OT: - More gripes about WCBB referees | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: More gripes about WCBB referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Iowa lost for multiple reasons:
1. Officiating was as bad as it could be.
2. Clark is a great player (a healthy Paige is better) but she tried to do too much single handily, made a number of poor decisions and failed to get her teammates involved.
3. Iowa just is not a good defensive team.
4. A couple of LSU players had the greatest performance of their careers and likely will never come close to that again.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
2. Clark is a great player (a healthy Paige is better) but she tried to do too much single handily, made a number of poor decisions and failed to get her teammates involved.
4. A couple of LSU players had the greatest performance of their careers and likely will never come close to that again.
True:
But in the 2nd half, defense was impossible due to foul situ...It was like a pro All-Star game

And the game was won by LSU's unconscious shooting in the first half

They won fair and square but???
A comeback was impossible the way the game was officiated.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Fouls make a difference in game play—both mentally and physically. If you know you could be on the bench with the slightest action, your style and methodology of game play is stifled.
I would like to respectfully respond. Fouls make a difference. LSU had to play the second quarter with three starters on the bench.

I didn’t care who won the game. Actually I wanted both teams to lose, but that’s not possible in basketball. So I just sat back and enjoyed the offense of both teams, 50% from the floor for both and 65% and 47% from the three. Millions of TV viewers got to see amazing basketball, showing that WCBB is fun and worth watching.

I agree that the officiating was awful, but (not speaking about you, wyo) I find the « my team was cheated » or « my team lost because of the refs » to be tiring. Iowa lost. LSU played better. It was fun to watch two great teams.

I’m going to think about the UConn men’s game tomorrow and the women’s comeback next year. Bonne nuit, tout le monde.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Caitlin Clark did the same face wiping thing in each of the last two games. Last weekend it was all over ESPN. I don't like it either. I believe it means something to the effect of "you can't stop me."
I don't recall her doing it in an opponets face. One of the times, the one I saw, she even turned to a section that was mostly Iowa fans to do it.

Reaction Score
I totally agree that the officiating was terrible, but it was terrible against both teams. Iowa lost because they rely too much on Clark, the same as Uconn relied too much on Paige two years ago.
Exactly. I said previously that Iowa would probably not win the title because they rely too much on Clark. So I’m not shocked. When other teams have beaten Iowa they shut down Clark. It’s not rocket science.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Caitlin Clark did the same face wiping thing in each of the last two games. Last weekend it was all over ESPN. I don't like it either. I believe it means something to the effect of "you can't stop me."
Yeah, I don’t care for Reese’s tactics at all but it’s not like CC wasn’t doing it to her opponents either. Don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing.

Is it not enough to just pop the jersey and show off the name?

Reaction Score
Instead of bragging about how they had an all-female referee crew like this year, I hope that in the future the NCAA brags about how they selected the most competent ref crew. They called 37 fouls today, a new record, and it wasn't just this game. The refereeing has been atrocious all tournament and I feel like it's gotten worse in the last few years as the quality of play has gone up.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's clearly a delay of game, but any competent ref would have given her a warning.
They’d had a delay warning earlier, second one is a tech.

Reaction Score

This is pathetic: referee citing the rule book as to why Clark was whistled for technical.
Where's the reference to the rules when it comes to a coach staying on the court the entire game.

NCAA will look the other way.

Reaction Score
We blame the refs a lot (I do), and deservedly so. However, it is not just the refs. They are human and will have a hard time making calls (or non calls). So what can be done? The answer is to modify the rules so that it is easier to make a correct call (or non call).

If I show a play on a video to 20 neutral people who have read the rule on that play, and 50% say one call and 50% say it is another, then there is something wrong with the rule. So, I am only versed in the rules as a fan, but from what I understand of the rules, they is a huge variance in interpretation. That variance needs to shrink, so the interpretation is easier to make. IMO.

Reaction Score

This is pathetic: referee citing the rule book as to why Clark was whistled for technical.
Where's the reference to the rules when it comes to a coach staying on the court the entire game.

How can the rules define (do they?) a delay of game, when the play is stopped because of the foul call? The earlier delay of game warning according to the official was after a made basket. That I can understand. But the play is dead after a called foul. Correct me people. I am too lazy to read the rule.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
During the off-season, the NCAA has to have some serious meetings with referees. ALL the referees have to be on the same page. When the NCAA and the referees come to an agreement on what IS a foul, and what is NOT a foul, then more has to be done.
Explanatory videos and detailed info must be sent to all team coaches. If the coaches comply with these new rules, and fully teach them to their players, we should see improvement.
The coaches who do not drill these new rules into their teams will suffer.
If several of their players foul out early in the game, they will eventually abide by the changes which have been made.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was awful. The bad refereeing probably didn't affect the result, but it affected - among other things - the enjoyment of the game, the flow of the game, and the actual details of who scored and who fouled out.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

To make a call like that in those circumstances and in that moment showed an astonishing lack of judgment.

In addition to being an absurd, ridiculous call, however, I don`t see how the referee`s supposed justification of the call makes any sense either under the rule that she has cited.

The rule as quoted requires that the player be "attempting to gain an advantage" by interfering with the ball after a goal or failing to give it to the referee immediately after a blown whistle.

Seems to me that one could only be "attempting to gain an advantage" in a live ball situation - and we have all seen this numerous times, players trying to give their defense a chance to set up usually, and occasionally a delay of game warning is given but it is extremely rare in even that context that a technical is called.

But here, it was a DEAD BALL situation. A foul had been called, and free throws were coming as a result of the foul. There was no conceivable "attempt to gain an advantage" here. As a practical matter, the ball appeared to have gone to a baseline photographer and was promptly returned to the court in any event. But again, what "advantage" could have possibly been gained even if it bounced around for a couple of more seconds?

I am admittedly not familiar with the nuances of the rule and maybe there is a referee or two on the Boneyard who can weigh in on this. But based upon the rule as she has described it in writing, it does not justify what she did. No advantage gained. If she thinks it does justify it, she is worse than I thought.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't really agree with #2. Her passes are phenomenal and she had - if I heard correctly - 7 assists. I might agree she made some bad decisions, but having seen her a number of times this year, there is no location on the floor where she is not open.

Reaction Score
Apparently, the names of the three Referees is a well guarded secret. The announcers never mentioned their names. I can't find their names in any box score. I challenge anyone to find out who they were.
Aluminy69- - - The refs listed in the box score on the NCAA site are:
Lisa Jones
Pualani Spurlock-Welsh
Michol Murray

With the NCAA's biggest game of the year they pick 3 refs no one ever heard of!
How do you not pick your BEST refs for the biggest game? Even tho they ALL stink you have refs that have 10+ years experience to chose from!

wyo angel

spicy. spunky. sassy. an angel in disguise.
Reaction Score
I would like to respectfully respond. Fouls make a difference. LSU had to play the second quarter with three starters on the bench.

I didn’t care who won the game. Actually I wanted both teams to lose, but that’s not possible in basketball. So I just sat back and enjoyed the offense of both teams, 50% from the floor for both and 65% and 47% from the three. Millions of TV viewers got to see amazing basketball, showing that WCBB is fun and worth watching.

I agree that the officiating was awful, but (not speaking about you, wyo) I find the « my team was cheated » or « my team lost because of the refs » to be tiring. Iowa lost. LSU played better. It was fun to watch two great teams.

I’m going to think about the UConn men’s game tomorrow and the women’s comeback next year. Bonne nuit, tout le monde.

Hi ballerfan!
I’m not saying the “team was cheated or lost because of…”, I don’t think that as that would be playing the “if” game. I am merely stating that the level of play might very well have been different.
I cannot predict the outcome of any games based off of “if’s”, but I stand by my statement that “Fouls make a difference in game play—both mentally and physically. If you know you could be on the bench with the slightest action, your style and methodology of game play is stifled.”

Looking forward to the men’s game tomorrow, too! Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
If Reese had made a brief gesture towards Clark, I wouldn't have thought much about it. But chasing her around the court for ten or fifteen seconds is way over the line. I also doubt that she cares much about her fellow SEC players at South Carolina. And picking her as MOP over Morris or Carson (or even Clark?!) was a poor choice.

Reaction Score
Aluminy69- - - The refs listed in the box score on the NCAA site are:
Lisa Jones
Pualani Spurlock-Welsh
Michol Murray

With the NCAA's biggest game of the year they pick 3 refs no one ever heard of!
How do you not pick your BEST refs for the biggest game? Even tho they ALL stink you have refs that have 10+ years experience to chose from!
Spurlock-Welsh did several Connecticut games this year, I'm fairly sure. her name is familiar to me, though not the other two.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else I would have enjoyed watching battle between LSU and Iowa instead of a battle among the refs for airtime. The refs assigned to the semis did their jobs well. So why weren’t any of them rewarded and assigned to the final? At a minimum, a strong crew chief should have been assigned to reign in the other refs. Apparently there is wide gap (I’m picturing the Grand Canyon here) between the top six floor referees and numbers seven thru nine, or the criteria for referee selection is in need of vast improvement. Why did they save their worst for last?

Reaction Score
South Florida's coach Jose Fernandez was interviewed about the officiating. He claims that the problem has always been that referees for each conference are represented & they all call games differently. He & several coaches have been lobbying the committee for years to get all conferences to call games the same way. But the stubborn, egotistical officiating coordinators for each conference refuse to change their style.
That might be why the refs weren't advised during halftime to let them play. They were following instructions from their coordinators who probably encouraged them to continue their barrage of whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom