Most of Our Feelings Summed Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most of Our Feelings Summed Up

Reaction Score
First, he doesn’t deserve to be fired right now. Not even at the end of the year...

That’s not what I’m saying.

The best thing for us is that he right the ship.
Anything resembling last season and he 100% deserves to be fired at the end of the year. Not doing so is just admitting we are done with men's basketball.

Reaction Score
If Ollie somehow turns this around, quickly, which eventually leads to a spot in the dance as, at least a 7 seed, I am willing to give him another year. That result yesterday set him and his team back for sure. For fans to be okay with giving Ollie another year, I think, requires Uconn to really bounce back big time. Because that is the kind of loss that knocks a fringe team that is on the bubble off the bubble come March. If Uconn is anything like they were two Marchs ago for this coming March, pundits will not let anyone forget 102-67. THAT would be a death knell if this year is otherwise similar to two years ago. Uconn has to hope Arkansas does an amazing job in the SEC this year to lessen the blow of such an awful loss. Because if they are middling, that looks even worse, terrible for Uconn.

Any way, if Ollie continues to lead a team as poorly as yesterday into late December, if I were the AD I would start searching by that point.

I wish Uconn could just join the BE and promise that conference that "hey we are also coming with a new coach too" IF Ollie indeed continues to sink and at the same time, do whatever they can with football that is agreeable to the Big east (keeping it in the aac or otherwise). Uconn will recruit better in the BE. I think they should go for it, seems like the best possibility, best fit, etc. Uconn was never a football school, we need to stop pretending. vs Oklahoma that one year was just a flash in the pan. Go back to a conference that suits the schools history, bball. I feel like I am off the Ollie train, so to speak, and patience is very very thin.

Reaction Score
As an Ollie supporter I'm worried now. Losing to MSU was one thing. Our kids played hard and were beaten by a stronger team.
Our players flat out quit against Arkansas in the second half. I liked this team but not so much anymore. Their performance against Arkansas was cowardly. Inept I can take but cowardice is unforgivable.

Reaction Score
You are 180 degrees wrong on this one. UCF has been called, for quite a few years now, the "sleeping giant" of college athletics. They have an enrollment of 65,000. That's double ours, 50% larger than Michigan, and about the same size as Ohio State. They're located in a state with 21 million people in it, and it's growing. For comparison, Connecticut has a population of 3.6 million, and ranked 2nd in a recent poll of states people would like to leave.
Finally, they are located in Orlando, Florida.
UCF has put their stake in the ground. They are big time. They will continue to be big time.

They will end up in a P5 before us, I'd unfortunately bet.

I reluctantly agree. They are on the come, for sure. For so long, I was worried about Cinn. taking our spot. You have to think of UCF as a major competitor for an ACC offer.

Reaction Score
Coach Ollie,

Man, I’m at a loss. I don’t know what to think. There was so much optimism just before the season started; we’re 4-0 and we’re all thinking we got this thing righted…finally. Then we hit the rocks.

I’m reminded that Once upon a time in the west, 3 of our 4 NC title runs began. Unfortunately, we go back out west to Portland, Oregon and make News by losing 2 games by 55 points. Where do you think you’re going Coach Ollie? Are you taking us on a ride, getting our hopes up…again, only to be disappointed in the end? What is your communique for these losses? Please, answer the 800 pound gorilla in the room question that is being asked by the press, the sportscasters, the celebrity announcers, the lady writer and the loyal fans; what is going on?

I know, it’s only been 6 games but I’m wondering if even an angel of mercy can stop this hemorrhaging. Even a Portobello Belle could sell an excuse better than what we’re hearing.

Steer the ship Coach Ollie, don’t be a single-handed sailor, use everything you got, not just words but action, do something…now! If you do, you can guarantee that the UCONN faithful by just hearing you say; follow me home, will, and with all they got too!

Currently, our program is in Dire Straits and it’s up to you to steer it clear. No excuses Coach…just do it!

Sincerely,

A longtime loyal UCONN fan

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Coach Ollie,

Man, I’m at a loss. I don’t know what to think. There was so much optimism just before the season started; we’re 4-0 and we’re all thinking we got this thing righted…finally. Then we hit the rocks.

I’m reminded that Once upon a time in the west, 3 of our 4 NC title runs began. Unfortunately, we go back out west to Portland, Oregon and make News by losing 2 games by 55 points. Where do you think you’re going Coach Ollie? Are you taking us on a ride, getting our hopes up…again, only to be disappointed in the end? What is your communique for these losses? Please, answer the 800 pound gorilla in the room question that is being asked by the press, the sportscasters, the celebrity announcers, the lady writer and the loyal fans; what is going on?

I know, it’s only been 6 games but I’m wondering if even an angel of mercy can stop this hemorrhaging. Even a Portobello Belle could sell an excuse better than what we’re hearing.

Steer the ship Coach Ollie, don’t be a single-handed sailor, use everything you got, not just words but action, do something…now! If you do, you can guarantee that the UCONN faithful by just hearing you say; follow me home, will, and with all they got too!

Currently, our program is in Dire Straits and it’s up to you to steer it clear. No excuses Coach…just do it!

Sincerely,

A longtime loyal UCONN fan

It's bee a traumatic 48 hours for me with respect to basketball, so forgive me but what the hell am I missing with the Dire Straits references? Is it KOs favorite band or something? Help me out here.

Reaction Score
My reference to Dire Straits is because I feel like the program is currently in Dire Straits. Hence the Dire Straits references.

In my letter, i used all the titles of all the songs in the Communique (explanation for losses) album to try and get a point across.

I don't know if Coach Ollie listens to Dire Straits or not, I just thought it would be interesting to do.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Even if he has a losing season and we don’t go dancing, he’ll probably stay around for another year because we don’t want to burn the money on his buyout.

Unless a wealthy donor fronts it.

Reaction Score
No, it is a solid post. One of the better ones I have read recently.

Reaction Score
Even if he has a losing season and we don’t go dancing, he’ll probably stay around for another year because we don’t want to burn the money on his buyout.

Or a bunch of fans start a gofundme. Has that not been done before?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Or a bunch of fans start a gofundme. Has that not been done before?
Start it. If you live in the state you’re already somewhat paying for his contract.

I’m not paying the AD twice to do his job, which by the way I’m already paying him for.

Reaction Score
Start it. If you live in the state you’re already somewhat paying for his contract.

I’m not paying the AD twice to do his job, which by the way I’m already paying him for.
Currently I live in Guatemala, haha. I thought I heard somewhere that student fees also contribute to his salary. Is that true? If it is, I wonder how the current climate is on campus in regards to this performance and last years 16-17 record...Are students pissed or more apathetic?

Reaction Score
Is it a problem when your best 5 players are all guards/perimeter guys, yet you are an AWFUL outside shooting team?
What you are saying, we should join a 6' and under league and we still be in the middle of the pack

Reaction Score
And ur bigs give u absolutely nothing and can’t even move with the call without traveling?
Only when they catch it, it usually goes through their hands ( maybe because they are surprised?) then they get hit in the head, out of bounds

Reaction Score
Remember UCF was 0-12 two seasons ago and now they are 11-0 and ranked 15th in the nation. Why can't UConn turn its program around? UCF is all the proof I need they can. And i don't buy the excuse that good football teams can't come out of the New England.
UCF is in the college hot bed for recruiting .Loaded with high school talent in the Florida area.The Northeast doesn't come close.

Reaction Score
It's a death spiral with no way out. We're the sports program equivalent of Charly from Flowers for Algernon. I still can't understand why we had no allies this entire time. I think it's because the UConn's of the world aren't supposed to win. And when we did, the nobles got pissed and the common ruck got jealous.

I don't live in Connecticut but most of my family does. It's a pretty good mix of D's and R's in my family so there is really no biased sample. When we have a family get together they are all universally critical of Connecticut government leadership. Like really critical. In many areas. Especially recently. It does appear to many people to be a poorly run state and the budget deficit seems to reflect that.

As a UConn fan who works in communications and PR, watching our schools strategy during many tough battles in many rounds of conference realignment and NCAA infractions in recent years, I was struck by our performance. Timid, back on our heels, unfocused, missed opportunities, our leaders not using social media to push stories/narratives. It all matters. Even if it doesn't move the ball it helps with fan morale and sentiment. And usually a lot of our fans take a rather defeatist "there's nothing anyone can do" attitude. It may be time to face that Connecticut gets the leadership it deserves and that UConn may have been poorly served in a lot of areas. It's a big reason we are in this Flowers for Algernon spiral.

Reaction Score

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s kept for 3 more or even the end of his contract.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Thanks!

Reaction Score
I used to focus much blame on specifically BC regarding our "blackball" from the ACC. I don't want to get bogged down with this (and perhaps I'll be consigned to the cesspool for doing so), but don't under estimate the impact of Blumenthal's (A.G. at that time) suit against BC, Miami and the ACC in 2002-2003.

As you may know, Blumenthal made the law suit personal by suing individuals employed by those different entities. He could have just sued the entities for the same relief, without disrupting people's personal lives. A number of those folks were still powerful decision makers in 2011 and 2012 when the 3 new teams were added. They got their revenge.

So while I agree with your comments in certain respects, I can't overlook Blumenthal's antics in the early 2000's..

Absolutely. When I'm sued personally, I have no problem with the people suing me and will forgive them immediately but I blame their lawyer forever.

Seriously, do you not realize how idiotic that theory is? You think other people are so dumb that they are o.k. forgiving those who actually sued them but not their lawyer?

Reaction Score
Indeed, recruiting is a big piece. Do you think with 4 national championships and a slew of exceptional NBA players that we should be able to compete with the UK's, Duke's and UNC's? I would think with hitting the recruiting trail there is a great resume' but the thing that hurts most is a lackluster showing over the past few years and also playing in what is considered an inferior conference. I tend to think the latter is somewhat of a non-issue because the bottom line is you need wins.

We didn't compete with those schools in recruiting when Calhoun was here. What we did, however, was compete with them on the court. The thought that we have to compete with them in recruiting going forward dooms us to failure before we start.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. When I'm sued personally, I have no problem with the people suing me and will forgive them immediately but I blame their lawyer forever.

Seriously, do you not realize how idiotic that theory is? You think other people are so dumb that they are o.k. forgiving those who actually sued them but not their lawyer?
I'm kinda confused here, I think Sea Goat is saying that Sea Goat blames Blumenthal for pissing those folks off and the negative consequence hitting UConn. Seemed like an argument at mitigating to some degree how culpable UConn officials were in conference realignment fiasco, but not saying that b/c it wasn't a UConn employee filing the personal lawsuit that UConn wouldn't be accountable (to BC, Miami etc). Or more succinctly State of CT shares the blame - not a big leap given the state of the state.

I'm not sure if its also likely within that web that b/c its a state U, the UConn admin couldn't stand up to Blumenthal and say don't do that.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda confused here, I think Sea Goat is saying that Sea Goat blames Blumenthal for pissing those folks off and the negative consequence hitting UConn. Seemed like an argument at mitigating to some degree how culpable UConn officials were in conference realignment fiasco, but not saying that b/c it wasn't a UConn employee filing the personal lawsuit that UConn wouldn't be accountable (to BC, Miami etc). Or more succinctly State of CT shares the blame - not a big leap given the state of the state.

I'm not sure if its also likely within that web that b/c its a state U, the UConn admin couldn't stand up to Blumenthal and say don't do that.

I'll make it simple for you if you were lost in my facetiousness. Pitt, UConn, West Virginia and Rutgers, as institutions, all decided to sue the ACC, the departing institutions and their principals. A decision among the four of them (counseled by Skadden) was made that Connecticut was the best place to bring the suit, so the AG became lead counsel by law with Skadden doing most of the work. I have been sued twice. I would gladly punch the folks who sued me in the nose today, decades later, if I thought I could do so without consequences. I would happily buy their lawyers a drink if I ran into them in a bar. People who are sued know whom to blame. Obviously, idiots on internet message boards don't.

Reaction Score
I reluctantly agree. They are on the come, for sure. For so long, I was worried about Cinn. taking our spot. You have to think of UCF as a major competitor for an ACC offer.
Fortunately for us the ACC already has Miami and FSU in Florida. I don't think they want to give UCF or USF any more leverage in that state. I'm not saying they aren't attractive, quite the opposite. I would imagine FSU and Miami agreeing to UConn before either of them, because we are less of a threat in football, and they don't have to worry about losing recruits that want to play at the P5 level in-state. I think Cinci, and maybe Houston or SMU to a lesser extent, are still the biggest threats.

Reaction Score
The lawsuit is not factoring into these decisions. They took Cuse and Pitt. I don't care what Flipper said, the lawsuit isn't the reason he didn't want us in the ACC, the threat we pose to them is the only reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom