most overrated team in the country? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

most overrated team in the country?

Reaction Score
As of this week, North Carolina, for sure, at least by NET standards.

AP wise, I'm not totally sold on Arizona and Baylor; Arizona has one very close OT win over Louisville and otherwise a pretty underwhelming slate of victories (including a few inexplicably tight ones, like Vandy), and Baylor doesn't even have a good win yet at all.

And, quite honestly, Stanford really doesn't feel like a #2 team. I feel like we have that honor only because everyone below us has worse losses than we do, and we do have a pretty good slate of wins (vs. Maryland, vs. Indiana, @ Tenn, @ Gonzaga). I can't make the case for why NC State or Arizona should be ranked above us, but I also don't feel at all like we're the #2 team in the country.

I guess this is what parity looks like?
This is turning out to be one strange year. Favoites gitting knocked off unexpectedly and many teams with insane injury lists. Ordinarily I would agree with you about Stanford for this year, but then again what other team is worthy of #2 ? They are basically # 2 by default.

I can just visualize Austin Powers holding Charlie Creme's head in the toilet asking him who's number two.

Reaction Score
As of this week, North Carolina, for sure, at least by NET standards.

AP wise, I'm not totally sold on Arizona and Baylor; Arizona has one very close OT win over Louisville and otherwise a pretty underwhelming slate of victories (including a few inexplicably tight ones, like Vandy), and Baylor doesn't even have a good win yet at all.

And, quite honestly, Stanford really doesn't feel like a #2 team. I feel like we have that honor only because everyone below us has worse losses than we do, and we do have a pretty good slate of wins (vs. Maryland, vs. Indiana, @ Tenn, @ Gonzaga). I can't make the case for why NC State or Arizona should be ranked above us, but I also don't feel at all like we're the #2 team in the country.

I guess this is what parity looks like?
I hear what you mean but think Stanford is the rightful #2 right now. Quite the string of quality wins (second only to SC in my eyes) and two close losses to other ranked squads. Stanford’s lack of a primary ballhandler was and is an issue but the team appears to be adjusting even without a clear answer.

If Stanford wins tonight, they should (and will) be #1 by virtue of beating the incumbent #1 head-to-head. Those two losses feel further and further away each week and polls have always reflected recency bias (and rightly so, in most cases).

Reaction Score
I hear what you mean but think Stanford is the rightful #2 right now. Quite the string of quality wins (second only to SC in my eyes) and two close losses to other ranked squads. Stanford’s lack of a primary ballhandler was and is an issue but the team appears to be adjusting even without a clear answer.

If Stanford wins tonight, they should (and will) be #1 by virtue of beating the incumbent #1 head-to-head. Those two losses feel further and further away each week and polls have always reflected recency bias (and rightly so, in most cases).
I believe the humans would elevate a winning Stanford over SCar. The computers could still have SCar number one if we lose.

Reaction Score
We may have to move Iowa way up on the list of "overrated" today after losing to IUPUI at home to fall to 6-3. Clark is the real deal but the team as a whole apparently has its share of question marks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We may have to move Iowa way up on the list of "overrated" today after losing to IUPUI at home to fall to 6-3. Clark is the real deal but the team as a whole apparently has its share of question marks.

giphy.gif

Turrible turrible loss.... takes alot of luster off of that beatdown they got in Durham.

Reaction Score
Looking at the stats for the Iowa-IUPUI game, their 3PT shooting was way off (4-22). Yikes, that's not typical of them.

And a 27-11 fourth quarter for IUPUI. Wow.

Reaction Score
It will be very interesting to see how the AP PreSeason TOP 25 compares at the end of the season AP rankings. POWER5 doesn't mean much except for the TOP 2-3 in each POWER5 conference. That is why Charlie Creme's updates on the NCAA bracket are a complete joke at this point in the season. ESPN (Charlie Creme) brackets should not be done until we are 3/4 way through the entire season....like February timeframe. But ESPN desperately needs the clicks

Reaction Score
The way this season is unfolding, other than South Carolina, Stanford, and NC State, any team that gets ranked after them is overrated. Holy smokes! And even today, things could flip. No team is safe.

Reaction Score
Louisville is the winner! I think that was one of the worst offensive perfomances I can recall. 6 pts in the last minute all by ft's. Walz changing the whole offense the team looks totally out of sync, like they don't even know how to play basketball.
Don't think that Uconn will have much to worry when they meet.
Congratulations to Jeff Walz and the Louisville Cardinals. The Cards went from arguably the most overrated team in the country (after one game) to a spot in the Final Four. Way to overcome, Coach Walz!

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Jeff Walz and the Louisville Cardinals. The Cards went from arguably the most overrated team in the country (after one game) to a spot in the Final Four. Way to overcome, Coach Walz!
As painful as the losses to NC State and Miami were, they motivated this team to get better. Walz deserves credit, of course, but it was the players who dug down and found a little more.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was overrated in 2017 too and they made the final, thankful to the Tarheels that ended that fluke run, woulda been a horrible image for cbb.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was overrated in 2017 too and they made the final, thankful to the Tarheels that ended that fluke run, woulda been a horrible image for cbb.

Wow, that is some shade.

(If Zach Collins didn't brick that three in during the latter stages of the Final Four game you'd really be scratching your head about the 2017 champion)

Reaction Score
Whoa.....Where is this coming from? How is it related to WBB teams from this season?
That poster is saying that overrated teams make the Final Four too and is using 2017 MBB Gonzaga team as an example.

Reaction Score
They really were overrated despite making me eat crow - once
Well with the exception of the SECT run (which they deserve credit for), they absolutely underachieved.

They finished 9th in the SEC standings and didn't even make it out the first round again. Now everyone is jumping ship and Howard is off to the WNBA. Elzy has a tough hill to climb unless she cashes in on some good players out the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom