More fuel to the fire (re: Griner) | The Boneyard

More fuel to the fire (re: Griner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've only skimmed this so far, but some notable quotations ...

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9316697/owning-middle

• Ray Griner is more blunt. He says his daughter hasn't heard from Mulkey since Baylor's shocking loss to Louisville in this year's NCAA tournament. "It's about dollar signs," Ray says. "There's nothing in it for Kim anymore, so she's done with Brittney."
  • [Griner] and her parents say they knew nothing of [Baylor's] policy against homosexuality.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Wow. I found it kind of weird that Mulkey wasn't at the draft to support Brittney.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A sad commentary regarding a Universities’ responsibility to mentor, teach, educate and develop its students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There has to be more to this story.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I read this whole article, and why any athlete would want to specifically play for Mulkey, or more generally attend Baylor, is beyond me.

Regarding Mulkey - she lied to Griner about Baylor policies on sexuality, told her there were no problems, then forced her to hide sexuality for four years. I cannot imagine how a future recruit's parents could welcome this woman into their home and send their child off to be mentored by her for four years. We are hearing lots of stories about abusive coaches, but to me this is a far worse case of abuse by a coach than anything going on at Rutgers. Mulkey told a player that who she was is not OK, and that there is something wrong with her lifestyle - her being - that needs to be hidden from the community. What a nasty move. I suspect that she probably deep down things homosexuality is a sin, and now that she can't profit any further, has broken ties. I am happy that Griner is now being so public about her time at Baylor, if for no other reason than to inform her future recruits.

And regarding Baylor. The policy regarding gays is terrible and archaic, but the hypocrisy that allowed them to profit off Griner despite their knowledge of her sexuality is disgusting.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There has to be more to this story.

Whatever more there is does not change what happened to BG...clearly she was isolated by word, deed, and policy. I await Baylor to step up and take responsibility for the stigma and prejudice it supports, indeed legislates. I will not hold my breath…

Reaction Score
I read this whole article, and why any athlete would want to specifically play for Mulkey, or more generally attend Baylor, is beyond me.

Regarding Mulkey - she lied to Griner about Baylor policies on sexuality, told her there were no problems, then forced her to hide sexuality for four years.

Not how I read it.
Mulkey she had no problem with it. That is more or less correct. I mean, it's not like she was Rene Portland.

I didn't take her comments as referring to Baylor policies. In fact, I assumed part of the reason Griner asked was specifically knowing what kind of school Baylor was.

I still find it hard to believe that the Griners had no clue that Baylor was anti-gay.

Reaction Score
I actually think the Baylor policy is probably no different from the policy of lots of religiously affiliated schools. the difference is the degree to which they enforce those policies. Notre Dame,as a Catholic institution, likely has a policy in line with Catholic Church teaching on this matter. But they also more or less ignore it. And they in fact have a GLBTG association on campus. Though if you ask their "official" position they'll say it is "disordered." In the same way they likely ban pre-marital sex, they hardly care in real life. For a long time the campus pharmacy didn't fill birth control perscriptions even if they were issued by doctors in the schools own health center. Now they do, though not for birth control purposes wink wink.

Reaction Score
I actually think the Baylor policy is probably no different from the policy of lots of religiously affiliated schools.

I doubt that.

Catholic schools are very mainstream.

BYU suspended a male basketball player for having pre-marital sex. I tend to believe that Baylor is on the BYU side of the spectrum.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What I took for this article, what the article is about mostly, is someone who knew who she was and is finally able to be who she is and can be. I love the quote:
"You just have to look at it in a different way."

and I love the photography - she looks terrific!

Reaction Score
I find the article very interesting in light of the fact I said in a previous topic on BG that Mulkey was intellectually dishonest and was criticized for that by several member of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Certainly I wouldn't want someone to be discriminated against and I'm not sure what side to take. Baylor's policy is not and was not secret. If Griner was so miserable, she was free to transfer at any point from Baylor. Or she could've taken the Epiphany Prince route and gone pro overseas. She never did.

Is it crazy for me to think that over four years, Mulkey probably did Griner a lot of favors in various areas? Many coaches tend to do that for their players.

I don't think any of us really know what Mulkey may have or have not said. My impression is that there are people that really want to make her the villain. She doesn't do herself any favors with her public persona, but I'm willing to not judge her on this because I'm not really sure what the truth is. Now, if you want to judge her on recruiting violations, that's something different. She and Griner are strange "bedfellows" to say the least.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I find the article very interesting in light of the fact I said in a previous topic on BG that Mulkey was intellectually dishonest and was criticized for that by several member of the Boneyard.
really? You need some kind of validation?

Reaction Score
I sort of doubt they are that far out there. But that was my point about the Catholics. Generally speaking there is a pretty wide difference between their "official" stance on thing and how they actually act. I agree that Baylor is not quite as wide, but it is slowly heading that way, too. Providence for example only allows the gay students organization to function as an "educational organization" to promote anti-discrimination policies, not officially as a "social" organization. So it officially limits what kinds of things they can do and sponsor on campus. A speaker on gay rights would be ok but a dance would not be for instance, though I don't think anyone particularly enforces that. Baylor just allowed a gay students group recently, I think on similar grounds. BYU doesn't allow anything like that. Actually I suspect that if you looked at them, you would find a great disparity among the Catholic schools on this issue. Many would be mainstream while others would be pretty far right.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Not how I read it.
Mulkey she had no problem with it. That is more or less correct. I mean, it's not like she was Rene Portland.

I didn't take her comments as referring to Baylor policies. In fact, I assumed part of the reason Griner asked was specifically knowing what kind of school Baylor was.

I still find it hard to believe that the Griners had no clue that Baylor was anti-gay.

I don't think she was OK with it, I think she just wanted the best player in the country and held her nose to get her. For instance, if you were "OK" with her being gay then BG would not go on to say that: "the coaches thought if it seemed like they condoned it , people wouldn't let their kids play for Baylor."

Reaction Score
I don't think she was OK with it, I think she just wanted the best player in the country and held her nose to get her. For instance, if you were "OK" with her being gay then BG would not go on to say that: "the coaches thought if it seemed like they condoned it , people wouldn't let their kids play for Baylor."

As I said, not how I read it. But I prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Can I become a UCONN fan?

The quote from Griner's dad is very disturbing. I am having a very difficult time liking Mulkey at the moment.

Yup :).

Although, her father isn't the best person to be throwing out quotes about Mulkey given that he was her father and effectively through BG out of the house only to return to the picture when, in her words, she started performing better in sports (so what's in it for him?). Aside from her mother, brothers, sister, and a very small group of friends at Baylor, it seems like BG really lacked a support group, including her own coach which really makes you feel for her. I am very happy that she has found her voice and confidence post-Baylor.

Reaction Score
Do you think all this DRAMA is a good way to promote one self and their career?

How awful could it have been for the four years she endured Kim Mulkey? Victim only goes so far 'til it becomes pathetic.

Reaction Score
I hope and wish only happiness for her and she desires only the best. Its too bad we have so many idiots who only want to ruin somebodies else's life. God Bless BG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom