have the most fans in state. I went on a bus trip to the men's/women's games in Newark last year, and the entire bus was only there for the women. UConn women have every single boomer and up in CT as a fan, as well as basically every female. I was in Vegas once during college hoops season with my UConn jersey on, and multiple people asked me if it was a men's or women's jersey, and they said "oh, we love the women." And those folks were not from CT, but I think the same logic applies at home here. I don't think it's even close. I'm a Pats and Sox fan, but also fans of both hoops programs...my dad is Yankees and Giants, but also a fan of both hoops programs. I have a friend who is Mets/Jets, but also a fan of mens/womens hoops.
I don't know a single boomer in CT. who is a fan of the women's team and basing UConn fandom off of a bus trip is your first mistake.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't know a single boomer in CT. who is a fan of the women's team and basing UConn fandom off of a bus trip is your first mistake.
There are plenty of boomers who are UConn women’s fans. However, the men are more popular in CT. The women are more popular nationally.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of boomers who are UConn women’s fans. However, the men are more popular in CT. The women are more popular nationally.
I think we need to split hairs regarding the difference between being known and being popular. I am guessing that the women's team is more known nationally (although I don't have high confidence in that guess). However, when it comes to the number of people nationally who would make the effort to go to a game and root for the team (whether that means traveling or just going to a game when UConn comes to town), I suspect that number is much higher for the men's team.

Reaction Score
What about the Hartford Athletic. And the New Haven Ravens.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Wow - some of these responses...

I went on a bus trip to the men's/women's games in Newark last year

LOL - you think there may be a bias in that sample? Why not try a nursing home? Touring Northampton?

If I had to rank em I'd say this:

1) Giants
2) Patriots
3) Yankees
4) Red Sox
5) Knicks
6) Celtics
7) UConn MBB
8) Jets
9) Mets
10) UConn WBB

There is no way, not even remotely close, that there are more Knicks fans in CT than Celtics - they might be dead last on list, to be honest. The Celtics played in Hartford, for @@#$%@##$ sake.

State-wide things will always be skewed by the population centers being more towards NY, but the other counties make up for it, in concentration.

Reaction Score
Wow - some of these responses...

LOL - you think there may be a bias in that sample? Why not try a nursing home? Touring Northampton?

There is no way, not even remotely close, that there are more Knicks fans in CT than Celtics - they might be dead last on list, to be honest. The Celtics played in Hartford, for @@#$%@##$ sake.

State-wide things will always be skewed by the population centers being more towards NY, but the other counties make up for it, in concentration.
True. I'm from Greenwich and the Knicks have a tentative grip on that area (mainly because they suck) but above the southern shoehorn of Fairfield County it's all Boston teams.

Reaction Score
True. I'm from Greenwich and the Knicks have a tentative grip on that area (mainly because they suck) but above the southern shoehorn of Fairfield County it's all Boston teams.
It was way more Giants fans and Yankees fans growing up in Litchfield Couny than Patriots and Red Sox fans. I legitimately can't think of a single Patriots fan I grew up with.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I dont see why bus trip = women's fans. I go on bus trips all the time for all sporting events. Yankees, Red Sox, Pats, Saratoga, etc. I was simply saying that there was a double header in Newark where the women's team played UCLA and then the men's team played the Bonnies, and my father and I were the only ones on the whole bus who were there especially for the men. Has to say something. What is it? Men's fans don't travel? Men's fans would rather drive drunk? Men's fans would rather pay for gas and tolls and drive home tired?

Reaction Score
I think it is a question of recognition vs popularity.

The UCONN women's basketball team is probably more recognized throughout the country. Multiple national championships, willing steaks in excess of ninety games in a row, years and years of not losing a conference game etc leads to broad recognition. This may change as the depth of women's college basketball continues and there are more that two or three dominant teams and then the rest.

There is a lot more depth in men's college basketball so there weren't the years of multiple national championships and long winning streaks (UCLA being the exception in the 60s and 70s) and probably won't be so the publicity for one team won't be the same as for the vintage UCONN and Tennessee women's team in the past.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I dont see why bus trip = women's fans. I go on bus trips all the time for all sporting events. Yankees, Red Sox, Pats, Saratoga, etc. I was simply saying that there was a double header in Newark where the women's team played UCLA and then the men's team played the Bonnies, and my father and I were the only ones on the whole bus who were there especially for the men. Has to say something. What is it?

It says that mens fans like to eat food and rage a few beers in the parking lot and not be trapped on a senior center bus trip waiting for gladys and her incontinence to get out of the one toilet aboard the bus.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It was way more Giants fans and Yankees fans growing up in Litchfield Couny than Patriots and Red Sox fans. I legitimately can't think of a single Patriots fan I grew up with.
I agree. Football very few pats fans, but the Farmington valley where i grew up was predominantly sox fans.

Reaction Score
I agree. Football very few pats fans, but the Farmington valley where i grew up was predominantly sox fans.
Yep, there was plenty of Red Sox fans but more Yankees fans. People for the most part had allegiance to New York or Boston. The New York allegiance fans were typically Yankees and Giants but there were Mets fans and to a lesser extent Jets fans.

The weird thing was the Boston friends were Red Sox fans but not Patriots fans. There were Niners and Cowboys fans and even Dolphins and Bills fans but I don't remember any Patriots fans.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It says that mens fans like to eat food and rage a few beers in the parking lot and not be trapped on a senior center bus trip waiting for gladys and her incontinence to get out of the one toilet aboard the bus.
Sounds dumb to me. I'd rather sit back and relax. Bus trips are so chill. Saves money on gas and parking and you can stuff your face with as much food and beer as possible and pass out on the way home.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen any Redsox or Pats fans lately what happened?
Could say the same about Yankee fans also the last decade up to this year
Fickleness rears it ugly face when it comes to bandwagon people
I proudly wear my Cubs hats and clothing year round

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco