More future schedule dates/opponents for 2021/2022 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

More future schedule dates/opponents for 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Show your work
It’s been done several times. The Big East conference revenue is less even factoring production costs imposed by the AAC, and the exit fee eviscerates any chance of revenue equalization in the next few years, even if we generate SNY $$ with football. The only rationale is the long term revenue projection on a discounted cash flow basis (which means huge dollars start flowing in years 5- 10) exceeds what is projected over 10 years with the AAC.

Reaction Score
The 109th ranked class gives you hope?

When the move to independence was announced I feared it would cause a drop off in recruiting and result in many KEY transfers off the current team. So far I don't see any drop off in recruiting and while transfers are up I would say KEY transfers are at the same level they were last year.

Based on the early returns the move to independence will not cause a talent decline and if we can start winning against a slightly easier schedule maybe incoming talent will improve resulting in more wins and more talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s been done several times. The Big East conference revenue is less even factoring production costs imposed by the AAC, and the exit fee eviscerates any chance of revenue equalization in the next few years, even if we generate SNY $$ with football. The only rationale is the long term revenue projection on a discounted cash flow basis (which means huge dollars start flowing in years 5- 10) exceeds what is projected over 10 years with the AAC.

@Storrs South watcha got updated?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Those bowl tie-ins are better than NO tie-ins.

Maybe, maybe not.

Depending on the year, and our record going in, having no bowl tie-ins opens us up to many more bowls. The AAC bowl tie-ins leaves the possibility of really 2 of the worst bowls out there - the Gasparilla (which is always horrid near-christmas morning kick off, making it impossible to travel to), and the Frisco.

The only real draw is the possible NY6 tie-in, which hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So moving out of the AAC requires the administration to do what no other school has done, AND identify and fund better than average football coaches.
Staying required the administration to oversee the continued destruction of it's two best programs.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think TCU is an example of going "down" in conference and getting better.

They have been the TCU we know now since 1998, after they were kicked out of the newly formed Big 12 when it was formed out of the southwest conference in 1994.

Reaction Score
They have been the TCU we know now since 1998, after they were kicked out of the newly formed Big 12 when it was formed out of the southwest conference in 1994.
So a 20 year journey? And it was not a voluntary step down.

Reaction Score
Remember when Temple was in the Big East? Remember when UConn could beat Temple? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Right. Temple couldn't win any games, couldn't draw 2,000 fans, yet over the course of ten or so years they wound up with a solid program with, now, a series of good coaching hires that has made them very respectable.

Reaction Score
Right. Temple couldn't win any games, couldn't draw 2,000 fans, yet over the course of ten or so years they wound up with a solid program with, now, a series of good coaching hires that has made them very respectable.
Temple does something that would help UCONN beyond belief. They pretty much have open admission which really improves the talent they can bring in. Almost all the schools in AAC had open admissions which really changes their teams. Maybe UCONN new president will open up admissions and we can compete again. I asked Edsall a few years ago why he didn’t bring in more Juco and he told me he would absolutely love to but it was extremely difficult for Uconn to get them acceptable for our admissions. It’s sad but it’s like tying his hands and asking him to win a fight. People have to understand this is the way it has been

Reaction Score
Here's the latest version, but probably could use some updates including time value of money (although we are only doing this over 12 year timeframe so it shouldn't significantly swing numbers)

TV Deal Comparison
You can’t “annualize” a current expense and spread it out like an amortized capital cost. We are talking real cash flow. $17 million is real $$ . If you even take a modest rate of cost of capital of 2.5% that would mean another $425,000 In expense. As to the rest of the assumptions, there is a lot lollipop and unicorn assumptions in there but that’s ok if they are within reason. Generally you need to haircut assumptions as a function of time and probability. If you move the $17 million to the front where it belongs, the analysis changes immensely and if you properly discount actual inflows over 10 years, the BE proposition is a nonstarter over the first five years. As I said before, the suitability of the move hangs on meeting some aggressive assumptions in years 5-10.

Reaction Score
You can’t “annualize” a current expense and spread it out like an amortized capital cost. We are talking real cash flow. $17 million is real $$ . If you even take a modest rate of cost of capital of 2.5% that would mean another $425,000 In expense. As to the rest of the assumptions, there is a lot lollipop and unicorn assumptions in there but that’s ok if they are within reason. Generally you need to haircut assumptions as a function of time and probability. If you move the $17 million to the front where it belongs, the analysis changes immensely and if you properly discount actual inflows over 10 years, the BE proposition is a nonstarter over the first five years. As I said before, the suitability of the move hangs on meeting some aggressive assumptions in years 5-10.

you do know a chunk of the $17m isn’t a check we wrote. It’s money that conference owes us. Real Money. Not State or Taxpayers

the key thing to focus on - RE Dollars - is the Flat nature of the AAC contact. Past 2032. And I’m with Waquoit. That conference was killing us in MBB&FB. And WBB is looking renewed. In life or (in this case) Athletic Department, you pick a path that you’re good at ... and you work that seriously. Our way back to relevancy is Hoop. Win more WBB NC. Be a contender in MBB. Do that & we will be far better in Revenue. Football will benefit as well.

Reaction Score
excellent point slick, what I have suspected since I have watched program after program in AAC get better and better "No admission standards whatsoever" will do it and completely turn a program around !

Reaction Score
Temple does something that would help UCONN beyond belief. They pretty much have open admission which really improves the talent they can bring in. Almost all the schools in AAC had open admissions which really changes their teams. Maybe UCONN new president will open up admissions and we can compete again. I asked Edsall a few years ago why he didn’t bring in more Juco and he told me he would absolutely love to but it was extremely difficult for Uconn to get them acceptable for our admissions. It’s sad but it’s like tying his hands and asking him to win a fight. People have to understand this is the way it has been

Agree.... IMHO, the admin. (Suzie) never took enuf heat and on-going responsibility for hires and admissions....
Wasn't it Parcells that said something like.. " if they want you to cook in the kitchen, they need to let you buy the groceries". In our case, SH tied up most things by a crappy admissions policy regarding athletics, by far an important piece of marketing the university. IMO....

Reaction Score
Agree.... IMHO, the admin. (Suzie) never took enuf heat and on-going responsibility for hires and admissions....
Wasn't it Parcells that said something like.. " if they want you to cook in the kitchen, they need to let you buy the groceries". In our case, SH tied up most things by a crappy admissions policy regarding athletics, by far an important piece of marketing the university. IMO....

IMO, this is something that alumni and fans can influence. Enough outcry and pressure on the AD and Prez can make a difference. It starts with awareness and then it's communication to the administration.

Reaction Score
IMO, this is something that alumni and fans can influence. Enough outcry and pressure on the AD and Prez can make a difference. It starts with awareness and then it's communication to the administration.

LOL. This is not Alabama. This is Connecticut. It has taken two generations to turn our flagship state university into a very good public flagship, and to get good students from the New York suburbs in Fairfield County to consider going there. The thought that you are going to get broad public support to throw away all type of academic standards for athletes to help us win games is pretty funny.

P.S. -- it's not like we didn't get to the Fiesta Bowl, and win 4 mens basketball championships, and basically create womens' basketball as a spectator sport, while still putting some academic limits on our coaches.

Reaction Score
We’re talking about athletes on athletic scholarship. Very few would get admitted on academics alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom