More conference realignment Hunger Games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

More conference realignment Hunger Games

Reaction Score
It’s not about being competitive in football. It’s about packing large stadiums with money spending alums and tv eyeball. Duke doesn’t to that in football
then why is Vanderbilt in the Sec?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke might be happy in a basketball conference...Coach K wanted that.

Their main national success has been in men's basketball, women's lacrosse, women's golf (they have six NC's since 2000), women's tennis....a country club set.

With the way your football program has been doing, Florida State might feel the same way.

Reaction Score
then why is Vanderbilt in the Sec?
They met all the criteria 90 years ago. SEC has never kicked a school out, though there is no GOR and any school can resign it’s membership with no financial penalty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They met all the criteria 90 years ago. SEC has never kicked a school out, though there is no GOR and any school can resign it’s membership with no financial penalty.
The Big East conference and Temple aside, how often has a conference actually kicked out schools? I don’t remember it happening.

Reaction Score
The Big East conference and Temple aside, how often has a conference actually kicked out schools? I don’t remember it happening.
Though they were not technically kicked out of the Big East because they were not a member yet, but when Penn State was refused entry into the Big East that was like being kicked out and it started the ball rolling for the eventual breakup of the Big East as a P5 football conference. If you look back it has to be the most stupid move ever in the history of college sports.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt was a founding member of the SEC... you think they are gonna kick them out?
Did I ever think Usc or UCLA would join a great lakes conference? Norm in college sports in 2022 is out the door. Vanderbilt better hope they at least keep doing well in baseball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Though they were not technically kicked out of the Big East because they were not a member yet, but when Penn State was refused entry into the Big East that was like being kicked out and it started the ball rolling for the eventual breakup of the Big East as a P5 football conference. If you look back it has to be the most stupid move ever in the history of college sports.
They were a partial member, football only if I recall correctly. I don’t agree that not inviting someone is the same is kicking them out, but wholly agree that the failure to invite Penn State was an epic mistake that started the ball rolling toward the conference’s eventual demise.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt was a founding member of the SEC... you think they are gonna kick them out?
That doesn't mean that the SEC hasn't been in serious discussions these last few weeks as to whether booting Vandy is viable. That would leave a nice open space for markets that ESPN really wants in the fold such as Oklahoma (State) and West Virginia (the DC market). But in reality booting schools is bad business, sets a bad precedence and is a bad example for every college in the conference, newly accepted colleges, and colleges in other conferences. Don't expect it to happen before or after the new contract. Make no mistake though, ESPN wants that DC market, and it's going to get it for that new contract. ESPN lost 25 million subscriptions the last few years and they're going to be looking for some way to add viewers.

Reaction Score
They were a partial member, football only if I recall correctly. I don’t agree that not inviting someone is the same is kicking them out, but wholly agree that the failure to invite Penn State was an epic mistake that started the ball rolling toward the conference’s eventual demise.
IIRC Penn State wanted in to the Big East in the worst way, Jopa wanted that East Coast exposure just as bad as the Midwest. Several of the catholic basketball schools voted against inviting Penn State, but cannot remember which ones. I don’t remember if it was Mike Tranghese or Dave Gavitt or someone else who stated “the Big East Conference will rue the day that Penn State was turned down for membership”.

Reaction Score
Still...in 2022 ESPN had their best first quarter viewership in five years...with prime time up 40%

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Still...in 2022 ESPN had their best first quarter viewership in five years...with prime time up 40%
Noted. But viewership and subscribers are two very different things. In 2021 ESPN lost 8 millions subscribers alone. They need new markets entries.

Reaction Score
IIRC Penn State wanted in to the Big East in the worst way, Jopa wanted that East Coast exposure just as bad as the Midwest. Several of the catholic basketball schools voted against inviting Penn State, but cannot remember which ones. I don’t remember if it was Mike Tranghese or Dave Gavitt or someone else who stated “the Big East Conference will rue the day that Penn State was turned down for membership”.
St Johns Georgetown, and Villanova were the no votes. Gavit wanted them in because he knew that eventually they needed football to survive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom