Most popular CT team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most popular CT team

Which team is the most popular across the state?

• Uconn men

Votes: 130 60.7%
  • Uconn women

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • Yankees

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Sox

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Giants

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Knicks

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Pats

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Celtics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't believe that fandom for the Giants or Patriots out weighs statewide UConn Mens Basketball. The NFL is widely popular, no doubt, and while it may attract more eyeballs than NCAA basketball in general, the state is split between the two fanbases (similar to those of the Yankees and Red Sox.). No such split exists with UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Philly, but a friend on mine has a theory on the Giants/Patriots Fandom in CT for people over 50. He said when he was a kid, before cable tv, Giants games were on the local CBS affiliate and the Patriots were on the local NBC affiliate. The NBC channel had a weak signal so it was difficult to get a clear picture. While CBS had a strong signal and came in clear. So they always watched the Giants. He said he wonders if it was reversed if his fandom would be different.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I grew up in Philly, but a friend on mine has a theory on the Giants/Patriots Fandom in CT for people over 50. He said when he was a kid, before cable tv, Giants games were on the local CBS affiliate and the Patriots were on the local NBC affiliate. The NBC channel had a weak signal so it was difficult to get a clear picture. While CBS had a strong signal and came in clear. So they always watched the Giants. He said he wonders if it was reversed if his fandom would be different.
When I moved down here for college as an 18 year old, it always struck me as odd that NBC was on an UHF channel.

Reaction Score
Sounds like UConn men are most popular. You have jets giants pats all split up fan bases. Same with yanks Mets Sox. I haven’t seen anyone talking about the large pocket of duke or Carolina fans they grew up with. Mens basketball is probably the one thing most from the area can agree on.

Reaction Score
You can't include the Yankees and not the Sox.

There's no way the UConn women have more fans instate than the Yankees/Sox/Giants/Pats.

There are probably more Cowboys fans in this state than UConn Women fans. The women have a great fanbase. But it's niche.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. If I wear any sort of UConn hat or t-shirt, people always bring up the basketball team and while I'm initially thinking men, they are almost always talking about the women, especially back in the years when championships came one after another.

Reaction Score
I'm going to have to disagree with this. If I wear any sort of UConn hat or t-shirt, people always bring up the basketball team and while I'm initially thinking men, they are almost always talking about the women, especially back in the years when championships came one after another.
Wait until Geno retires and they become just another team.

Reaction Score
You’re free to disagree of course but you’re wrong.

I’d wager you fit a certain demographic. Nobody has ever asked me about the women’s team when i wear UConn apparel.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You guys are on crack if you think UConn mens or womens basketball are the two most popular sports teams in the state. You think more people follow college basketball than the NFL or MLB? Lol. Come on

It has to be the Giants or Yankees, and it’s probably not even close.

How would you measure it? I’m guessing TV viewership, Twitter mentions by state, or merch sales.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
It was way more Giants fans and Yankees fans growing up in Litchfield Couny than Patriots and Red Sox fans. I legitimately can't think of a single Patriots fan I grew up with.

Idk how old you are SJ but as a kid growing up in Litchfield county (New Hartford) it seemed a pretty even split. I graduated in 2005 so the Pats and Sox were, for the most part, winning and more importantly winning championships. I knew Pats fan before Brady too. One thing for certain we all loved UConn bball, mostly the men’s teams. You have one fan who likes the Yankees, Patriots, Celtics and Rangers. But the winners are ultimately the most popular teams.

P.S.- I work with a dude who is a Florida Gators college football fan, Kansas Jayhawks bball fan, Packers fan, Yankees fan and Warriors fan and claims he isn’t a bandwagoner.

Reaction Score
I'd say the Giants. Patriots would be a close 2nd but there are very few Pats fans in Fairfield county, and Hartford county is probably only a 50/50 split (just like it is with Yanks/Sox).

If I had to rank em I'd say this:

1) Giants
2) Patriots
3) Yankees
4) Red Sox
5) Knicks
6) Celtics
7) UConn MBB
8) Jets
9) Mets
10) UConn WBB
The NFL has a strong fan base
but the loyalties don’t run nearly as deep for local teams .
You could count PAT fans on one hand prior to 2001. The Giants had a good fan base. I use to say you interest in the Giants was inversely proportional to your actual football knowledge. / S . You could find numerous Jets , Colt, Cowboy , Packer , Steeler , 49 fans and Brown fans.
I remember going to Philly to watch the Browns as my friends were fans.
NFL football was a small cult following before 1960 . Baseball has generational roots to the 1920’s and before. UConn men’s basketball since the early 1950’s . A resident could identify with a State team When I grew up in the 1950’s , Yale had more football fans than the NFL Giants.
Football was always a more elitist sport because it was a college sport
Even the NFL was a post grad enterprise,
at a time when few went to college .
I grew up a Steeler fan before they were good because as a Yankee fan I hated the New York Giants. baseball team. They only logic to team loyalty is illogical .
The Steelers although they weren’t real good were always a tough blue collar team.,more reminiscent of my valley roots. The Giants were country club in the 1950’s .,
and had as many haters as fans .
They might have attained a Yankee Aura ( they played in the Stadium) but you always had access to the Yankees . where I can’t remember anyone ever going to a Giant game until the played in the Bowl in the 1970’s.
Speaking of state loyalty I was in San Juan airport awaiting a flight to Hartford that was delayed with over 100 others . This was just as UConn football was transitioning to FBS. I thought the move was stupid until some UK fans informed me they got more revenue from football than basketball and the move was a no brainer. I personally didn’t think there was enough fan interest . The score UConn 30- Navy 0 was announced and a large oroar when up from the waiting passengers. Residents love to associate with success.

Reaction Score
You guys are on crack if you think UConn mens or womens basketball are the two most popular sports teams in the state. You think more people follow college basketball than the NFL or MLB? Lol. Come on

It has to be the Giants or Yankees, and it’s probably not even close.

How would you measure it? I’m guessing TV viewership, Twitter mentions by state, or merch sales.
It's really hard to measure/determine who really is the most popular team. But I bet UConn isn't far behind if not ahead of those teams just on the fact that it's really CT's only team. So most people are going to tell you that's their favorite college team.

Reaction Score
Idk how old you are SJ but as a kid growing up in Litchfield county (New Hartford) it seemed a pretty even split. I graduated in 2005 so the Pats and Sox were, for the most part, winning and more importantly winning championships. I knew Pats fan before Brady too. One thing for certain we all loved UConn bball, mostly the men’s teams. You have one fan who likes the Yankees, Patriots, Celtics and Rangers. But the winners are ultimately the most popular teams.

P.S.- I work with a dude who is a Florida Gators college football fan, Kansas Jayhawks bball fan, Packers fan, Yankees fan and Warriors fan and claims he isn’t a bandwagoner.
Agree with the split in Litchfield county and the time frame. Growing up on southern Litchfield county it was pretty even split. I even know some Jets, Packers, and Bills fans. Don't know about any Mets fans though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom