OT: - More gripes about WCBB referees | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: More gripes about WCBB referees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looked to me like the officials came out and got revenge for people complaining about them not calling anything the other night. In this game it wasn't only the number of calls but who they were on. Then to put a cherry on top they have the best player in the game a T for rolling the ball out of bounds.

The person who called that T should be banned from calling another FF game. This whole crew needs to learn that people didn't tune in to watch them and when they take the stars out of their games it hurts the game itself. LSU played a near flawless game but this game will be remembered for the way the officiating didn't let them play.

Reaction Score
The reffing in the women‘s game has never been great, but their performance in the NatChamp game was absolute proof that changes are needed. But… the NCAA will need to have their nose rubbed in it before they wake up to this fact.

Reaction Score
A hugely important showcase for woman's BB was completely ruined by the refs...

Geno alluded to this earlier...

Serious corrections required
They did the same thing to UCONN in the OSU game. OSU outplayed UCONN but the calls on AE really changed the complexion of that game and Iowa not having their two best players on the court did the same to them today.

Reaction Score
Lot to learn when you're that young. Pride goeth before a fall. Chastening will come. How anyone responds to that is the key to maturity.

Reaction Score
My enjoyment of the LSU/Iowa game absolutely diminished by the referees’ interference with the action.

I wonder what might be the impact on the quality of officiating if the referees were required to do post game pressers as are the coaches?

And wouldn’t it be nice if NCAA officials who pick the officiating crews were interviewed about the state of affairs?
I agree 100% - they would never do that because they know the refs would have no good answers and would lose even more credibility. But it's not like there would be a problem getting refs if they were forced to attend presses. People will always show up if there's money involved.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but looking at the box score, I have this question - has any NC Runner-up ever had 2 starters foul out and a 3rd player with 4?
I did see the video of Caitlin getting the T and was kinda shocked that #50 was not shocked by it. However, the video didn't show if the ball was in the direction of a ref or in an opposite direction.

Reaction Score
Iowa lost because they couldn't get a defensive stop if Lisa Bluder's life depended on it. That said, the game clearly was too big for that trio of officials. The game needs and deserves better.

If they are the best three then the game is in trouble. If they aren't the three best then shame on NCAAW for using something other than skill to determine who calls the FF games. This was the first year I can recall several games that were severely impacted by officiating and that is a shame.

Reaction Score
Tell me the refs are not afraid of Kim. I thought in that first quarter all the calls seemed to be against Iowa and when one went against LSU Kim was out of her mind about it.
No doubt - and afraid of her players - they called the stupid tech on Caitlin because that tiny show of frustration reminded the ref what a bad (and partial) job she was doing.

Reaction Score
Why wasn’t Dee Kanter one of the refs? I thought she was usually the go-to for women’s games.

Reaction Score
They don't know what rampant means.
If these are the best refs they have, then complete and sweeping changes are needed IMMEDIATELY (if they want WCBB to succeed.)

Reaction Score
Institutions and our trust in them is what holds us together. To trust them they need to be trustworthy. I've posted my curiosity before. What institution governs the officiating of WCBB? Will there be a published review of the officials' performance? Where will it come from? Will the review criteria be transparently known? If not, why not?

An example of the kind of situation where officiating could be standardized is the high elbow contact as shooters or rebounders spin with the ball held high. a. Should it be allowed? b. if allowed with what conditions? Turning is ok, unless an elbow (or shoulder) connects with the face of an opponent. c. Conversely, body-to-body defending - should that be allowed? If you body up, and the opponent clocks you in the face with an elbow or shoulder 1) if the ballholders movement is entirely vertical, it's the defender's problem, but 2) if the ballholder pushes into the defender, it's an offensive foul.

Ok that's me in 10 seconds of thinking. Hasn't somebody done this and written it down clearly; so that everybody can know it? If it has been made clear and objective, it shouldn't look so random and subjective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but looking at the box score, I have this question - has any NC Runner-up ever had 2 starters foul out and a 3rd player with 4?
I did see the video of Caitlin getting the T and was kinda shocked that #50 was not shocked by it. However, the video didn't show if the ball was in the direction of a ref or in an opposite direction.
It's clearly a delay of game, but any competent ref would have given her a warning.

Reaction Score
This is how Reese to Clark. You judge this,

My kid or grandkid does that... what happens next would be a lifelong memory. I don't mean to sound like a harsh parent. But somethings need to be made very clear.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Actions like that of Angel Reese show her true character, and the officiating letting Kim be on the court, grabbing the ref (automatic T not called) probably hurt the game of WBB on the biggest stage. I watched a lot of WBB games this year not just my favorite team, but I don't see myself doing so after this.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese's taunting of Caitlin Clark toward the end of the game, waving her ring finger in Caitlin's face, was really classless.

I’m not a fan of this behavior, but apparently Clark was not shy about talking a bit during the tournament. Can’t support either girl in this case. That said, I love the Larry Bird trashing talking stories.

Hated the refs and the complete lack of credible defense by Iowa.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why wasn’t Dee Kanter one of the refs? I thought she was usually the go-to for women’s games.
She did Iowa/SC on Friday night. Officials don't do a semi-final game and the championship game.

Reaction Score
The T on Clark was a terrible call.
Reese is a classless individual.
The women's college game will never be taken seriously if this the type of officiating you get. They need to understand which player is causing the contact, stop the over the backs, the arm is not part of the ball and two players need to be holding the ball for a jump ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom