More National Disrespect: Amida Brimah | The Boneyard

More National Disrespect: Amida Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
13350bulletin_board.jpg

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If he could just rebound he'd be one of the best players in the entire country this year. I really hope he figures that out because rebounding could make or break his career.

Reaction Score
Good to see some of the national media stepping forward and defending Brimah, though. That was a bit unexpected.

I'm not surprised. That's a pretty egregious error, and he's been in the national spotlight since his freshman year. I figured Brimah was probably the best bet to show up on one of these.

D

Deleted member 3149

"He cares so much about that MVP," Napier was quoted as saying. "I don't care about that. Those guys believe he won it? He can have it. I don't care," he said, laughing, when asked about the American Athletic Conference awards. "I'm not into individual awards, you all know that. I'm invested in trying to win a national championship."

Reaction Score
Did Labissier's status change? They may want to hold off including him to see if he's even going to play.

Reaction Score
Did Labissier's status change? They may want to hold off including him to see if he's even going to play.

There's almost no chance he won't play at all... it's just a matter of whether he received impermissible benefits, and how much. He's not going to be ruled a professional.

Reaction Score
Skal and Cheik Diallo may not even qualify to play. Not sure how they could be included.

Reaction Score
He's not on the list of some BYers either if I recollect

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
From Borges' blog, just as baffled here. Adds to the no respect card and the freshman who have yet to play yet (or will never play cough skal cough).

Friday, October 16, 2015

Amida Brimah not named to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award watch list

No doubt, Amida Brimah needs to improve this season on rebounding and cutting down silly fouls. UConn could use a little more offense out of the 7-foot junior center, as well.

But he has been one of the top shot-blockers in the nation the past two seasons, not to mention the AAC's defensive player of the year. That's got to warrant him some consideration as one of the better centers in college hoops, no?

Well, apparently, no. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced its 20-player watch list for the 2015 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year award, and Brimah's name isn't on it. You can't tell me he's not one of the top 20 centers in the nation.

There are numerous freshmen on the list, however, including Diamond Stone (who chose Maryland over UConn) and Skal Labissiere, who's not even eligible to play yet at Kentucky.

Meanwhile, Sterling Gibbs didn't make the watch list for the Bob Cousy award for top point guards. The only Huskies who made watch lists were Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis -- both for the Julius Erving award for small forwards. Isn't Purvis a two-guard?

Ultimately, none of this is a big deal. It's just one watch list out of numerous preseason lists and awards, and it's all just opinion. But these are the type of things that could motivate UConn, which seems to be flying under the radar a bit at the start of this season and may be able to play the "disrespect" card.

Reaction Score
The way AB finished last season I'm not surprised. He has to improve if he wants to get the minutes with KO. We never been a team with a dominant center besides maybe EO but we need at least some resemblance of of rebounder down low to go with his shot blocking. I think people forget that PN was outplaying AB the last few games for UCONN down the line. He has gained weight but lets see if they translates into not being pushed around by smaller players so easily.

Reaction Score
Until AB shows that he has filled in the holes in his game he will get little respect based on his shot blocking alone. He does run the floor like a deer and will be on the end of Hamilton's alleys so he will score plenty at times, and he was starting to show some moves down low. Anxious to see what his summer workouts have done, but if he doesn't rebound at his size his NBA value is limited. As far as PT, and as long as he doesn't foul he gets the minutes, unless Enoch is a huge surprise.

Reaction Score
Again, not a big believer in freshman getting their due until they prove something. But in all reality I don't know all that much about Hawkinson and Bolomboy so I can't compare him to them. Let's be honest here he's still very raw in so many ways, we know he can block shots and run the courts as mentioned above but until the whole thing comes together it's not realistic he's not on this list. It's unrealistic that some are on here instead of him, but he has a long way to go and we're all hoping he proves us and the otherwise.

Reaction Score
Does being left off these watch lists preclude a player from winning the award? I imagine he'll play himself into the late season list?

Has a player left off the preseason list ever won one of these awards?

Reaction Score
Away from the unproven freshman all listed centers have better scoring and rebounding stats. Being excluded from that list should and hopefully ignite Brimah to have a great year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom