OT: - Most difficult thing in sports | The Boneyard

OT: Most difficult thing in sports

Reaction Score
I would say Curling. Can't imagine there is anything harder than sweeping that broom at the exact precise speed needed to move the appropriate shaves of ice out of the way for the stone to maintain the precise speed needed. You have to hand it to them.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yes hitting a baseball is by far the hardest thing to do in sports. What’re your thoughts on the 2nd hardest thing to do? Hitting a golf ball? Playing QB/DB? Goal keeping?

Reaction Score
I always find these arguments stupid. What's hardest is dependent on the individual person and their skill set. A 300 lb. NFL right guard with no eye hand coordination would find it more difficult to hit a baseball than to block an NFL d-lineman. A 180 lb. MLB player would find hitting a baseball easier than blocking an NFL d-lineman.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't think there anything harder than hitting a baseball. Interested in hearing what others think

Depends what you mean by 'thing'. And what you mean by 'hardest'. There's a million difficult things to do in sports.

Tackling Gronk is hard.

Reaction Score
MLB players are basically super human. The combo of vision, hand-eye, reaction time, quick twitch. MIND BLOWING. It’s not just hitting a 95 mph fastball. It’s hitting a ball that’s 85 mph and dropping 5 feet in 1/1000 of a second.
wow that's amazing. For something to move 5 feet in 1/1000 of a second it would be moving at 3409 mph.

Reaction Score
wow that's amazing. For something to move 5 feet in 1/1000 of a second it would be moving at 3409 mph.

I'm assuming you didn't watch video in OP. These guys are gearing up for fastball that isn't even moving in a straight line then pitcher can throw change up, curveball, slider, etc and they literally have no chance unless they guessed it to begin with.

Not to mention hitting it fair and making contact/ fouling off are 2 different things

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you didn't watch video in OP. These guys are gearing up for fastball that isn't even moving in a straight line then pitcher can throw change up, curveball, slider, etc and they literally have no chance unless they guessed it to begin with.

Not to mention hitting it fair and making contact/ fouling off are 2 different things
I don't watch any baseball. I know he was exaggerating I just having fun and did a quick calculation and posted more out of fun.

Reaction Score
Yes hitting a baseball is by far the hardest thing to do in sports. What’re your thoughts on the 2nd hardest thing to do? Hitting a golf ball? Playing QB/DB? Goal keeping?

Hitting a baseball definitely requires the most hand eye coordination but playing QB at a high level requires an amount of processing and awareness I can't imagine. There are a lot fewer good quarterbacks than good _________.

Reaction Score
Taking a punch is pretty difficult. Few can do it and keep fighting.

But I think the most difficult thing in all of sports is riding a mountain stage in the Tour De France. Climbing four or five mountains and decsenting at 50 MPH would kill (or severely injure) many major league baseball players, some would die. And none would finish within elimination time.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Actually I think my decimal point is off by one place. I did it quickly in my head, It should be 340.9. Sorry I must be losing my edge in retirement.
You were right the first time. 3409mph.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Hitting a baseball definitely requires the most hand eye coordination but playing QB at a high level requires an amount of processing and awareness I can't imagine. There are a lot fewer good quarterbacks than good _________.
A few years ago I would have been onboard with this, I definitely think that playing QB requires unreal smarts it’s like a high level violent game of chess, but because of the rules changes and the prevalence of the short pass I think it’s become easier to be a serviceable QB than it is to be a serviceable CB. The rules are now so heavily stacked against the DBs it’s become so hard to play the position.

I’m leaning towards playing goalie in Hockey as the second hardest thing to do. It requires a similar skill set as being a good hitter.

Reaction Score
You were right the first time. 3409mph.
Thanks, I just realized the second time around for some reason I used 360 seconds in an hour rather than 3600.

Reaction Score
Taking a punch is pretty difficult. Few can do it and keep fighting.

But I think the most difficult thing in all of sports is riding a mountain stage in the Tour De France. Climbing four or five mountains and decsenting at 50 MPH would kill (or severely injure) many major league baseball players, some would die. And none would finish within elimination time.

And not one of those bikers could hit a fastball.

Reaction Score
A few years ago I would have been onboard with this, I definitely think that playing QB requires unreal smarts it’s like a high level violent game of chess, but because of the rules changes and the prevalence of the short pass I think it’s become easier to be a serviceable QB than it is to be a serviceable CB. The rules are now so heavily stacked against the DBs it’s become so hard to play the position.

I’m leaning towards playing goalie in Hockey as the second hardest thing to do. It requires a similar skill set as being a good hitter.

Goalies always amazed me I agree. Also agree with the QB thing. When they get the replay camera behind the QB at field level and you see what they look at while making a decision it’s amazing. But as a baseball guy hitting a hard throwing pitchers who can change speeds and throw a good deuce isn’t very easy either.

Reaction Score

Good points. I still think there are very few legitimately good QBs but we are certainly seeing a lot more serviceable guys.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks, I just realized the second time around for some reason I used 360 seconds in an hour rather than 3600.
You did it the hard way - I just googled '5000 feet per second to mph'.

Reaction Score
I think the two hardest jobs in all of sports is playing catcher and quarterback.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do, but playing those two positions is grueling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Trying to get players to care who really don’t - that is by far the most difficult thing to do in sports.

Reaction Score
I think the two hardest jobs in all of sports in playing catcher and quarterback.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do, but playing those two positions is grueling.

Catching is probably an underrated one. When I was 15 I used to catch for a private pitching coach and on a few occasions I had to catch for a journey man MLBer and it was terrifying. The ball was almost invisible.

Reaction Score
Only thing to me that comes close is maybe a hockey move. Round puck with a curved flat surface on ice and ice skates. Has to be up there. Baseball is a split second decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom