More insight into Azura's plans at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More insight into Azura's plans at UConn

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Tuck at the beginning of her last year with UConn swearing up and down that she was going to stay her full eligibility and work towards her masters? You just never know until that time comes to make the decision.

UConn forward Morgan Tuck doesn't plan on declaring for WNBA draft after season

Staley said she was surprised when Allisha Gray declared early.

McGraw was very surprised when Loyd declared early (went so far as to call Loyd "crazy"). Especially unusual case for Loyd since she was a three year junior.

Zahui declared early with two years eligibility remaining.

So you never know.... crazier things have definitely happened no matter what the player says early on.
Yes. "My plan is to stay" is a long way from "swearing up and down." "My plan is to stay" is a total hedge, and could have been recognized as such a mile away. We all really want Z to stay, and I do believe she is planning to. But we have no idea, an she has no idea, what will be going on in her life and her mind 6 months from now. I'm just going to enjoy her now while she's here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"I enjoy building friendships and I'm building relationships that I'm sure will last the three years that I'll be here". That's the kind of talk I want to hear!!! That's my girl!! She left out two words at the end of this sentence......"and beyond":):D:p

I thought that too. I imagine many UConn friendships will extend to the WNBA and the multiple All-Star games they will participate in. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Right, the sample size is about 20 minutes :). But I completely agree that she could be an extremely attractive draft prospect as a freakish player. OTOH, there is no substitute for someone who can do the hard work of muscling underneath while being fluid enough to work at around 10' out: those are the hardest players to find.

Similarities to Jonquel Jones? Who has the most muscle?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What comes through to me in that interview is a confirmation of the vibe I started to get from her a year and a half ago when she announced her transfer. She is a very well spoken and composed person. Geno suggests her weakness is that she may be too nice. That may be so. I suspect that with her gifts she can take over any game against any opponent. On this team she does not have to, but that is a game I'd really like to see.

Reaction Score
.... One thing in our favor is that the Duke experience was so negative for her ....

Can you cite where SHE ever indicated her experience at Duke was so negative? I haven't seen anywhere that she indicated such. Unless SHE specifically indicated it, please don't attribute it to her.

Reaction Score
I don't know Azura or her situation but the comparisons to Morgan Tuck leaving early are off base. Morgan came in with Moriah and Stewie. They were classmates. The best class ever. They were going for 4 national titles , a historical feat. There was literally nothing else for Morgan to accomplish as a college player. There is plenty for Azura to accomplish.

Reaction Score
Can you cite where SHE ever indicated her experience at Duke was so negative? I haven't seen anywhere that she indicated such. Unless SHE specifically indicated it, please don't attribute it to her.
"I was just looking for a place that would help me to grow and push me to further limits. Just an environment that was not as negative. I don't want to say toxic, but my sophomore year [at Duke] was really, really hard."

Stevens immediately makes UConn even better

Reaction Score
I love the comment but I suspect you’ll get a debate from BY’ers who might suggest either Williams/Jones/Cash or Dolson/Stewie/Tuck to name a few fairly decent Husky front courts.
fair enough but the only full year Dolson/Stewie and Tuck played together they averaged 33.8 ppt and 16.9rpg.
Last year KLS/Gabby and Phee averaged 54.9 ppt and 21.4rpg...while those stats don't tell the whole story they do mean something....my speculation about the KLS/Phee/Z front court being potentially the best ever assumes continued grow in KLS's and Phee's game and that Z will be remembered as a great basketball player(and teammate)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"I was just looking for a place that would help me to grow and push me to further limits. Just an environment that was not as negative. I don't want to say toxic, but my sophomore year [at Duke] was really, really hard."

Azurá Stevens

" But it was just really hard sophomore year, playing in environment where I felt like a lot of people just didn't want to be there and weren't really into it. ... It kind of wore me down."

Stevens immediately makes UConn even better

I'd say this qualifies. Wouldn't you?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Z stays for next year, she has a chance to be part of what may be the best front court in WCB history. KLS, Phee and Z...other than KLS, Phee and Gabby, not sure there is any front court that is even in the argument .
That is a great front court, but we’ve had others.

The best defensive front court I’ve ever seen was Dolson, Stokes, and Stewart. When Kiah came in off the bench, the opposition often got a shot blocked or a poor shot, followed by a rebound, outlet pass, and fast break the other way. We had 3 shot blockers out there.

One of the best on offense was Dolson, Stewart, and Mosqueda-Lewis. Stef had the great hands, footwork, and shooting touch. Stewie had the 3-pointer, jump hook, etc. Kaleena had the perfect ball rotation and a record 398 treys. Firepower from everywhere.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Morgan’s situation changed over her final season. For me, there were 2 factors: (1) the injury and missed games in midseason, on top of prior injuries, made Morgan concerned about her ability to play in the WNBA, which was her lifetime dream; and (2) as the season progressed, it seemed that Morgan could be named an All-American and get her name on the wall, and her draft status jumped to the point that a 1-2-3 sweep with her close friends and teammates looked possible.

Azura’s situation is different from Morgan’s.

Reaction Score
Yes. "My plan is to stay" is a long way from "swearing up and down." "My plan is to stay" is a total hedge, and could have been recognized as such a mile away. We all really want Z to stay, and I do believe she is planning to. But we have no idea, an she has no idea, what will be going on in her life and her mind 6 months from now. I'm just going to enjoy her now while she's here.
ik

Like Tuck: Z shall stay if she does not have a better choice, if team chemistry is such that team loyalty means more than instantaneous fame and money--should that ugly serpent hiss in my beer--I shall understand but will also think the sky is falling (again).

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Tuck at the beginning of her last year with UConn swearing up and down that she was going to stay her full eligibility and work towards her masters? You just never know until that time comes to make the decision.

UConn forward Morgan Tuck doesn't plan on declaring for WNBA draft after season

Staley said she was surprised when Allisha Gray declared early.

McGraw was very surprised when Loyd declared early (went so far as to call Loyd "crazy"). Especially unusual case for Loyd since she was a three year junior.

Zahui declared early with two years eligibility remaining.

So you never know.... crazier things have definitely happened no matter what the player says early on.
Morgan won 4 NCs, won 24 NCAA Tournament games without a loss and gets to share that with Moriah and Breanna! With her Knee problems and sitting out 2 weeks before the SC game her window to earn money was narrowed down. She ended up missing most of her WNBA Rookie season and not playing overseas and I would bet Geno talked it over with her and also her parents and made the right choice. Why anyone would leave early for the W just doesnt make sense. It cant be the money from the WNBA! If Azura decides to stay for her RS SR. year that would be great for Uconn! If she has an AA season this year with a NC and decides to leave that would be great too! If I was a GM I probably would take Azura because she could play 4 spots on the floor and there would be no one like her in the draft!

Reaction Score
Ademec had an interview with Azura which covered many interesting things.

Five questions with UConn's Azura Stevens

What should make the BY happy is this little blurb

4. What do you want to add to this new team on and off the court?

"On the court, I want to add a down-low presence. I want to be someone who owns the paint on offense and on defense. I want to make sure that I do it at both ends, not only scoring but protecting the rim defensively. I want to be another rebounder. Off the court, I want to add my personality, charisma (smiles). I like to have a good time and hang out with people and make them smile. We have a great group of people here that were accepting and welcoming of me. I played against a couple of them my freshman year, so I didn't think that would be a barrier coming in even though I didn't really know many of them well. I enjoy building friendships and I'm building relationships that I'm sure will last the three years that I'll be here."
That's the part I liked.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought that too. I imagine many UConn friendships will extend to the WNBA and the multiple All-Star games they will participate in. :rolleyes:

One more item...................former players always manage to find their way back to campus every now and again i.e., First night, BIG home games against top 10 opponents, senior night and of course NCAA tournament games, regardless of the venue.

There are ALWAYS former players in the stands and behind the bench at UConn home games. Gone but not forgotten. They connect with the current players, and reconnect with the fans. They are still loved and revered by the UConn faithful.....................................as they should be. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
fair enough but the only full year Dolson/Stewie and Tuck played together they averaged 33.8 ppt and 16.9rpg.
Last year KLS/Gabby and Phee averaged 54.9 ppt and 21.4rpg...while those stats don't tell the whole story they do mean something....my speculation about the KLS/Phee/Z front court being potentially the best ever assumes continued grow in KLS's and Phee's game and that Z will be remembered as a great basketball player(and teammate)
That had to be Stewie and Tucks freshmen year because Morgan was out her sophmore year. They also had 3 AAs before them their first 2 years and Faris the 1st year! Last year no AAs until end of year and those 3 stepped up!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

The best defensive front court I’ve ever seen was Dolson, Stokes, and Stewart. When Kiah came in off the bench, the opposition often got a shot blocked or a poor shot, followed by a rebound, outlet pass, and fast break the other way. We had 3 shot blockers out there.

One of the best on offense was Dolson, Stewart, and Mosqueda-Lewis. Stef had the great hands, footwork, and shooting touch. Stewie had the 3-pointer, jump hook, etc. Kaleena had the perfect ball rotation and a record 398 treys. Firepower from everywhere.
As so often happens, I posted after I read the other post and hadn't read yours. My mind went immediately to starters. The Dolson, Stokes, and Stewart combination was one of the more enjoyable things I've ever watched in basketball. Imposing is not a strong enough word.

Reaction Score
I'll nominate Stewie, Kaleena, and Dolson for being in the argument.
They were a great front court. The question posed was whether they were as good as next years front court of Z, Phee and KLS. Their best year was the 13-14 season when they averaged 45.3ppg and 22.8 rpg. Last year Gabby , Phee and KLS were 54.9 ppg and 21.4rpg. The trio will be better this year. And if you want to bring the bench into the discussion, who would you rather have Kiah or Z? From what I've seen, I'd take Z.
So I guess what I'm saying is that this year's team could be the best front court ever particularly if you throw in the bench but next years starting 3 could be even better and probably the best.

Reaction Score

I'll take Tina, Maya and Kalana.

Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with Z so far. In the exhibition games, it was obvious that she was expending a lot of energy, and I was very surprised to see how mobile she is. She can cover a lot of territory and as she works herself into real team play, she's gonna be something to watch.
Agree. And I was also very happy to see how hard the team works to find her and get her the ball in certain situations. That tells me that she is very much an integral part of the team's strategy. I don't think it matters whether she starts or not; she'll get 30+ minutes a game I'm sure, when it matters.
And hopefully, she sees too that you have to start the team's point guard (who looked to me to be way ahead of where Mo was at the start of her 2nd year. Hope I'm right), and that the other four earned the right to start by taking them ever so close to the NC that very few thought was possible at the beginning of last season. If it's important to her that will be a motivating factor in getting her to stay for her final year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom