More fuel to the fire (re: Griner) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

More fuel to the fire (re: Griner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do they receive any Federal Support for reseach? Is their land tax free? Are there institutional state/federal tax breaks?
Shouldn't matter. It's their school, their rules. If you don't like them, don't go there. There are over 300 other Div 1 schools one could attend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
After reading some of these articles, Griner can come across as a somewhat unlikeable figure.

"....hoping to make it to a concession stand...without stopping to sign autographs or take photos."

Not for nothing, but I suspect she could walk around Yankee Stadium in her Baylor uniform dribbling a basketball and not be bothered for autographs.

I find it very hard to take that Baylor was the prison she now makes it out to be - Baylor is not exactly known for keeping its athletes on a short leash. I give Mulkey credit for not shooting back at some of Griner's potshots, but eventually she'll have to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I give Mulkey credit for not shooting back at some of Griner's potshots, but eventually she'll have to.

And she will. Her history says she will. It's only a matter of time and tone.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I bet Griner gets stopped all the time. She's a 6"8 woman, first of all, and is very well known among even non-WCBB fans.

Reaction Score
Things have no doubt changed in the last 50 years, but in the 1960's in Dallas the Baptist Church was very active in the community working to shut down venues aimed at kids like the Hullabaloo Club that sponsored live bands and served soft drinks and sported a dance floor. We were all upset when these efforts invariably succeeded...and there was a pervasive understanding among us of the behavioral strictures imposed by the Baptist Church. I was very surprised to hear that the Griner family...in the heart of Baptist country...could be so unaware...

I hope Kim Mulkey wishes Brittany good luck and limits her comments to that...return salvos won't help anyone's cause...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Do they receive any Federal Support for reseach? Is their land tax free? Are there institutional state/federal tax breaks?
The tax issue stands separate but the issues of federal funds received by the university is pertinent and is one of the bases for universities needing to comply with federal standards unless they are willing to forgo those funds.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
After reading some of these articles, Griner can come across as a somewhat unlikeable figure.

"....hoping to make it to a concession stand...without stopping to sign autographs or take photos."

Not for nothing, but I suspect she could walk around Yankee Stadium in her Baylor uniform dribbling a basketball and not be bothered for autographs.

I find it very hard to take that Baylor was the prison she now makes it out to be - Baylor is not exactly known for keeping its athletes on a short leash. I give Mulkey credit for not shooting back at some of Griner's potshots, but eventually she'll have to.
Oh wow, talk about digging really deep below the bottom of the barrel. That is truly a beaut! Of course, denigrate one of the most-recognized figures in WBB by simply saying no one cares about her (or her sport, even your buddies on the MCBB board usually give the women their due). News to you, Griner has been seen on a lot of sports pages lately and NYC tends to be a kind of celebrity hungry autograph-seeking town with people who can smell an autograph star in the making.

And maybe you're saying she should also be flogged for not wanting to give out siggies at the moment? More news to you, there are a lot of athletes who don't love signing autographs for many different reasons including that they're making a huge chunk of change selling them or they don't really love the publicity -- or in this case, the poor woman is hungry and she wants some chicken fingers. Usually Griner is very accommodating for autographs. Man, does she have a lot of crosses to bear! Glad she didn't have a bursting bladder at that moment, because next thing fans (and n0n-fans) will be screaming that she should be pulling a 24-type Jack Bauer impersonation.

Not sure she ever called called Baylor a "prison," as most of her comments about the school have talked about the friends she made there, the activities like skateboarding she enjoyed, and the camaraderie she enjoyed with the fans. She simply said that she would have liked her time there better if she had been allowed the simple right that is accorded to Americans in most places to show respectful affection to a special loved at a public event that is accorded to a guy and a woman. And she's fine at shrugging off any discomfort you may have with that notion. And with Mulkey's rep at a new low, for her to lash back at her ex-star would be like the hole calling the potshot empty.

And some can say that Baylor can do what ever it damn well pleases because it's their court and they own the ball, but the same could be said of Baylor in 1962 concerning another issue based on race and it both has some equal rights issues to work through along with a kettle of state money it uses to promote all those religious activities it nurtures. Truly, the lists of Baylor student organizations are ones you can only hate if you are a curmudgeon against do-good stuff or are uncomfortable with all the Christian\conservative rhetoric, but hey the school does now have both a Quidditch and hip-hop dance club. But no, the Stepping Out club has nothing to do with any LGBT issues.

Reaction Score
The owners themselves, yes. Not all teams though. I know Seattle is obviously a big one since some of the owners are lesbians, but the gripe I hear all the time from the lesbian community is that the WNBA runs from their core audience, even still. I think some teams market to them sure, but to think the Tulsa Shock is strongly going after the LGBT community, I mean...

I agree with this assessment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The owners themselves, yes. Not all teams though. I know Seattle is obviously a big one since some of the owners are lesbians, but the gripe I hear all the time from the lesbian community is that the WNBA runs from their core audience, even still. I think some teams market to them sure, but to think the Tulsa Shock is strongly going after the LGBT community, I mean...
I am not sure that the league or any team can survive long if their core market is approximately 2-3% of the population nor should they "run away" from any group. The WNBA needs to appeal to as broad a market as possible, straights and the LGBT community.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Meyers...

Does Federal support of a University require compliance with Federal Law?

Can Baylor policy be anti-gay because it is “their” University?

Are these thoughts connected?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers...

Does Federal support of a University require compliance with Federal Law?

Can Baylor policy be anti-gay because it is “their” University?

Are these thoughts connected?
What didn't they comply with???

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
What didn't they comply with???

My opinion on how the world should be.;)

I will be with some hot shot lawyers soon...I'll find something to drum up... must be some law that holds Baylors feet to the fire.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My opinion on how the world should be.;)
Well, there you go. :cool:

Always find it interesting how people who preach/support/mandate/want "diversity", always want it to be that kind. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hahah! I could have sworn I have mentioned it before!! And all grown up, ugh, don't remind me lol. I just turned 25 and am wondering where the heck my life has gone hahah
25!?!?! Say it ain't so!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Tulsa is like Waco on steroids. (Yes, I have personal knowledge of both,)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Tulsa is like Waco on steroids. (Yes, I have personal knowledge of both,)
''

Oh, now, that's an unpleasant mental image - Tulsa is the Barry Bonds of wing-nuttery, the big head and little boys of crazydom. Drove through both of 'em last May, seemed nice enough passing through. Just goes to show, I guess.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Wise of you to just pass through. Oh very wise, indeed. A 900 ft tall manifestation of Jesus passed through Tulsa a while back. He too just passed through, pausing only for a short chat with Oral. "Waco" is, of course, an Anglicization of the Spanish "hueco", for which there are many interesting translations, or possibly a contraction of the English "Whacko"; controversy exists, and there are arguments to be made on both sides. Perhaps our resident lexicographer in chief, Bro. Wonkster, could give an authoritative opinion on the question.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Pretty sure she would. I'm pretty sure Geno would as well.

That's ludicrous and you know it. If a player tweeted at her boyfriend, Mulkey wouldn't say a damn thing. I guarantee you I can go find tweets right now from Baylor player's to their boyfriends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom