More smoke about Turtle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More smoke about Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People sure are quick to wash their hands of someone

It's not so much washing my hands of him; just that if he doesn't want to be here then fine, bring in a guy who does.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's not so much washing my hands of him; just that if he doesn't want to be here then fine, bring in a guy who does.
OK, but we're going off rumors still. People will change course quick if this all turns out to be nothing.

Reaction Score
I think a good rule of thumb with recruiting is never to get attached to these guys before they make it to Storrs.

The last time I was at all emotional about recruiting was before the 2010-11 season, when UConn missed out on the supposed "big four" guards they were after. Obviously, things turned out just fine.

Reaction Score
This, combined with the now-deleted thread about what Ricky Moore said, means to me we're past the rumor stage.

Curious about the prior injury to a Turtle people are discussing. First I've heard of it.

What did Ricky say?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Apparently "no longer bound to UConn" in Georgia means "verbally committed to UConn."

Silly how the education system changes when you go south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

I really didn't follow this post. The article discussed how he did or was going to decommit.

Reaction Score
Good, let him decommit and then give us Stone+Newman and Derrick Jones

Reaction Score
Good, let him decommit and then give us Stone+Newman and Derrick Jones

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What did Ricky say?

It was hearsay. Which is why the thread got deleted. Doubt Ricky wanted it public. That said, it wasn't anything huge anyway. Just pay attention to the rumors on the web.

Reaction Score
If Turtle de-commits and we strike it rich with Newman, Brunson, Briscoe, or someone in that echelon, fantastic.

If Turtle de-commits, we whiff on Plan A, B, and C, and end up with the 2015 equivalent of Jamaal Trice, not so good.

If Ollie's really as hot a commodity on the recruiting trail as we've been hearing (and as was evidenced by the Adams commitment), it's more likely to be the former (good) outcome.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If Turtle de-commits and we strike it rich with Newman, Brunson, Briscoe, or someone in that echelon, fantastic.

If Turtle de-commits, we whiff on Plan A, B, and C, and end up with the 2015 equivalent of Jamaal Trice, not so good.

If Ollie's really as hot a commodity on the recruiting trail as we've been hearing (and as was evidenced by the Adams commitment), it's more likely to be the former (good) outcome.
He already landed Jalen Adams. Given the way Jackson sank in the rankings due to his play recently, I'm not sure he was a better "plan" than kids we already have (Samuel, Cassell, Adams, Purvis)... No offense to Jackson, but maybe he felt UCONN was recruiting over him and he didn't like what he saw on the horizon...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
good, should help us land another top 50 guard for 15 or 16 who is proven against elite competition.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Agree KO has a lot going for him and as you know I pushed for him from day 1. Just keep in mind recruiting has diverse outcomes; guys select a school for many different reasons. UConn has a great deal going for it but other schools also appeal to recruits for various reasons.
I have noticed that many new posters to this board point of reference is 2 National Championships in 4 years and understandably that's the prism you view the World through. I remember an informal scrimmage the spring before Calhoun's first season. They had so few players another guy and myself participated. Quite frankly, with a few notable exceptions the talent did not jump out at you - many of the guys you could defend pretty good.
I know it's popular now by some posters to belittle Calhoun's accomplishments and recruiting but quite frankly if more of you understood where he started from, you would appreciate him a little more. KO started with all the challenges that have been well chronicled but so much more was in place than when Calhoun started.
Having said that, KO has obviously done an A+ job and deserves every cent he has made. I expected a great deal from him and he exceeded that.

I love this. You were Ollie's biggest supporter and people here belittle Coach Calhoun. What color is the sky in your world?

C

Chief00

Actually there was a media narrative how KO had to clean up JCs mess. In fact, there were things he did need to clean-up but unless you were there in 1986 you just wouldn't fully appreciate what JC did.

Reaction Score

By all accounts Adams has always wanted to play for Uconn, according to interviews I have read. While the coach still has to recruit and get the kid to believe in what he's selling, once Uconn came calling he knew where he wanted to be.

Reaction Score
The only thing I am skeptical is not hearing from other sources about this decommit. Usually Kline or Zagoria are on top of this. But I am fine with Jackson leaving his ranking has plummeted as of late.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There's no such thing as a can't-miss player. Whether we're better off with Plan A or Plan C will really only be clear in retrospect. Unless you think, say, Neils Giffey was our Plan A.

Reaction Score
It's NAUSEATING to hear posters denigrate our location as some sort of huge disadvantage for our coaches. We have heard this for years from Pitino and Bozohiem. It's like we never played BB before 1986. Remember what Al Davis said---- just win baby!!!! Diaco doesn't seem to think our location and academics are a disadvantage.:):):):):)

Reaction Score
Husky1964 said:
It's NAUSEATING to hear posters denigrate our location as some sort of huge disadvantage for our coaches. We have heard this for years from Pitino and Bozohiem. It's like we never played BB before 1986. Remember what Al Davis said---- just win baby!!!! Diaco doesn't seem to think our location and academics are a disadvantage.:):):):):)

We got Nadav in 1989 after he looked at St. John's first. He got to Storrs and said "now dees is what a college should look like" (source: Dare To Dream by Calhoun, Jim)

And that was when the buildings were falling down.

Reaction Score
Husky1964 said:

Our location is a HUGE advantage. It's an easy drive from two metropolises allowing players families to watch games in person. Just look at our great players from NY and Boston over the years. The CT landscape has been good for us. Many of our big city recruits have loved the CT countryside so much that they've made homes there, including one very important one, KO. Acting like Storrs is the middle of nowhere is ridiculous, it's 20 minutes from plenty of stuff, 1.25 hours from one of the greatest American cities and 2.5 hours from the center of the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom