Most Important UConn Recruit All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most Important UConn Recruit All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
These best ever questions always end up depending upon how we define the criteria of "best." If you define the primary criterion as "Who made the biggest difference right away in taking the team to the next level?," I would go with Khalid and Nadav, with a nod to KEA for being the absolutely key piece to bring a championship home to UConn.

Reaction Score
1. Chris Smith- started the foundation for what was to become an amazing 20+ years
2. Nate Miles- yes, that Nate Miles...........helped reconstruct the foundation(indirectly) for the next 20+ years!!!

To me, a recruit is someone who had impact on the program by simply committing. Guys like Smith, Donyell, Ray Allen, and Rip are guys on the list. Of note, please edit this list if UConn gets good news on Nov. 21....!!!

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Chris Smith. He was the first big time recruit JC got. I graduated the same year as Smith and remember what a huge deal his signing was. There wouldn't have been a Dream Season without Smith and that season started it all (the NIT championship before that was big too).

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Chris Smith for opening the flood gates!

Napier for shutting everybody up!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like a couple folks have mentioned, the answer is Corny Thompson. No Corny, No Big East. UConn would be just another A-10 school, known primarily for soccer.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore and Rashamel Jones both 3 year captains played with Ray, stuck around for the rebuild in the 96-97 season and accepted their roles in order to win it all in 99, both are coaching, of course Ricky as we all know is on our coaching staff.
Ricky and Rash were good players and it's nice that you are giving props to them, but most important? Even you don't believe that. I'll agree with Coach Calhoun and nominate Chris Smith

Reaction Score
Just for everyone's SA (Situational Awareness), JC has already stated that Chris Smith was the most important recruit because he was a big time in-state recruit who could have played anywhere but stayed home.

That stopped the flood gates of Ct players going elsewhere.

So, everyone here is entitled to their opinion and the rationale for their opinion, but any answer other than Chris Smith better be really good because you're opinion and rationale is in conflict with JC's.
1000% in agreement… Smitty.

Reaction Score
I would venture to say the the most important "RECRUIT" can't be one that came to UConn after UConn became "UConn!". So, by definition, we should be arguing between Ray Ray, Chris Smith, etc... Smitty started it, but for me, it was Ray. He was huge, he really put a stamp on UConn as a destination for top players. KEA and Rip and Rudy Gay and Kemba and Butler furthered UConn's rep, but, for me, it's Ray. This is not to denigrate any others contribution to furthering the brand, as we have had many, many who have.

Reaction Score
Toss up to me between Chris Smith first high profile in state kid to turn down other Big East schools in the Calhoun era, and Donyell first national top 15 type, to come to UConn when he could have went anywhere. His HS class was a beast The Fab 5, Glenn Robinson, Jason Kid. If remember correctly I think SU thought Donyell was in the bag for them.

Reaction Score
Corny Thompson.
Agree - No Corny ( and Mike McKay) No Big East so think URI basketball. Corny was a 5 Star type recruit and could have gone anywhere. Had he not come UConn would not have looked so good to the Big East at the time. UConn needed to look competitive at the time and without Corny maybe not.

Reaction Score
Ricky and Rash were good players and it's nice that you are giving props to them, but most important? Even you don't believe that. I'll agree with Coach Calhoun and nominate Chris Smith

Smith is the obvious answer, but I just like to throw out a bunch of names to make conversation.

Reaction Score
Murray Williams because he made it easier for Chris Smith to come. He was a pebble on the road to bigger recruits. He was the Gatorade player of the year that choose UConn, the year before Smith was the Gatorade POY that choose UConn.

If we didn't get MW, I don't think we get Smith.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Cliff - he started the Championship runs albeit NIT but that started it!!

Reaction Score
Can't believe not one vote for Scott Burrell yet. He could have went the baseball route and he was there for the dream season.

Reaction Score
This one's easy - Fishy and Tom. If there wasn't BY no kids would be interested in UConn.

Can't believe I had to say this first

Reaction Score
Chris Smith
It wasn't just about opening a CT floodgate it was opening national gates. You have to remember back to when the perception of UConn was an in-state safety school, a suitcase school that large portions left on weekends and a 2nd class citizen in the Big East. So smart and talented kids from Connecticut who had the opportunity to go elsewhere would take it. That sent a message to the rest of the country, if UConn wasn't good enough for its own state's best, how could it possibly be good enough for them!? Chris Smith choosing UConn changed that perception and reality and that is why he is the most important recruit.

Reaction Score
I have to vote for KEA. He came in saying that JC needed a championship and that he (KEA) was going to deliver it. Then he, Rip, Ricky and others brought it home. Without '99, I'm not sure we get Mack today or Stone next week.

Reaction Score
Gotta go with Ray. No one has had the staying power or impact of him post-UConn and having recruits walking by pictures of him during his UConn days is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom