More conference realignment Hunger Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More conference realignment Hunger Games

Reaction Score
(JUST KIDDING). It is rumored that the B1G moved one step closer to fulfilling its long term desire to capture the New York viewing market by extending offers to join the conference to the New York Giants and the Jets. It is also rumored that the two NFL teams are seriously considering the offer since it may be their last chance to have a winning season. Apparently they also wanted to include the Pats in the deal, but that was quickly squashed by BC who believe they own the football rights to all New England. (JUST KIDDING)

Reaction Score
MBB has a ways to go before it returns to real relevance. Football the nation's worst BCS program.
MBB programs can and do ebb and flow in pretty short cycles. One or two players can jumpstart a rise without limit when matched with the right coaches.

Real Relevance. No worries…UCMBB remains relevant. And even real.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder how long it will take for the football powers to just quit pretending, incorporate, drop any NCAA connection/rules, and become independent of their parent schools - paying a 'franchise' fee to the schools to keep their names while doing away with any problematic academic nonsense. That way they can draft HS students, pay them, trade them, and keep them longer than 4 years if they don't jump into the draft.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just praying that when the musical chairs eventually stop, UCONN has a seat at one of the major tables.
Why would any of the money making conferences want UCONN? What UCONN assets would make UCONN attractive to a P5? What assets are any of P5 conferences seeking? Rank the assets by importance. Are their any coveted assets other than money earning/generating potential?

Reaction Score
Well if this can happen, no reason why Gonzaga can't join the Big East....

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Why would any of the money making conferences want UCONN? What UCONN assets would make UCONN attractive to a P5? What assets are any of P5 conferences seeking? Rank the assets by importance. Are their any coveted assets other than money earning/generating potential?
Why the dislike of a perfectly reasonable question? I really want to understand what you see as UCONN's assets as seen by a P5 conference and how they may or may not align with the desired assets again from a P5 conference's perspective.

Reaction Score
Florida State and Clemson set to join Sec according to Florida st insider. North Carolina is the next big fish.

Reaction Score
Florida State and Clemson set to join Sec according to Florida st insider. North Carolina is the next big fish.
Big 10 considerations:
Notre Dame
UNC
UVa
GaTech
Miami
Duke
Boston college
Syracuse
Kansas

SEC considerations
Notre Dame
FSU
Clempsun
NC State
VaTech
Pitt
Okie State
Iowa state
West Virginia

Reaction Score

LOL....The Twitterverse has nutcases that thrive on nonsense....

Sure, FSU and Clemson would love to go to a super SEC...but there are no plans. The GOR looks to be a sentence that can not be commuted.

The Dudes, MMA3's, and every other clown that wants clicks will be burning up keyboards for a while because even those not gullible will click to see if anything comes up.

Those close to FSU know nothing is going on....

Reaction Score
But...yes..RegalNole claims to be an ACC insider and he has claimed on the webz for a year that the pieces will fall into place and there will be a Super League that will include FSU and Clemson...he did predict that the B1G would move on the PAC 12 (along with 10,000 others).

My next door neighbor here in North Carolina is vacationing at his cabin and we have drinks on the porch. He is an Associate AD at FSU. Either he is kept in the dark or is a great poker player.

Reaction Score
The thought among many fans is that Fox is solidifying their property (Big Ten) and ESPN must keep up in the arms race with their property (SEC).

SEC takes Texas and Oklahoma...B!G takes USC and USC....your move Mouse.

Reaction Score
Don't laugh, I think I saw an alien just last night, :eek: and another one this morning. :confused:

Oh by the way......................Durant has requested trade from Nets. :eek:
I've seen hundreds of Alien, but only one being from outer space. I was in Central Park and a being came up to me --hand held out--as I got close, it went black, when I remembered again--I had the essence of being in a vehicle in space. Beings not of this earth were doing things to me--things too far out to explain. Only once. I never went back to Central park.. They were not aliens, we are in space. No I don't laugh...
Did I mention the bottle in his hand, we drank long and hard on that before my brain went dark?

UHF

Reaction Score
The thought among many fans is that Fox is solidifying their property (Big Ten) and ESPN must keep up in the arms race with their property (SEC).

SEC takes Texas and Oklahoma...B!G takes USC and USC....your move Mouse.

Next round of TV contract negotiations is going to be insane. E$PN might have to reduce coverage of a sport - or even drop a sport - in order to afford the $EC in the future.

Disclaimer. I know nothing. Just throwing out a wild opinion. Fire away. But be gentle.

;):cool::p:D:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, can't say I like any of this, but I guess it was inevitable. As far as football in concerned, it looks to me like you are going to end up with the Power 2 and will essentially be the junior circuit to the NFL. I don't know that the same will be true of MBB. If MBB and other sports get "decoupled" from the football vortex, it might allow things to return to some sort of sanity, but since money is involved, I rather doubt it.

When the smaller DI schools can no longer compete monetarily, some sanity may return in the form of more logical regional conferences and rivalries like what we have in NCAA Divisions II and III now. This could make for some nice competition. Unfortunately it will be very difficult for fans to access compared to what we have now available to us. Streaming services over the web could possibly address this void moving forward.

Reaction Score
Could they take us pro bono? (No, I am not referring to Sonny, rest his soul.)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
MBB programs can and do ebb and flow in pretty short cycles. One or two players can jumpstart a rise without limit when matched with the right coaches.

Real Relevance. No worries…UCMBB remains relevant. And even real.
MBB not back yet. The Big East losing it's best coach and another top coach hurts
The return to the BE was a negative for the football program.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Both the SEC and the B1G covet non-revenue generating assets when considering new members..

For example, the B1G places a high value on future members already having AAU membership. The SEC places high value on Southern flagships in states contiguous to current member states (preserves regional integrity).

For those reasons above, I think if the B1G expands further they’ll look at ND (not AAU), Oregon, Washington and possibly UNC/Duke. The SEC is likely looking at the NC schools, along with the VA schools, and Clemson.

A lot of the next round of expansion will be determined by what happens with the ACC. Will they band together and fortify the league or will the entire thing fall apart? If the latter happens then it’ll be a mad dash between the SEC and B1G to secure the best schools.

Reaction Score
These expanded conferences are being created by the media, not the conferences. This is all about maximizing advertising revenue and UConn does exist in a prime market region. There are a lot of bad P-5 football programs.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This study sought to estimate how conferences value program ranking and program popularity when adding conference members. The paper is an interesting read, at least the parts I read. Zipping to the conclusion: “We find evidence suggesting that Power Five conferences, those who drive conference realignment, have preferences for football programs with larger potential fan bases, but do not necessarily prefer winning football teams.”
Well UCONN does have a perrenial losing football program. One box checked! ;):rolleyes: So how does UCONN make a case for a potentially large football fan base? Is there quantative evidence showing the popularity of UCONN's existing football program? Does UCONN draw well from the Northeast states? This is very important since the words are “larger potential fan base” and Connecticut is not a populous state. Could the national popularity of the UCONN women's basketball program be leveraged? Can it be quantified?
Competition Among Athletic Conferences for New Members

Both the SEC and the B1G covet non-revenue generating assets when considering new members..
For example, the B1G places a high value on future members already having AAU membership. The SEC places high value on Southern flagships in states contiguous to current member states (preserves regional integrity).
For those reasons above, I think if the B1G expands further they’ll look at ND (not AAU), Oregon, Washington and possibly UNC/Duke. The SEC is likely looking at the NC schools, along with the VA schools, and Clemson.
A lot of the next round of expansion will be determined by what happens with the ACC. Will they band together and fortify the league or will the entire thing fall apart? If the latter happens then it’ll be a mad dash between the SEC and B1G to secure the best schools.

Reaction Score
These expanded conferences are being created by the media, not the conferences. This is all about maximizing advertising revenue and UConn does exist in a prime market region. There are a lot of bad P-5 football programs.
UConn will end up with what remains of the ACC after the B1G and SEC have their pick of the litter. It will be a 2nd tier conference but better than what we are in now.

Reaction Score
This is good for UConn if the goal is to ever get into a P5 conference. In terms of revenue, you’d need to be in the SEC or Big 10.. schools in that league are about to make close to $100 million a year in revenue for ATHLETICS when the new media deals are renegotiated. There are already rumors of pressure on UNC to breach that 2035 contract and bolt for either the Big 10 or SEC. ACC is ripe for poaching.

I’m not sure you guys have a shot at the Big Ten… but you guys should definitely be angling for the ACC or the Big 12. Both leagues will be looking for members very soon.
Really? 11 championships and Uconn should be settling for the ACC or Big 12? The ACC and Big 12 probably won't be viable conferences in a couple of years. Think ACC. Uconn belongs in the SEC OR BIG10.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East deserves a little more respect, at least with regard to WBB. We sent 4 teams to the tournament, three advanced, two made it to the Elite Eight, and one was in the NC game. I think a case could be made for Marquette having been included, too. The Big East went 9-4 in the tournament, which is better than the Pac 12 the Big 10 or the Big 12 did.

ACC and SEC were clearly more competitive. It just irritates me to see those other conferences consistently rated higher than the Big East. This last year, it was the third most competitive as measured by NCAA tournament success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom