More ESPN silliness | The Boneyard

More ESPN silliness

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Many of us have pointed out the perceived anti-UConn bias on ESPN. The silliness reached new heights this morning on the Women's College Basketball web page. I visited to see if there was a story on the game or about Aubrey. No featured stories but there was a highlight featured as part of Wednesdays Best: The Creighton buzzer beater that didn't beat the buzzer and didn't count. Still posted a full 12 hours after the game. Not Paige's super efficient 3 point shooting, not the fantastic Ice to Paige to Ash play, but a shot that didn't count by a team that lost by 40.

Reaction Score
ESPN really goes out of the way to give UConn any praises. It’s really nauseating the hype other teams are getting, many playing pathetic schedules, yet ignoring the coaching Geno is doing right now, transforming this team on every twist and turn. For that matter, the AP polls have a blind eye too! This team is really getting their act together, and even without Aubrey, we have several good players in line about to step up big time. Ice and Q are getting ready to have their breakout games! Watch out ESPN, you’re missing an incredible story developing!

Reaction Score
Maybe they will add that clip to the opening reel for all of the ESPN wbb games, sort of like the clips of Morgan Williams’ and Arike Agumbowale’s buzzer beaters that we had to relive over and over again before every game they broadcasted. But there is no bias here. :confused:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wonder what network has the contract to show UConn?

3A164F10-9298-4291-AF39-7223C1AA808F.jpeg

Reaction Score
A little math:
At that current trend, if Paige lets say, took 34 shots (20 3's and 14 2's) How many points would she score? Hmmm
.72 x 20= 14.4 x 3 = 43 points
.67 x 14= 9.3 x2 = 19 points.
She would score 62 points before foul shots. She might get a nod on ESPN.
( I know, I have too much time on my hands)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Many of us have pointed out the perceived anti-UConn bias on ESPN. The silliness reached new heights this morning on the Women's College Basketball web page. I visited to see if there was a story on the game or about Aubrey. No featured stories but there was a highlight featured as part of Wednesdays Best: The Creighton buzzer beater that didn't beat the buzzer and didn't count. Still posted a full 12 hours after the game. Not Paige's super efficient 3 point shooting, not the fantastic Ice to Paige to Ash play, but a shot that didn't count by a team that lost by 40.
Ice to Paige to Ash, posted by ESPN:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Meh. I think it's somewhat a labor and priority situation - who and how many people work on the women's & olympic webpages, versus the NFL, NCAAF, MBB pages. A while back, it took "forever" for ESPN to update WBB recruit commitments.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ATTENTION-there is no conspiracy against UConn. ESPN has the NCAAT rights and has supported UConn to the level that other schools and conferences call ESPN the "UConn Network" so I simply don't see any rationale bias here.

What we have is perceived bias by fans (as in fanatic) who want to see their team's results listed.

Yes, UConn is the Alpha of WCBB programs but that doesn't mean EVERY game and activity has to be documented by ESPN or perceived as a slight when it isn't.

Keep winning and playing well and publicity will follow. Again, the sport is deeper and more talented than it was even 7 years ago that there are many deserving teams, players and coaches besides the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Still doesn't explain a high light reel of a buzzer beating shot that clearly was not
"Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity" and ESPN has huge quantities of incompetence and stupidity.

As a Notre Dame alum I would agree with the "Uconn network" label just as NBC is the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation in football.

I get less excited about the polls because they only change at the rate of a glacier divided by 10. Besides with the tournament teams get a better chance to play up to their potential.

Reaction Score

Oh, but "Baylor Dominates TCU....." is there as a headline on ESPN. It's not too obvious, is it.

Reaction Score
ATTENTION-there is no conspiracy against UConn. ESPN has the NCAAT rights and has supported UConn to the level that other schools and conferences call ESPN the "UConn Network" so I simply don't see any rationale bias here.

What we have is perceived bias by fans (as in fanatic) who want to see their team's results listed.

Yes, UConn is the Alpha of WCBB programs but that doesn't mean EVERY game and activity has to be documented by ESPN or perceived as a slight when it isn't.

Keep winning and playing well and publicity will follow. Again, the sport is deeper and more talented than it was even 7 years ago that there are many deserving teams, players and coaches besides the Huskies.
You’re right, but I don’t have to like it. :D

Reaction Score
Just in case you missed it. It highlights all those teams and ignores Uconn because of its business model, which is to value profits over everything else. ESPN and the fledging NCAA are in bed now since they just agreed on a new TV deal so consequently ESPN is hyping up its product to make money. Is there a valid reason to promote Uconn when they are the winningest program ever and are universally well-known and respected with a fan base that follows them religiously? They would simply be preaching to the choir. They need to hype up all of the NCAA basketball programs for ratings and revenue. It's always about the money so follow it and all your questions will be answered. The deal BTW is for nearly 40 billion $920 million to be exact, for 8 years covering 40 championships.

Reaction Score

I am still confused. Did that shot count in the final score or did they review it and take it off the score at some point?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I am still confused. Did that shot count in the final score or did they review it and take it off the score at some point?
It was reviewed during the halftime and waived off, Alan stated that at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. This is due to one of the rule changes this year, instead of stopping the clock or delay the game the refs are allowed to review scoring plays during commercial breaks or between quarters and adjust the score if needed.

Reaction Score
Still doesn't explain a high light reel of a buzzer beating shot that clearly was not;)

ESPN also got put on blast for a brief example of indecent exposure during one of the semis for the football championship. They don't always have the swiftest people manning the switchboard. It happens.

Reaction Score
Just in case you missed it. It highlights all those teams and ignores Uconn because of its business model, which is to value profits over everything else. ESPN and the fledging NCAA are in bed now since they just agreed on a new TV deal so consequently ESPN is hyping up its product to make money. Is there a valid reason to promote Uconn when they are the winningest program ever and are universally well-known and respected with a fan base that follows them religiously? They would simply be preaching to the choir. They need to hype up all of the NCAA basketball programs for ratings and revenue. It's always about the money so follow it and all your questions will be answered. The deal BTW is for nearly 40 billion $920 million to be exact, for 8 years covering 40 championships.

This theory doesn't explain the attention Clark is getting considering the Big 10 is no longer broadcast by ESPN. They had no issues broadcasting clips from Peacock/NBC.

Like someone else said, there have been claims of an unholy partnership between ESPN and UConn in the past, which Boneyarders will debunk whenever it was brought up. Now it's the other way around? So which is it as it can't be both.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This theory doesn't explain the attention Clark is getting considering the Big 10 is no longer broadcast by ESPN. They had no issues broadcasting clips from Peacock/NBC. In
Oh but don't you see? So intense and unstinting is ESPN's hatred of UConn that they'll go out of their way to promote a Big Ten player solely because that player is Paige's rival for national awards. It all makes sense if you think a little more deep state. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh but don't you see? So intense and unstinting is ESPN's hatred of UConn that they'll go out of their way to promote a Big Ten player solely because that player is Paige's rival for national awards. It all makes sense if you think a little more deep state. :rolleyes:
Bastards.

Reaction Score

Wish I was on my computer to include GIF right now.

The lack of attention, snub, etc., theories don't make a lot of sense to me. I get some fans feel like the team's being snubbed, but in reality is ESPN coverage that important right now?

Yes, ESPN is a business and will promote their brands more than others. That's their right. But I thought UConn fans cared more about the team being one of the best in the country than how many videos and articles media outlet posts about the team.

Pretty sure the team couldn't care less themselves. It sounds like people are getting their knickers in a bunch for something that's really superficial when you look at the overall picture.

Reaction Score
Wish I was on my computer to include GIF right now.

The lack of attention, snub, etc., theories don't make a lot of sense to me. I get some fans feel like the team's being snubbed, but in reality is ESPN coverage that important right now?

Yes, ESPN is a business and will promote their brands more than others. That's their right. But I thought UConn fans cared more about the team being one of the best in the country than how many videos and articles media outlet posts about the team.

Pretty sure the team couldn't care less themselves. It sounds like people are getting their knickers in a bunch for something that's really superficial when you look at the overall picture.
Well, when you put it that way...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn is the 12th ranked team and, seemingly, fading while others make their charge to the top. So, ESPN covers those teams because they’re generating a lot of interest, i.e. eyeballs on their channels.

I remember 20-some years ago the angst among the LV fans as UConn sucked up all of the media coverage. It’s the same deal. People like shiny new things; dynasties are boring. Just ask any non-Yankee fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom