most overrated team in the country? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

most overrated team in the country?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No one is unbeatable, but we should not kid ourselves. This South Carolina team is capable of running the table, as long as they stay healthy enough. Their toughest remaining regular season games -- Maryland, Stanford, UConn -- will all be at home. And it would take a considerable upset for anyone in the SEC to beat them. I'm not saying they will go undefeated, but they're certainly capable.
If SC goes undefeated it will be in no small part because Dawn has become a much better coach in recent years, particularly when it comes to in game adjustments. A few years ago if UConn went on a 20-2 run against the Gamecocks it would have been game over. In the Bahamas when that happened, Dawn didn’t panic, she settled the team down, made a few adjustments, slowly but surely SC got back in the game and eventually pulled away.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If SC goes undefeated it will be in no small part because Dawn has become a much better coach in recent years, particularly when it comes to in game adjustments. A few years ago if UConn went on a 20-2 run against the Gamecocks it would have been game over. In the Bahamas when that happened, Dawn didn’t panic, she settled the team down, made a few adjustments, slowly but surely SC got back in the game and eventually pulled away.
Frankly, that might as well be ancient history at this point. UConn used to be known for its patented backbreaking "runs" against any and all teams, not just SC. But those were UConn teams of a different caliber than the current one, and the SC roster of the past 3 years is of an entirely different caliber than the days of Tina Roy and Asia Dozier and Bianca Cuevas-Moore and Alexis Jennings. The better your team, the more capable you are of recovering from an opponent's run, especially when it's only the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
It's remarkable how having comparable talent to the other team makes you look like a better coach than being hopelessly outgunned.

And the inverse of that of course.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's remarkable how having comparable talent to the other team makes you look like a better coach than being hopelessly outgunned.

And the inverse of that of course.
Certainly, Dawn has as strong a team as she has ever fielded this year, if you don’t include the summer Olympics. I would make the argument that SC had better talent than UConn in both the 2016-17 and 2020-21 seasons and still lost their head to head matchup.

But make no mistake about it, just like Geno through the years, Dawn has become a much better coach. I have seen games get away from Dawn in the past. Eventually, a coach either learns how to steady the ship or finds another job.

Reaction Score
Certainly, Dawn has as strong a team as she has ever fielded this year, if you don’t include the summer Olympics. I would make the argument that SC had better talent than UConn in both the 2016-17 and 2020-21 seasons and still lost their head to head matchup.

But make no mistake about it, just like Geno through the years, Dawn has become a much better coach. I have seen games get away from Dawn in the past. Eventually, a coach either learns how to steady the ship or finds another job.

UConn and South Carolina have played 4 games where the talent was comparable (and we'll just go by reality rather than the rankings which have probably yet to favor SC).

They've split them 2-2 with one going to OT.

Dawn has always been a very good coach who was overachieving with what she had. At no point in her career has there ever been a figure it out or find a new job dynamic.

It's very difficult to play pretty offensive basketball when you have 2-3 offensive holes in the lineup and little inside/outside balance.

SC isn't really trying to do much different than it has always done. Dawn just has better and more pieces.

You could send her back in time and the results wouldn't be much different, I don't think.

Reaction Score
Right now, coming off the performance against Seton Hall, I would say that UCONN is the most overrated team in the country right now. I also feel that this team has a great chance of winning a National Championship this season. But they need a great deal of improvement in certain areas, some players on this team need to step it up, and they need to get back those injured players who are integral pieces on this team.

Reaction Score
No one is unbeatable, but we should not kid ourselves. This South Carolina team is capable of running the table, as long as they stay healthy enough. Their toughest remaining regular season games -- Maryland, Stanford, UConn -- will all be at home. And it would take a considerable upset for anyone in the SEC to beat them. I'm not saying they will go undefeated, but they're certainly capable.
As a proud Carolina fan, I don’t want this team to go undefeated. Losses make Dawn Staley’s teams so much better, and I’m still haunted by the memories of the Gonzaga men last year. It’s not that I think the Gamecocks aren’t mentally tough enough to handle the pressure, but a tough reminder that you’re beatable is good every now and again.

With that said, I would be shocked if Maryland, without a player over 6’3” and without a player who plays consistent defense, can even remotely threaten SC. The NC State and Stanford games were not flukes, Benzan or no Benzan.

I don’t see UConn beating SC on the road in January (that’s a completely different story should they meet elsewhere in the NCAAT, though), so at this point I think Stanford is far and above the most likely to knock off the Gamecocks, although I still wouldn't favor them to do it.

If Paige misses any significant time, it’s likely to harm the Huskies in the short term but may pay off in the long run as it’ll force some others to show their stuff. Obviously hoping for the best, though.

Reaction Score
As a proud Carolina fan, I don’t want this team to go undefeated. Losses make Dawn Staley’s teams so much better, and I’m still haunted by the memories of the Gonzaga men last year. It’s not that I think the Gamecocks aren’t mentally tough enough to handle the pressure, but a tough reminder that you’re beatable is good every now and again.

With that said, I would be shocked if Maryland, without a player over 6’3” and without a player who plays consistent defense, can even remotely threaten SC. The NC State and Stanford games were not flukes, Benzan or no Benzan.

I don’t see UConn beating SC on the road in January (that’s a completely different story should they meet elsewhere in the NCAAT, though), so at this point I think Stanford is far and above the most likely to knock off the Gamecocks, although I still wouldn't favor them to do it.

If Paige misses any significant time, it’s likely to harm the Huskies in the short term but may pay off in the long run as it’ll force some others to show their stuff. Obviously hoping for the best, though.
i think Tennessee matches Up with us well and could give us a game but our depth will be the difference. We also play them at home….Duke will be a good game - away - and you know the Crazies will show up. Dawn said when she made up this schedule she wanted this team exposed to all different types of play. I think she has that covered. I agree that Stanford will be a good test and hate that it’s played on Dec 21 when campus is shut down for the holidays. Should be a fun season.

Reaction Score

don't compare Sc to Gonzaga. Gonzaga plays in a garbage conference that they rack up cheap wins. My champ was Baylor, they played in the brutal big 12.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
don't compare Sc to Gonzaga. Gonzaga plays in a garbage conference that they rack up cheap wins. My champ was Baylor, they played in the brutal big 12.
Why does everything have to be so hyperbole negative for you? Gonzaga Men's program would be good in any conference. They play a strong OOC and have had significant success in the NCAAT so regardless of the conference, they perform.
Mark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home

Reaction Score
Wow...let's flip what you just said to 2020-2021 WBB. "UConn plays in a garbage conference that they rack up cheap wins. My champ was Stanford, they played in the brutal Pac 12."

Teams like Gonzaga (MBB) and UConn (WBB) make up for their weak conference schedules by scheduling a number of tough out-of-conference matchups every season. So they are battle-tested. The one drawback to both teams' conference schedules is that things get pretty easy the last couple months of the season. That's why Geno pushes his teams the way he does, by challenging them in practice and demanding excellence even in blowout victories.

Reaction Score
Wow...let's flip what you just said to 2020-2021 WBB. "UConn plays in a garbage conference that they rack up cheap wins. My champ was Stanford, they played in the brutal Pac 12."

Teams like Gonzaga (MBB) and UConn (WBB) make up for their weak conference schedules by scheduling a number of tough out-of-conference matchups every season. So they are battle-tested. The one drawback to both teams' conference schedules is that things get pretty easy the last couple months of the season. That's why Geno pushes his teams the way he does, by challenging them in practice and demanding excellence even in blowout victories.
I think the women's program should also be acknowledged here. They do their best to have a challenging OOC schedule as well. Had a good battle with Stanford already. Looking forward to seeing how they fare against Washington State on Wednesday.

Reaction Score

lol at comparing wbb to mbb where it's more physical and demanding.

Reaction Score
lol at comparing wbb to mbb where it's more physical and demanding.
Not comparing on that basis at all. Simply saying that top teams (MBB and WBB) that play in "garbage" conferences can somewhat make up for their weak conference schedules by scheduling tough non-conference games. Both Gonzaga men and UConn women are prime examples of how that is done.

Reaction Score
Not comparing on that basis at all. Simply saying that top teams (MBB and WBB) that play in "garbage" conferences can somewhat make up for their weak conference schedules by scheduling tough non-conference games. Both Gonzaga men and UConn women are prime examples of how that is done.
yea their 0 titles prove it

Reaction Score
2 appearances in the Championship Game in the last 4 Tourneys, yeah they're turrible as Barkley would say.
and they were overmatched in both, because they can't beat teams who go through the gauntlet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
and they were overmatched in both, because they can't beat teams who go through the gauntlet.

Not really... they should have won in 2017... I will never forgive them for blowing that game... my blood pressure has just rose just thinking about it. Now vs Baylor... that was a blood bath I

Reaction Score
Not really... they should have won in 2017... I will never forgive them for blowing that game... my blood pressure has just rose just thinking about it. Now vs Baylor... that was a blood bath I
they had the easiest path in history to a final, Northwestern/Xavier/South Carolina. What was sadder is they needed a go ahead 3 to beat WEST Virginia in the rd of 32. They were running on luck, but luck ran out vs UNC. Unc could have easily gone back 2 back but Nova had other ideas.

Reaction Score
it pains me to say it but until Clark gets some consistent players around her, her teams are going nowhere. I really hope this doesn't end up like Delle Donne at Delaware.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
it pains me to say it but until Clark gets some consistent players around her, her teams are going nowhere. I really hope this doesn't end up like Delle Donne at Delaware.
So...is UConn every bit as dependent on Bueckers as Iowa is on Clark? I'd have to say a resounding yes.

Reaction Score
So...is UConn every bit as dependent on Bueckers as Iowa is on Clark? I'd have to say a resounding yes. On paper UConn has a lot more talent up and down their roster than Iowa does, but it sure didn't show tonight.
True, but very few are giving Georgia Tech credit for the team they showed everyone tonight, and in their last game at Georgia. Georgia Tech is a TOP 25 team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
True, but very few are giving Georgia Tech credit for the team they showed everyone tonight, and in their last game at Georgia. Georgia Tech is a TOP 25 team.
GT plays really good defense, their offense isn't very good. I guess that doesn't exclude teams from being in the Top 25. They do have 2 straight big wins. Two losses this year to Auburn and Purdue maybe aren't terrible but not exactly good losses.

Reaction Score
GT plays really good defense, their offense isn't very good. I guess that doesn't exclude teams from being in the Top 25. They do have 2 straight big wins. Two losses this year to Auburn and Purdue maybe aren't terrible but not exactly good losses.
Hard to know who is legit TOP25 this early in the preseason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom