Most of Our Feelings Summed Up | The Boneyard

Most of Our Feelings Summed Up

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what it will take to make him realize that what he’s trying to do isn’t working.

Every time we turn around, we have some new, dubious milestone - first time losing to a Connecticut school in 30 years, first losing record in 30 years, first opening game loss on campus, worst loss in 40 years...

We can’t get a shooter on campus, we can’t put together a competent front court, a couple of his best recruits never made it and a trio of the ones who did bailed out.

He’s being paid an absolute fortune, attendance has fallen off the table, the athletic subsidy is growing because our former cash cow program is waning....and Conference realignment is looming, probably for the very last time, in about three to five years and we are absolutely destined for permanent out status right now.

If you’re not ten steps beyond worried, you’re not paying enough attention.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what it will take to make him realize that what he’s trying to do isn’t working.

Every time we turn around, we have some new, dubious milestone - first time losing to a Connecticut school in 30 years, first losing record in 30 years, first opening game loss on campus, worst loss in 40 years...

We can’t get a shooter on campus, we can’t put together a competent front court, a couple of his best recruits never made it and a trio of the ones who did bailed out.

He’s being paid an absolute fortune, attendance has fallen off the table, the athletic subsidy is growing because our former cash cow program is waning....and Conference realignment is looming, probably for the very last time, in about three to five years and we are absolutely destined for permanent out status right now.

I agree with everything.

Realignment needs to be the motivating factor for everything the AD does going forward. Ollie is on the bit seat now and he knows it. No NCAA bid (and after today, it doesn't look great) this year will end his tenure at UConn. If that happens, AD cannot miss on new hire.

Reaction Score

Basketball is what took this University to the heights it's at and the sole focus has to be on saving it and turning it around. We have our answer on Ollie and it's time to go in a different direction before anymore damage is done. You drag this out another season and it's in serious danger of being too far gone to save.

The rest of the country hasn't really caught on to how bad it is but they are starting to figure it out. We blew it with the football program, we mess around with this much longer and we will blow it with our basketball program. Benedict has to be scouting and putting together his list of targets yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah I mean this all pretty loaded, for one. Because other things are at stake.

I guess my worldview of this whole period of athletics is/was this:

We had a chance to really run a draw play, and put together a competitive football program and simultaneously keep the basketball program at an elite level - but the window to do it and the margin for error was really small. It was made smaller by realignment and it's been shrinking even more (and more rapidly) with every misstep.

Edsall left. Then the Big East blew apart. Then Calhoun stepped down. Then probation. Then Pasqualini. Then Diaco. With the exception of a spirited '13 and the great run in the '14 tournament, Ollie's been almost a total bust. And it's just been more steps back since then. And more money spent for progressively worse results. And now you have this whole other element of the state budget crisis starting to bubble up and I dunno - it's a perfect storm of awful, really.

We had a chance to have both football and hoops and I just think that realistically, that window slammed shut pretty quickly and we didn't make it through the opening in time. Simple reality is that we're not at a point financially, from a recruiting standpoint, marketing standpoint, prestige standpoint where you can have both at a high level.

And that's not even getting into your standard-issue, sheer endurance test you're asking fans to take part in and expecting them to be OK with. You're asking fans to sit around and watch Villanova, Marquette, Butler, Creighton and even freaking Providence and Seton Hall doing *perfectly fine* in the new Big East and in other cases - seeing Xavier up their profile as well.... all of whom avoided football entirely - and they're fine, they've maintained, gotten better academically AND athletically.

And meanwhile they look at their pocket schedule and here's UConn playing none of those guys, but rather East Carolina with marketing behind it that says 'yeah we know we shouldn't be playing these bums, we're better than them anyway and don't worry, just show up and play pretend with us for a few years and we'll be on to facing the REAL teams in a few years. Once the football team figures its face out." It's legitimately counter-intuitive marketing.

And then I look at the long view for football and I dunno what we're really even chasing. I mean since the last round of realignment, the Big XII is already looking like that's going to fall apart. Which means the Pac-12, B1G, ACC and SEC pack in more schools - and then they may even consider kicking out social loafers. And that just leads to this endless cycle of stupidity. I love that TV $$ too but at what point do people just sit back and ask themselves whether chasing that is worth literally blowing every other thing up about your athletic department - especially the hoops program - which has quite literally been the rocket fuel to help the University boost its profile.

There's a TV rights bubble brewing. The conference realignment stuff is going to continue to be a mess. I don't know why, how or where we'd fit or whether it's even a real, legit fix long term. Now you've got the feds getting involved in hoops recruiting, and it's only a matter of time before they're involved in football recruiting, too. Football in general might be headed to a real bubble with the way it's youth participation rates are trending...

I'm sitting here looking at this really awesome basketball program (s) we've had over the years that's been really helpful to boosting the profile of the university and serving as a deep source of civic pride in a state where nothing seems to be going well anymore and saying to myself 'gee, this is really nice, I appreciate it and want to see it do well, let's just go to the new big east and see where things go.'

Instead - *because we are chasing football* - we are in a conference with opponents that no one has interest in seeing us play. With no real geographic bump... I mean honestly I'd rather see us play St John's 15 times a year than I'd want to see us play Memphis once. Because there's history there, a common, shared history. There's less interest in the hoops program not just because the team is getting worse - but because the opponents aren't interesting.

I think the scenario that no one wanted to have happen - having to choose between football and hoops - is going to be a decision they're going to have to make. And if it's me - i'm for saving hoops all day over anything with the football program. I dunno where i'm even going with all this, but I'm just cooked on this stuff. They're outta time. They've gotta make a decision. What sucks is the progressive incompetence of Ollie is helping to close that window, so a first part of that bigger decision is figuring out what to do with him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a perfect mixture of bad luck, betrayal (schools like BC saying they were going to be loyal to the BE and then *bam, they join the acc), blackballing (a lot by BC because they can not stand to compete with Uconn, especially on the bball court), lack of fore sight/being proactive (umm, hello, who could not see this coming at the latest of 2010) and poor timing.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean this all pretty loaded, for one. Because other things are at stake.

I guess my worldview of this whole period of athletics is/was this:

We had a chance to really run a great draw play, put together a competitive football program, keep the basketball program at an elite level and get into a power-5 conference or at least line us up as one of the obvious adds for round-2. For the first 5-10 years or so, that all kind of seemed to be lining up. Then Edsall left. Then the Big East blew apart. Then Calhoun stepped down.... and it's just been more steps back since then. And more money spent for progressively worse results. And now you have this whole other element of the state budget crisis starting to bubble up and I dunno - it's a perfect storm of awful, really.

We had a chance to have both football and hoops and I just think that realistically, that window slammed shut pretty quickly and we didn't make it through the opening in time. It's really hard for me to sit here and watch Villanova, Marquette, Butler, Creighton and even freaking Providence and Seton Hall doing *perfectly fine* in the new Big East and in other cases - seeing Xavier up their profile as well.... and they just all avoided the football goddess. They're fine, they've maintained, gotten better, etc. We haven't.

And then I look at the long view for football and I dunno what we're really even chasing. I mean since the last round of realignment, the Big XII is already looking like that's going to fall apart. Which means the Pac-12, B1G, ACC and SEC pack in more schools - and then even consider kicking out social loafers. WHich i mean - just leads to this endless cycle of stupidity. I love that TV $$ too but good lord at what point do people just sit back and ask themselves whether chasing that is worth literally blowing every other thing up - especially the hoops program - which has quite literally been the rocket fuel to help the University boost its profile.

There's a TV rights bubble brewing. The conference realignment stuff is going to continue to be a mess. I don't know why, how or where we'd fit or whether it's even a real, legit fix long term. Now you've got the feds getting involved in hoops recruiting, it's a matter of time before they're involved in football recruiting and I dunno.

I'm sitting here looking at this really awesome basketball program (s) we've had over the years that's been really helpful to boosting the profile of the university and serving as a deep source of civic pride in a state where nothing seems to be going well anymore and saying to myself 'gee, this is really nice, I appreciate it and want to see it do well, let's just go to the new big east and see where things go.'

I think the scenario that no one wanted to have happen - having to choose between football and hoops - is going to be a decision they're going to have to make. And if it's me - i'm for saving hoops all day over anything with the football program. I dunno where i'm even going with all this, but I'm just cooked on this stuff. They're outta time. They've gotta make a decision. What sucks is the progressive incompetence of Ollie is helping to close that window, so a first part of that bigger decision is figuring out what to do with him.
Towney, I see exactly what youre trying to say. As far as the whole Big East thing goes, IDK if there is a difference of opinion on that within the athletic department, but I remember Donny Marshall, who is an alumni trustee, talking on the FOX pre game show before the Georgetown game last year about UConn returning to the Big East. I know that sparks a lot of heated debates here. I understand you have to think big picture, but what exactly is the realistic big picture?

Reaction Score
Towney, I see exactly what youre trying to say. As far as the whole Big East thing goes, IDK if there is a difference of opinion on that within the athletic department, but I remember Donny Marshall, who is an alumni trustee, talking on the FOX pre game show before the Georgetown game last year about UConn returning to the Big East. I know that sparks a lot of heated debates here. I understand you have to think big picture, but what exactly is the realistic big picture?
Think Donny wants a coaching gig?

Reaction Score
What's ironic is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time is currently active and employed and kicking ass for the millionth year in a row with great ball movement and tenacious defense and he's coaching the women's team when its the men's team that really needs him most.

Reaction Score

I guess the point i'm trying to make is: We're not running out of time. We're already out of time.

And we don't have 2-3 years to figure out the football program because expecting a program to figure itself out in 2-3 years is absurd.

And we don't have 2-3 years to let Kevin Ollie figure out his life because with every bad season and the further those banners get in the rearview mirror, the less value our flagship brand has to anyone at all. And it's taking a beating right now.

I was absolutely in the camp that if you could make the run at the P5 for football, that as long as that opportunity presented itself - that we should chase it.

But now? I'm definitely in the camp of leaving the AAC for the New Big East in everything, begging the AAC to somehow keep our football program there knowing that's not gonna happen, and we'll probably end up just flopping it in the MAC and letting it do whatever it's going to do.

And as a closing caveat - this isn't ALL football's fault and I really don't want this post to come off as that even though it probably will. If we could have maintained our basketball program, there's still hope in the dream. But we haven't. If the state budget didn't hit the skids, we'd have a shot, but it did, so we don't. Football has been the primary ankle weight - but it's been everything else that's combined for the KO shot.

Given how things have shaken out with the basketball program, the missteps with the football program, the weirdness of realignment and then just the state's budget situation and all that's happening - that the P5 football dream is dead as a doornail and the #1 priority needs to be getting the hoops program back on track.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's ironic is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time is currently active and employed and kicking ass for the millionth year in a row with great ball movement and tenacious defense and he's coaching the women's team when its the men's team that really needs him most.
our men's team has the uncanny ability to make their opponents look like our women's team.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I guess the point i'm trying to make is: We're not running out of time. We're already out of time.

And we don't have 2-3 years to figure out the football program because expecting a program to figure itself out in 2-3 years is absurd.

And we don't have 2-3 years to let Kevin Ollie figure out his life because with every bad season and the further those banners get in the rearview mirror, the less value our flagship brand has to anyone at all. And it's taking a beating right now.

I was absolutely in the camp that if you could make the run at the P5 for football, that as long as that opportunity presented itself - that we should chase it.

But now? I'm definitely in the camp of leaving the AAC for the New Big East in everything, begging the AAC to somehow keep our football program there knowing that's not gonna happen, and we'll probably end up just flopping it in the MAC and letting it do whatever it's going to do.

And as a closing caveat - this isn't ALL football's fault and I really don't want this post to come off as that even though it probably will. If we could have maintained our basketball program, there's still hope in the dream. But we haven't. If the state budget didn't hit the skids, we'd have a shot, but it did, so we don't. Football has been the primary ankle weight - but it's been everything else that's combined for the KO shot.

Given how things have shaken out with the basketball program, the missteps with the football program, the weirdness of realignment and then just the state's budget situation and all that's happening - that the P5 football dream is dead as a doornail and the #1 priority needs to be getting the hoops program back on track.

The MAC won't take football only members on a permanent basis. They already threw UMASS out of the conference as a football only member because they want all conference members in for all sports. UMASS was unwilling to leave the A10.

Reaction Score
It is a perfect mixture of bad luck, betrayal (schools like BC saying they were going to be loyal to the BE and then *bam, they join the acc), blackballing (a lot by BC because they can not stand to compete with Uconn, especially on the bball court), lack of fore sight/being proactive (umm, hello, who could not see this coming at the latest of 2010) and poor timing.

I used to focus much blame on specifically BC regarding our "blackball" from the ACC. I don't want to get bogged down with this (and perhaps I'll be consigned to the cesspool for doing so), but don't under estimate the impact of Blumenthal's (A.G. at that time) suit against BC, Miami and the ACC in 2002-2003.

As you may know, Blumenthal made the law suit personal by suing individuals employed by those different entities. He could have just sued the entities for the same relief, without disrupting people's personal lives. A number of those folks were still powerful decision makers in 2011 and 2012 when the 3 new teams were added. They got their revenge.

So while I agree with your comments in certain respects, I can't overlook Blumenthal's antics in the early 2000's..

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
The season just started and we have three injuries already. Ollie and the team could not afford to enter the PK80 without Cobb.
Based on last season , there's no room for error or sympathy. We needed to be 100%.
Are we ever gonna see Alterique play at 100%?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The MAC won't take football only members on a permanent basis. They already threw UMASS out of the conference as a football only member because they want all conference members in for all sports. UMASS was unwilling to leave the A10.

That was because it was an odd 13. Get them to 14 and perhaps they reconsider.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
At this point I dread another round of CR because outside of facilities and ever distancing history there is nothing to like here. If we weren’t wanted in 2011 who would want us now?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
At this point I dread another round of CR because outside of facilities and ever distancing history there is nothing to like here. If we weren’t wanted in 2011 who would want us now?

This is my fear as well. Big 12 expansion was our last glimmer of hope I believe. Waiting til 2026 at this rate could be the end of everything that was built here

Reaction Score
Izzo was interviewed at halftime yesterday i think when they were rolling. Any problems he was asked? Yes he says, we’re dribbling the ball far too much. I laughed because all they do is pass the ball to get open shots. Compare that to Ollie’s offense. I understand they have better players but our guards do nothing but penetrate around a screen and chuck. That plus taking 3’s is our offense, and we shoot them badly. The funny thing is that we see Div 2 teams we play against run better sets than us with far less talent.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think it's time to go for broke and join the Big East. Football as a sport is going to die anyway in the near future and it doesn't look like we will be able to recruit with the majority of the AAC. Attendance is plummeting in both sports, and we can't win a national championship in football anyway. The lease for Rentschlear is up in 2023 and we haven't scheduled past then (coincidence?).
The Big East is willing to take all of our sports that they offer and are willing to go to a 20-game double round robin schedule in basketball. Between that, Syracuse at MSG, the Gavitt game, the 3-game preaseaon tournament and probably 2 more home and homes against major conferences, our schedule will be much better. Not only that, the Big East is considered a power conference in basketball by the media, pollsters, and the selection committee.
With the budget crisis, we could go down to the minimum number of sports and focus on the ones we are good at. Men's- basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, track and field, cross country. Women's- basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey, track and field, cross country.

Swimming and diving and women's hockey are costly, and we can get rid of some Title IX sports.

Reaction Score
I still remember when Syracuse and Pitt bailed out of the big east thinking wtf is Uconn doing? Obviously nothing we can do about it now but Uconn really did a disservice to itself by not taking a more proactive approach when the ship was sinking.

I too fear that it’s too late. I think Uconn is going to continue to struggle to sell games as unfortunately not many people are excited about this conference or a lousy basketball team .

Reaction Score
Is it a problem when your best 5 players are all guards/perimeter guys, yet you are an AWFUL outside shooting team?

And ur bigs give u absolutely nothing and can’t even move with the call without traveling?

Reaction Score

Has zero to do with football. If basketball was so critical, it would have already pushed us into a P5. It didn't because it doesn't move the needle when you cut through it all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom