More Upsets, and Counting [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More Upsets, and Counting [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just watched the best game of the day. Seton Hall vs Creighton. The Hall pulls out a 1 point win with 2.1 seconds left 66-65. Wow!!! Numerous lead changes in the 4th quarter.

Mya Bembry hit the game winning shot, but Lauren Park-Lane was the game MVP. The Hall does not win that game without her production and floor leadership. A tip o’ the turban to Park-Lane and her teammates, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. :) Watching this game, it was easy to see how and why she led the conference in assists.
Addendum: I forgot to mention what a pleasure it was to listen to Hall of Fame retired Villanova wbb coach Harry Perreta do the color analysis of the game. The man knows his basketball. He explained what was going on, what should have happend, and what the goal of the team with the ball should be (besides scoring) during a particular possession. All this and what the two coaches were thinking.

He was extremely impressed with Lauren Park-Lane, as were most who watched the game. The smallest person on the court had the biggest impact on the game. Who gave Bembry the ball for a wide open shot to put the Hall ahead by 1 with 2 seconds left? Park-Lane.

Not only was the game entertaining, it was educational too. We look at games from a fan’s point of view. He was explaining the game from a coach’s point of view. I hope he calls our game today.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Of course. However, they could fall to number three overall, depending on what Stanford does today.
Yeah, I'll be interested to see what the committee does if Stanford wins today. I would still probably pick SCAR over Stanford for overall #1 seed, but it's weird to be the overall #1 when you aren't even your conference's auto-bid.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Great slate of games today. When I saw what a low scoring affair the game was I felt SC was in trouble. Kentucky kept it close and made it a grind. Wow what a weekend. Now on to the Big Ten game. So exciting!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'll be interested to see what the committee does if Stanford wins today. I would still probably pick SCAR over Stanford for overall #1 seed, but it's weird to be the overall #1 when you aren't even your conference's auto-bid.
Unusual but it's happened before. Somewhere on this board recently the subject of the 2001 tournament seedings came up. Apparently Tennessee was the overall #1 seed that year, after they'd gone 29-2 and 14-0 SEC, but they lost in the semis of the conference tournament to Vanderbilt. I have a feeling the same thing probably happened another time or two with Tennessee.

Reaction Score
#4 Louisville loses to Miami
#6 LSU loses to Kentucky
#10 Michigan loses to Nebraska
#11 Maryland loses to #14 Indiana
#13 OSU loses to #14 Indiana
#14 AZ loses to Colorado
#16 NC loses to #21 VA Tech
#18 Tenn loses to Kentucky
#19 Okla loses to Kansas
#20 ND loses to Miami
#23 Fla loses to Ole Miss
#24 GA loses to Alabama
#1 SC loses to Kentucky

Pretty, pretty, pretty … amazing.

Reaction Score
Should a team that doesn't receive an automatic bid be a number 1 seed?
To me, it comes down to, what do the seedlings mean. Do they mean the teams with the best body of work for the entire season. Then of course SC is a 1, maybe still the overall 1. In that case, UConn is about what they are projected, 2 or 3. Do they mean, some sort of projection that tries to insure the best matchups throughout the tourney. In that case SC is still a 1 and UConn moves up, based on recent play and extenuating circumstances.
If the NCAA wants greater emphasis on conference tourneys, then they do what you suggest, rewarding the winner with the higher seeding position. Frankly IMO, with a 64 team tournament, why are conference tournaments necessary? Like Geno said, reward the winner of the league over 3 months.

Reaction Score
Unusual but it's happened before. Somewhere on this board recently the subject of the 2001 tournament seedings came up. Apparently Tennessee was the overall #1 seed that year, after they'd gone 29-2 and 14-0 SEC, but they lost in the semis of the conference tournament to Vanderbilt. I have a feeling the same thing probably happened another time or two with Tennessee.
One of the ten losses of the 1996-97 Tennessee team was to Auburn in the SEC conference tournament final.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Addendum: I forgot to mention what a pleasure it was to listen to Hall of Fame retired Villanova wbb coach Harry Perreta do the color analysis of the game. The man knows his basketball. He explained what was going on, what should have happend, and what the goal of the team with the ball should be (besides scoring) during a particular possession. All this and what the two coaches were thinking.

He was extremely impressed with Lauren Park-Lane, as were most who watched the game. The smallest person on the court had the biggest impact on the game. Who gave Bembry the ball for a wide open shot to put the Hall ahead by 1 with 2 seconds left? Park-Lane.

Not only was the game entertaining, it was educational too. We look at games from a fan’s point of view. He was explaining the game from a coach’s point of view. I hope he calls our game today.
I take it you feel he's better than Debbie Antonelli coaching from the booth? :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Content noted.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I take it you feel he's better than Debbie Antonelli coaching from the booth? :cool:
Hi Gus. Yes. Others may not like his style of commenting on games, I do. I can only speak for myself. Some play by play announcers are preferred over others. The same applies to color analysts. I like Doris Burke and Kara Lawson too. :) I’ll be watching the Villanova-Seton Hall game.
Later today. I hope he’s doing that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom