OT: - More gripes about WCBB referees | The Boneyard

OT: More gripes about WCBB referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My enjoyment of the LSU/Iowa game absolutely diminished by the referees’ interference with the action.

I wonder what might be the impact on the quality of officiating if the referees were required to do post game pressers as are the coaches?

And wouldn’t it be nice if NCAA officials who pick the officiating crews were interviewed about the state of affairs?

Reaction Score
From Twitter,

Screenshot (42).png

Reaction Score

The LSU-Iowa women’s national championship game turned into a ref show

Not only was this a technical foul on Clark, it was also a personal foul which gives her four for the game. She’s likely going to have to sit for a good portion of the final quarter with Iowa trailing by 11. The Hawkeyes have three starters with four fouls, and Clark’s situation is going to command the most attention. The officials have a tough job but this is one you should probably let go. If LSU head coach Kim Mulkey isn’t getting a technical for chewing out the refs on every possession, Clark should be fine here.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Iowa lost because they couldn't get a defensive stop if Lisa Bluder's life depended on it. That said, the game clearly was too big for that trio of officials. The game needs and deserves better.

Reaction Score

The rampant officiating during Iowa-LSU's women's NCAA tournament title game made fans furious

Nobody likes it when referees dictate the pacing of a national title game, and you can bet folks were out complaining about it during Sunday’s 2023 women’s NCAA tournament championship.

One of the most anticipated women’s basketball games in quite a while, the heavyweight fight between Iowa and LSU saw its first quarter hampered by a spattering of questionable calls from the referees.

Reaction Score
I hope the NCAA finally gets serious about the problem that officiating has become in the women's college game. The appearance of bias, the inconsistency between conferences, the inconsistency between and within games. The problem has been getting worse for years now. It undermines the game and punishes the fans. I was glad that ESPN called it out.

LSU was the better team today, largely due to their unbelievable shooting performance throughout the afternoon. Wow, 102 points! The most ever in a championship game. And simply not enough team around Clark to mount a sustained comeback.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

The rampant officiating during Iowa-LSU's women's NCAA tournament title game made fans furious

Nobody likes it when referees dictate the pacing of a national title game, and you can bet folks were out complaining about it during Sunday’s 2023 women’s NCAA tournament championship.

One of the most anticipated women’s basketball games in quite a while, the heavyweight fight between Iowa and LSU saw its first quarter hampered by a spattering of questionable calls from the referees.

They don't know what rampant means.

Reaction Score
The better team won. But the officiating was not good, to put it politely.

I struggle to reconcile the touch calls in the paint for minimal contact, on the one hand, and the refusal to call a foul under the basket on rebounds when players are getting shoved, bumped, and held down, especially when the contact results in a change of possession.

Similarly, there's a tendency to call push-offs -- Clark was called twice -- but not to call hand-checks that impede the progress of the dribbler.

All that said, LSU shot lights out in the 2nd, when Angel was on the bench, and that was the difference.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese's taunting of Caitlin Clark toward the end of the game, waving her ring finger in Caitlin's face, was really classless.
It’s her schtick. NIL money with assist from LSU. Kim will not rein her in; only the NCAA or the refs can stop such behavior. I doubt either will, or even want to do so.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese's taunting of Caitlin Clark toward the end of the game, waving her ring finger in Caitlin's face, was really classless.
That should have led to an ejection, not just a technical.

LSU absolutely deserved to win today; they were clearly the better team. But this is the worst refereed game I've seen this year, and that is saying a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom