More insight into Azura's plans at UConn | The Boneyard

More insight into Azura's plans at UConn

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ademec had an interview with Azura which covered many interesting things.

Five questions with UConn's Azura Stevens

What should make the BY happy is this little blurb

4. What do you want to add to this new team on and off the court?

"On the court, I want to add a down-low presence. I want to be someone who owns the paint on offense and on defense. I want to make sure that I do it at both ends, not only scoring but protecting the rim defensively. I want to be another rebounder. Off the court, I want to add my personality, charisma (smiles). I like to have a good time and hang out with people and make them smile. We have a great group of people here that were accepting and welcoming of me. I played against a couple of them my freshman year, so I didn't think that would be a barrier coming in even though I didn't really know many of them well. I enjoy building friendships and I'm building relationships that I'm sure will last the three years that I'll be here."

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Tuck at the beginning of her last year with UConn swearing up and down that she was going to stay her full eligibility and work towards her masters? You just never know until that time comes to make the decision.

“My plan is to stay,” Tuck said. “I can get a master’s degree in a year and that would be pretty beneficial. Right now, I’m planning on staying.”

There is a very good likelihood that the Huskies could end up winning a fourth-straight national championship. Tuck said even if that happens and she receives some individual accolades — her goal is to be a first-team All-American — she’ll still likely stay in Storrs.

“You are going to debate both sides, stay in college or play professionally and get paid. I will debate it, but I have to look at the future and the bigger picture and what I want. Basketball is a short window of your whole life and I think, in the end, I will stay,” Tuck said.
UConn forward Morgan Tuck doesn't plan on declaring for WNBA draft after season

Staley said she was surprised when Allisha Gray declared early.

McGraw was very surprised when Loyd declared early (went so far as to call Loyd "crazy"). Especially unusual case for Loyd since she was a three year junior.

Zahui declared early with two years eligibility remaining.

So you never know.... crazier things have definitely happened no matter what the player says early on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still think it's unlikely she plays a 2nd yr but this is encouraging. One thing in our favor is that the Duke experience was so negative for her she might relish the idea of a 2nd yr at UConn. And arguably it could help her development as a basketball player to get one more year with Geno. OTOH you could argue there's no substitute for playing against pros.

In any case nice to see that there is a chance.

Reaction Score
There are (at least) 2 fantastic take-aways from this:
1. Assuming she feels the same way in April, UConn would be so very, very fortunate to have Z playing for them for 2 years as she will add immeasurably to the team (and certainly be a starter with Gabbie graduating).
2. Whether or not she does feel the same way then, that she feels that way now, goes to how joyous Geno & Co make the challenging tasks he sets before the team. In other words, Z. is obviously very happy, and it's always wonderful seeing someone being happy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Tuck at the beginning of her last year with UConn swearing up and down that she was going to stay her full eligibility and work towards her masters? You just never know until that time comes to make the decision.
You are exactly right. Many things can change between now and the end of the season. But 5 things.
  1. It's not a leap at all to assume that Geno would not have taken her had she said at the outset "I want to come to play only 1 year, try to win a NC, and then leave"
  2. She has now publicly said she intends to stay 2 more years.
  3. It's pretty clear she loves it at UCONN and (without "dissing" Duke) is happier here than she was there
  4. For the foreseeable future, she's not going to be a starter, and I believe the motivation to come back next season, be on the short list for NPOY, and possibly have another 1-2-3 draft, is something she really wants.
  5. I believe she will improve this year, and improve even more next year - meaning she still has much to learn at UCONN to be the best player she can be
Yes things can change, but I choose to forego the doom and gloom thoughts of "only 1 year" and focus on all the reasons we think she will be here for 2 full years. What a treat for us!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

McGraw was very surprised when Loyd declared early (went so far as to call Loyd "crazy"). Especially unusual case for Loyd since she was a three year junior.

So you never know.... crazier things have definitely happened no matter what the player says early on.

I think when other players leave early, it is a combination of looking to get to the money early + having a feeling that they can't learn (or in Morgan's case, concerns with injury) anything more where they are. Since Azura was willing to sit out a year, she does not strike me as someone who cant wait to get to the pros at the first opportunity and it is clear to me that she feels that she is just now learning how to play basketball at the cauldron of UConn . Add that Aja would be 1st pick if she left early + her declaration and I think the chances are very very good she stays.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Tuck at the beginning of her last year with UConn swearing up and down that she was going to stay her full eligibility and work towards her masters? You just never know until that time comes to make the decision. ....

I remember and agree. I like to stay in the here and now and intend to enjoy every minute of every game and leave worrying about the future to others.

Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with Z so far. In the exhibition games, it was obvious that she was expending a lot of energy, and I was very surprised to see how mobile she is. She can cover a lot of territory and as she works herself into real team play, she's gonna be something to watch.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You are exactly right. Many things can change between now and the end of the season. But 5 things.
  1. It's not a leap at all to assume that Geno would not have taken her had she said at the outset "I want to come to play only 1 year, try to win a NC, and then leave"
  2. She has now publicly said she intends to stay 2 more years.
  3. It's pretty clear she loves it at UCONN and (without "dissing" Duke) is happier here than she was there
  4. For the foreseeable future, she's not going to be a starter, and I believe the motivation to come back next season, be on the short list for NPOY, and possibly have another 1-2-3 draft, is something she really wants.
  5. I believe she will improve this year, and improve even more next year - meaning she still has much to learn at UCONN to be the best player she can be
Yes things can change, but I choose to forego the doom and gloom thoughts of "only 1 year" and focus on all the reasons we think she will be here for 2 full years. What a treat for us!!
And also,

6. Why leave after one year of playing under 20 mins a game just to be the number 2 pick (at best) in the draft when you can leave the next year after averaging 30 mins a game and be the number 1 pick.
7. A second year at UConn means working on your footwork inside and more time in the weight room to better prepare you for the pro game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like most UConn WBB players, Z is an exceptionally intelligent young lady. When she talks about trying to improve every day in practice and being much more critical of her own performance now, then she was at Duke, it tells me that she knows there are a lot of things she needs to get better at.

That’s not to say that Z isn’t one hell of a player right now, but she certainly appears to be driven to be the absolute best player she can be, something that is far more likely if she stays another year at UConn with Geno, CD & company.

Reaction Score

Coach Auremima has a unique relationship with his players, particularly his most stellar athletes. I perceive that this young lady will be true to her gracious character and follow through, as she states. If not, the Coach will be part of the decision making process. I see greatness in this young lady.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Z stays for next year, she has a chance to be part of what may be the best front court in WCB history. KLS, Phee and Z...other than KLS, Phee and Gabby, not sure there is any front court that is even in the argument .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Z stays for next year, she has a chance to be part of what may be the best front court in WCB history. KLS, Phee and Z...other than KLS, Phee and Gabby, not sure there is any front court that is even in the argument .
I love the comment but I suspect you’ll get a debate from BY’ers who might suggest either Williams/Jones/Cash or Dolson/Stewie/Tuck to name a few fairly decent Husky front courts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ademec had an interview with Azura which covered many interesting things.

Five questions with UConn's Azura Stevens

What should make the BY happy is this little blurb

4. What do you want to add to this new team on and off the court?

"On the court, I want to add a down-low presence. I want to be someone who owns the paint on offense and on defense. I want to make sure that I do it at both ends, not only scoring but protecting the rim defensively. I want to be another rebounder. Off the court, I want to add my personality, charisma (smiles). I like to have a good time and hang out with people and make them smile. We have a great group of people here that were accepting and welcoming of me. I played against a couple of them my freshman year, so I didn't think that would be a barrier coming in even though I didn't really know many of them well. I enjoy building friendships and I'm building relationships that I'm sure will last the three years that I'll be here."

"I enjoy building friendships and I'm building relationships that I'm sure will last the three years that I'll be here". That's the kind of talk I want to hear!!! That's my girl!! She left out two words at the end of this sentence...................................."and beyond" It's not unusual to find and meet people who will become "life long" friends in college. :):D:p

Last edited by a moderator:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I realize the sample size is small but Z seems more comfortable on the perimeter even showing enough on the ball defensive skills that make you forget she is 6'6. The problem is that, so far, she has not shot well from the three even though it appears she has free reign to do so. If, and historically it does at UConn, she shoots a decent percentage from three, she may become a more attractive draft prospect than Aja or Mitchell.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I think I`m not the only one who writes out UConn depth charts on the back of envelopes.

At least I hope I`m not the only one.:)

For 2018-2019, I`ve switched from pencil to pen on Williams and Z.

That is one impressive depth chart!

S -Dangerfield........... R-Coombs/Bent
S-Walker/C. Williams........... R-Gordon
S-KLS........... R-Walker/AEH
S-Collier........... R- Camara/Irwin
S-Z........... R-ONO??? (pencilled in)

I know, early to be doing this when UConn hasn`t played its first game for 2017-2018, but the Williams commitment gets one to think.

Tuck`s situation was different - injury issues and prospect of shortened pro career, plus she left with her classmates she came in with, Stewie and Moriah, after 4 NC`s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I realize the sample size is small but Z seems more comfortable on the perimeter even showing enough on the ball defensive skills that make you forget she is 6'6. The problem is that, so far, she has not shot well from the three even though it appears she has free reign to do so. If, and historically it does at UConn, she shoots a decent percentage from three, she may become a more attractive draft prospect than Aja or Mitchell.
Right, the sample size is about 20 minutes :). But I completely agree that she could be an extremely attractive draft prospect as a freakish player. OTOH, there is no substitute for someone who can do the hard work of muscling underneath while being fluid enough to work at around 10' out: those are the hardest players to find. As well, this year, A'ja will be the focus of her team, while Z will get far fewer minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You are because Morgan did not swear up and down. She said my plans “as of right now” are to stay. Her plans changed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom