Most Hated Husky by Opponents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most Hated Husky by Opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As an opposing fan, Diana T was actually my favorite UCONN player.

Most hated Husky..... hands down it has to be Doty.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
As an opposing fan, Diana T was actually my favorite UCONN player.
rd
Most hated Husky..... hands down it has to be Doty.
Why would anyone hate Caroline Doty? She wasn't a showboat and didn't have an attitude and after she tore her ACL for the 3rd time in 5 years, she wasn't even the same player she was when she came to UConn. Injuries robbed her of a great individual career, but she still won 2 titles. This is one I just can't fathom.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think Diana. I don't think there is a close second among Tennessee fans. I do have a question. Which Tennessee player is most disliked among Husky fans?

This is going to sound weird but I *hated* Kelly Jolly. HATED. She just made shot and players she no right making (in my mind).

I also hated Chamique. The rest of the Lady Vols stars was a grudging respect-thing for me.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I say No. 1 was DT.and I don't think there is a second place. But if there was a second place , or 1A , it would have had to be DT. Or did I already say that?

Agreed...on both accounts. It was impossible to contain Diana's joie de basketball, her exuberance and ability to jam with the press often at the expense of the opposition (I wanted to hit something orange, etc) must have been a thorn in their side.

Looking back, even Geno had his moments with here in this article:
Once Taurasi got to Storrs, it took a while to smooth out her relationship with Auriemma. As a freshman, "he wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't play me," she remembered. Admittedly, the outspoken coach was a bit perplexed by Taurasi's bravado. "There is something refreshing about that, but there is also something very disturbing about that," Auriemma said. "You want kids that have a personality, but you also want to them to use common sense sometimes."

And my favorite, although I cannot find a quote was I believe from one of the Geno Auriemma Shows from way back when where he is talking with Meghan about Diana and her on court antics, and he says something about her tongue hanging out of the mouth smirks after she drains a big shot and "yeah - if I were the opposing team, I would want to smack her"

Diana was must see TV and she got butts in the seats. If I were an opponant, I would just..grrrrr...yep, for my money, through the years it's Diana

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OK, one more Dee clip. This is more recent, and probably my favorite because it makes me laugh so hard.

She is irreverent, sassy, a smart a s s and the best damn ball player in the world.

No, I am not biased :p

Reaction Score
I think Parker was UCONN's most hated TN player, but not anything like TN hated DT. I was at the Knoxville game Diana's junior year (the "mooing") game). TN was really beating her up physically -away from the ball - in a really vicious and mean way - and the homer refs were letting them. She would just hop right back up after getting clotheslined and bury another 3. The fans couldn't handle it and were shouting stuff like "horse face", and Italian ethnic slurs (Geno got these too). It was ugly - really ugly. DT just rose above, and used her skills to get the win.

Reaction Score
So... no one's gonna say DT? ;) I guess if my opponent had a player that hit half court shots like she's shooting free throws, and could make overhead backward no look touch passes look so easy, I'd dislike that player too.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Opponents fans hated DT for the same reason a lot of UConn fans hated (too strong a word) Cappie and SkyDigg. No one likes to have their butt kicked, and Cappie and Skylar had the bad habit of kicking ours, DT of kicking everyone else's.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
elzorrogris said:
Opponents fans hated DT for the same reason a lot of UConn fans hated (too strong a word) Cappie and SkyDigg. No one likes to have their butt kicked, and Cappie and Skylar had the bad habit of kicking ours, DT of kicking everyone else's.

I'd like to think that Diana is more than several levels above Cappie and Diggins.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
I think Parker was UCONN's most hated TN player, but not anything like TN hated DT. I was at the Knoxville game Diana's junior year (the "mooing") game). TN was really beating her up physically -away from the ball - in a really vicious and mean way - and the homer refs were letting them. She would just hop right back up after getting clotheslined and bury another 3. The fans couldn't handle it and were shouting stuff like "horse face", and Italian ethnic slurs (Geno got these too). It was ugly - really ugly. DT just rose above, and used her skills to get the win.

Those last two years junior and senior year for Diana she just took a beating but it was as you said got right up and drain the three for all her smart aleck ways she was a much better person than some of these people who are hurling insults.

I don't think we had another player who raised such ire in others and hence that's why she is my choice for both favorite player and most hated by opponents. Everything they dished out she took, and then she set a bar of excellence that no one could climb over

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UT:

Didn't like Kara Lawson at all when she was a player at TN. All good now. As long as she doesn't wear orange.

I hated Semeka Randall, but I really wanted her on our team. For some weird reason, I've always wanted her to be a Husky.

Someone mentioned Kelly Jolly. I didn't like her either.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Nah, cause Maya and others kicked innumerable butts. It was the way they carried themselves. All three very differently though.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'd like to think that Diana is more than several levels above Cappie and Diggins.

Of course. That is why she was hated more than they were. And much more universally. But the basic reasons were the same. I think Maya got a pass because she was such a well-comported assassin. We didn't hate Angel for her attitude because she did not kick our butt. (Although she certainly tried!)

Reaction Score
Of course. That is why she was hated more than they were. And much more universally. But the basic reasons were the same. I think Maya got a pass because she was such a well-comported assassin. We didn't hate Angel for her attitude because she did not kick our butt. (Although she certainly tried!)
I didn't hate Angel, but I DID "dislike" her for her attitude. So did her teammates.

Reaction Score
What's not to hate?

upload_2014-9-8_21-27-53.png

Reaction Score
My wife, daughter and I rode the Lady Vols fan club bus to that game from Jackson TN, where we were living at the time. Lotsa trash talk on the way there, pretty quiet going home! Loved it!!!

Reaction Score
I think Diana. I don't think there is a close second among Tennessee fans. I do have a question. Which Tennessee player is most disliked among Husky fans?
At one time I would have said Parker because she was just that good (which was bad for UConn), but after that championship game performance where she came back after separating her shoulder, I just have so much admiration for her. She can be on my team anytime she wants.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I guess I have a different definition of the word hate. I can't think of any reason why an adult could "hate" an opponent.
Why hate a player simply because they're good?

I do have a handful of dislikes though ;). Pondexter , Ajavon and Prince come immediately to mind.

Reaction Score
For other teams it has to be Diana Taurasi. Two things against her- she's a tremendous player who is also a tremendous pain in the ass. If I was a Husky opponent I'd hate her guts.

I've never liked anyone who wore Tennessee orange. For me Tennessee was the equal of the Montreal Canadiens & New York Yankees in terms of personal loathing back in the day. Notre Dame is fast gaining on them though :D

Reaction Score
I vote for Ms. Pulido. When she comes in the game is over. Kinda, "in your face."
NOT her fault tho...

Reaction Score
I guess I have a different definition of the word hate. I can't think of any reason why an adult could "hate" an opponent.
Why hate a player simply because they're good?

I do have a handful of dislikes though ;). Pondexter , Ajavon and Prince come immediately to mind.
Made in CViv's image :mad:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
At one time I would have said Parker because she was just that good (which was bad for UConn), but after that championship game performance where she came back after separating her shoulder, I just have so much admiration for her. She can be on my team anytime she wants.
That was some effort she put. Not only in the Championship game. Also the Semi final game vs LSU. I sure that shoulder was really hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom