More smoke about Turtle | The Boneyard

More smoke about Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Apparently "no longer bound to UConn" in Georgia means "verbally committed to UConn."

Silly how the education system changes when you go south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Reaction Score
I think at this point its pretty obvious and more than just smoke. to use the Tyler Dorsey situation as a reference, when there are rumors of a decommit, that usually means its already happened or on the verge of happening.

Reaction Score
Georgia is what people have been saying, it's good for everyone involved. It's a good landing place for Turtle since it's home and he'll get good playing time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish him well but I won't have any particular rooting interest for him.

Reaction Score
I will definitely follow Turtle and I have no problem rooting for him. A couple years ago, ESPN called said he had the potential to be the most complete guard in 2015; he was a top 15 prospect, and called the best guard out of Georgia in a decade. Then that injury happened, and it seems to have robbed the world of what would have been an amazing basketball player with NBA star potential. I have deep sympathies for Turtle, and I do think that KO would have been able to refind that potential. I hope we can find out, but that looks very bleak right now.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This ones different
How? All I hear is rumors. They could be true but I'll wait for an official announcement before I assume anything a done deal. And one of the guys who thought Hamilton would end up there

Reaction Score
There is fire along with smoke regarding Turtle and it would be more of a shock if he ended up at UConn at this point. Did I read somewhere that he had a disappointing summer? Anyway, good luck to the young man and I hope he makes the best decision for his future. UConn will be fine at guard either way.

Reaction Score
Even if speculation posters were burning Ali at the stake with similar news. Have posters changed or just aren't enamored with Jackson?

Reaction Score
Even if speculation posters were burning Ali at the stake with similar news. Have posters changed or just aren't enamored with Jackson?
I think the latter.

C

Chief00

My understanding is Jackson will not be at UConn next year. KO is involved with some elites of the elites. Even our plan B and C guys see very good. Of course, he must close the deal.
One thing I have noticed, we tend to close the deal better if a parent attends the visit with the player (Hamilton & Adams). This may be the tail wagging the dog - since the parent is there due to the seriousness of the interest or something else. But in anything, quite frankly, you like to look at when you have been successful or unsuccessful and determine why and correct or reinforce/repeat the model.
I did see some pickup games recently and when I get some time, I will post my observations of the guys I recognized or knew about.

Reaction Score
My understanding is Jackson will not be at UConn next year. KO is involved with some elites of the elites. Even our plan B and C guys see very good. Of course, he must close the deal.
One thing I have noticed, we tend to close the deal better if a parent attends the visit with the player (Hamilton & Adams). This may be the tail wagging the dog - since the parent is there due to the seriousness of the interest or something else. But in anything, quite frankly, you like to look at when you have been successful or unsuccessful and determine why and correct or reinforce/repeat the model.
I did see some pickup games recently and when I get some time, I will post my observations of the guys I recognized or knew about.
Quite frankly, we have a budding superstar in the coaching ranks blossoming in front of our own eyes. For any initial doubter of how KO was selected, it only took about 20 mins at the initial press conference to recognize his special ability to relate to people and motivate them. Then, in two short years, he took a talented but flawed team and developed them into national champions. Throw in endorsements from all types of NBA personnel, including arguably the two best players in the world in Lebron and Durant. The media loves him, his players adore him. Christ, even Geno praises him. To me, it became less of a surprise to hear why Jalen Adams committed right after spending a day on campus with KO and his parents. Its a no brainer. I can't imagine how any good parent would walk away from such a situation and not think how they want their son to play for him. The question has transformed from why would you want to play for UConn to why wouldn't you want to. KO has had that affect and I suspect for as long as he is here, UConn will have a high success rate at getting commitments from their top targets. Again, how can they not? Everything is in place. After all, it only takes spending a short amount of time with our coach.

Reaction Score

Ali has had a huge AAU season thus far. Turtle has done the opposite.

Reaction Score
I will definitely follow Turtle and I have no problem rooting for him. A couple years ago, ESPN called said he had the potential to be the most complete guard in 2015; he was a top 15 prospect, and called the best guard out of Georgia in a decade. Then that injury happened, and it seems to have robbed the world of what would have been an amazing basketball player with NBA star potential. I have deep sympathies for Turtle, and I do think that KO would have been able to refind that potential. I hope we can find out, but that looks very bleak right now.

What injury was that? Also, I now know why people call him turtle, but how did anyone find about that in the first place? Seems like a similar situation to QB Richard Lagow from TX. Although Jackson may never reach campus before changing his mind.

Reaction Score

Agree completely. I think of that highlight clip where he destroyed one of the Harrison twins for what he could have become. It's not fair when it happens before a kid even begins to reap the benefits of his talents and hard work. Reminds me of Hoop Dreams. It sounds like his wasn't to the detriment that won't garner him a scholarship and opportunity to still be something respectable. Best to luck to him as a solid kid who really wanted to be a Husky. I will follow and cheer him on especially since I have Georgia ties.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This, combined with the now-deleted thread about what Ricky Moore said, means to me we're past the rumor stage.

Curious about the prior injury to a Turtle people are discussing. First I've heard of it.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, we have a budding superstar in the coaching ranks blossoming in front of our own eyes. For any initial doubter of how KO was selected, it only took about 20 mins at the initial press conference to recognize his special ability to relate to people and motivate them. Then, in two short years, he took a talented but flawed team and developed them into national champions. Throw in endorsements from all types of NBA personnel, including arguably the two best players in the world in Lebron and Durant. The media loves him, his players adore him. Christ, even Geno praises him. To me, it became less of a surprise to hear why Jalen Adams committed right after spending a day on campus with KO and his parents. Its a no brainer. I can't imagine how any good parent would walk away from such a situation and not think how they want their son to play for him. The question has transformed from why would you want to play for UConn to why wouldn't you want to. KO has had that affect and I suspect for as long as he is here, UConn will have a high success rate at getting commitments from their top targets. Again, how can they not? Everything is in place. After all, it only takes spending a short amount of time with our coach.

Agree KO has a lot going for him and as you know I pushed for him from day 1. Just keep in mind recruiting has diverse outcomes; guys select a school for many different reasons. UConn has a great deal going for it but other schools also appeal to recruits for various reasons.
I have noticed that many new posters to this board point of reference is 2 National Championships in 4 years and understandably that's the prism you view the World through. I remember an informal scrimmage the spring before Calhoun's first season. They had so few players another guy and myself participated. Quite frankly, with a few notable exceptions the talent did not jump out at you - many of the guys you could defend pretty good.
I know it's popular now by some posters to belittle Calhoun's accomplishments and recruiting but quite frankly if more of you understood where he started from, you would appreciate him a little more. KO started with all the challenges that have been well chronicled but so much more was in place than when Calhoun started.
Having said that, KO has obviously done an A+ job and deserves every cent he has made. I expected a great deal from him and he exceeded that.

Reaction Score
Both Ali and Jackson committed before the NC. Just speculating here, but I think KO's recruiting strategy changed after the tournament thus all the recent commits/decommits. In the end it's going to work out for everyone.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Both Ali and Jackson committed before the NC. Just speculating here, but I think KO's recruiting strategy changed after the tournament thus all the recent commits/decommits. In the end it's going to work out for everyone.
Agree - he's targeting higher profile recruits and recruits in key pipeline states. Plus I never thought Turtle was that good anyways - he'd be better off at a SEC school and closer to home.

Reaction Score
Turtle Jackson has been high ranked for a long time. How could Ollie be targeting someone higher? Makes no sense. Jackson wad higher ranked than Jalen Adams. I know people make too much of youtube videos, but watch Jackson play as a Soph. and you might be surprised at how good this kid used to be.

Reaction Score
Agree KO has a lot going for him and as you know I pushed for him from day 1. Just keep in mind recruiting has diverse outcomes; guys select a school for many different reasons. UConn has a great deal going for it but other schools also appeal to recruits for various reasons.
I have noticed that many new posters to this board point of reference is 2 National Championships in 4 years and understandably that's the prism you view the World through. I remember an informal scrimmage the spring before Calhoun's first season. They had so few players another guy and myself participated. Quite frankly, with a few notable exceptions the talent did not jump out at you - many of the guys you could defend pretty good.
I know it's popular now by some posters to belittle Calhoun's accomplishments and recruiting but quite frankly if more of you understood where he started from, you would appreciate him a little more. KO started with all the challenges that have been well chronicled but so much more was in place than when Calhoun started.
Having said that, KO has obviously done an A+ job and deserves every cent he has made. I expected a great deal from him and he exceeded that.
In no way was I comparing the two coaches. In my opinion, its hard to envision anyone being a fan of uconn basketball without regarding Calhoun as a living legend. Its been said many times that what he built in Storrs could very easily be the best job done by any coach in collegiate sports becuase of where Storrs is and like you said what was in place before he started. I also think its ok to say that KOs ability to relate to today's kid is an undeniable strength that very few coaches have. Coach Calhon was old school and we loved him for it. KO is new school and we love him for it.

Reaction Score
Turtle Jackson has been high ranked for a long time. How could Ollie be targeting someone higher? Makes no sense. Jackson wad higher ranked than Jalen Adams. I know people make too much of youtube videos, but watch Jackson play as a Soph. and you might be surprised at how good this kid used to be.

Jalen Adams will be ranked significantly higher than Turtle from here on out. Turtle has not played well recently. This has all the makings of a mutual parting of ways.

Reaction Score
Ollie is involved with a bunch of players who are better than Turtle. I think the coaches and Turtle have sat down and agreed that Turtle's best chance for playing time is somewhere else. He's a good kid and a great student, I'm happy he will be going somewhere there is a path to significant playing time for him, UConn isn't that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom