Mora on Rosa “Well he’s our third string right now” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mora on Rosa “Well he’s our third string right now”

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Robert Burns was the FB who got more and more snaps at TB as the year went on. I am fairly certain Hunter Clark was brought in to be a FB, and not a short yardage TB. The Louisville transfer, Mitchell, is our short yardage TB, if we use a big body in that situation.
It felt like they realized a little late just how good Burns could be.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Any college team playing needs five backs at least as I remember a few times when the top backs went down and you needed a third-string or fourth-string like last year.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Rosa catching some passes too. Yards after catch would be excellent and it’s just another way to keep our best players on the field.

Reaction Score
Healthy, Houston was better than Rosa last year. Based on the size of both of them and Brewton, if we’re running the ball a lot there might be a lot of running back by committee
you continued to watch our team last year after Houston was hurt, right?

Didn’t Rosa set some kind of record for Touchdowns? He is a incredibly dynamic and have never seen a player like him at UConn when it comes to putting the ball in the end zone as a freshman.

When he ran the ball in from ~40 yard line in 2nd quarter of our bowl game with no blockers, there are few players that could make that run.

Houston is awesome, so is Brewton but let us not diminish Rosa’s accomplishments as a freshman.

Reaction Score

Didn’t Rosa set some kind of record for Touchdowns? He is a incredibly dynamic and have never seen a player like him at UConn when it comes to putting the ball in the end zone as a freshman.

When he ran the ball in from ~40 yard line in 2nd quarter of our bowl game with no blockers, there are few players that could make that run.

Houston is awesome, so is Brewton but let us not diminish Rosa’s accomplishments as a freshman.

Good God. I literally said in words of one syllable that I wasn't taking anything away from what Rosa did. I think Houston was better. I still believe that. We will see what happens this year.

Reaction Score
Rosa produced at a terrific level. He smells the goal line and scores.

Houston is awesome, so is Brewton but let us not diminish Rosa’s accomplishments as a freshman
Not to take anything away from Rosa but he hasn’t done anything jaw dropping….more than half of his tds came between 20-30 yards out, a guy his size, that’s light work..after a chunk of yards had been gained by other players.

Again, I ditto what was said earlier. We haven’t seen the full potential of our rb room due to COVID their first year and tons of injuries last year and perhaps Mora knows something we don’t by enlisting 2 other rbs on the depth chart.

I’m excited to see the 3 headed monster of rbs that each bring something different and exciting to the team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We have a bunch of good running backs and a tough experienced OL. What if we could complete some passes?

Mora has been consistent saying a better passing game is critical for this season.

With a good OLine and a solid core of backs as of now, a scrambling/running QB is less critical than a QB who can get the ball downfield and make quick, accurate short passes.

Reaction Score
Good God. I literally said in words of one syllable that I wasn't taking anything away from what Rosa did. I think Houston was better. I still believe that. We will see what happens this year.
We will see and got it.

Another poster said “most yardage gained by other players“ and Rosa basically pushing it in?

This I could not disagree with more - he is incredibly dynamic and one of the harder guys to tackle in the open field In Div 1 - certainly compared to other Freshman last year.

I think grinding out yards on 1st and 10 there are other players as good as Rosa but when you need a big play, something special to happen, Rosa brings magic to that position.

This is why he’s on the watch lists this year but agree, we’ll see what happens.

Reaction Score
b4406c4c79b3acaaffc6f610495a8808.jpg

It's called "Motivating."

Reaction Score
We will see and got it.

Another poster said “most yardage gained by other players“ and Rosa basically pushing it in?

This I could not disagree with more - he is incredibly dynamic and one of the harder guys to tackle in the open field In Div 1 - certainly compared to other Freshman last year.

I think grinding out yards on 1st and 10 there are other players as good as Rosa but when you need a big play, something special to happen, Rosa brings magic to that position.

This is why he’s on the watch lists this year but agree, we’ll see what happens.
I can agree he’s hard to tackle.
But.. ypc? He’s a hard nose runner so him basically “pushing it in” is exactly why he led in touchdowns. Can he go downfield as a lone back? We may never know fortunately because of the depth we have…all in all, we have speed guys and we have pound runners. The rb room is in a good place!

Reaction Score
Houston has breakaway speed. Give him a hole and he can go all the way on any play. Rosa isn’t that kind of runner. More of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type though he has had some good runs. We have a solid backfield with depth. Nice place to be.

GG

Reaction Score
Houston has breakaway speed. Give him a hole and he can go all the way on any play. Rosa isn’t that kind of runner. More of a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type though he has had some good runs. We have a solid backfield with depth. Nice place to be.
My son ran track against Mora in high school. He has breakaway speed.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
But.. ypc? He’s a hard nose runner so him basically “pushing it in” is exactly why he led in touchdowns. Can he go downfield as a lone back? We may never know fortunately because of the depth we have…all in all, we have speed guys and we have pound runners. The rb room is in a good place!
At least a couple of his turnovers came from him not going down when he probably should have. Hopefully, the more he plays, the less he'll want to take three extra hits for a two yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Reaction Score
Dude, I am kind of at a loss with comments on Rosa.

The only thing I can agree on is yes, 1st and 10, we have some other equally good options to push forward for 4-5 yards and yes, some superb talent at that position. But these other RB have trouble staying of the field, Rosa has not. That’s not a knock on them, just fact.

If there is anything UConn has struggled with the last 10 years it is putting the ball in the end zone. Rosa has continued to do it over and over again… Short yardage, medium and long - the kid finds the end zone like very few and I mean VERY FEW huskies have EVER found the end zone.

I think he’s going to play on Sundays and we should appreciate him while he’s here.

I also hope to see are other RB reach full potential.

If I never see Brewton put on a punt return team, that would be just fine for me!

Reaction Score
Wasn't he a 200m state champion his senior year?

Reaction Score
I think he’s going to play on Sundays and we should appreciate him while he’s here.
I appreciate all he did last year and hope he has a good season this year. But do realize he is 3rd on the depth chart at this point. I think he will be running back kicks and filling in when needed. The transfer portal has changed the landscape of all sports.
I truly hope he develops to a point that he makes the next level and wish him well.

Reaction Score
Dude, I am kind of at a loss with comments on Rosa.

The only thing I can agree on is yes, 1st and 10, we have some other equally good options to push forward for 4-5 yards and yes, some superb talent at that position. But these other RB have trouble staying of the field, Rosa has not. That’s not a knock on them, just fact.

If there is anything UConn has struggled with the last 10 years it is putting the ball in the end zone. Rosa has continued to do it over and over again… Short yardage, medium and long - the kid finds the end zone like very few and I mean VERY FEW huskies have EVER found the end zone.

I also hope to see are other RB reach full potential.

If I never see Brewton put on a punt return team, that would be just fine for me!
that’s fine, stay lost. I mean short and medium yardage Rosa has been phenomenal…he didn’t have very many long runs if any at all which is why I said 20-30 yards from the end zone is a cake walk for Rosa. He has power and endurance, other guys have speed and agility. They make quick decisions on cuts, follow lead blocks and it’s bye bye baby!

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> One hundred percent," Rosa said when asked if he was a better player now than the one who played against Marshall in the Myrtle Beach Bowl in December. "How? Because of the work I put in during the offseason, getting better every day whether it's in the run game or pass game. I'm bigger, faster, and stronger. I gained seven or eight pounds and didn't lose any speed. I can't wait.

"I got my feet wet last year and got to go out there and do my thing. I have games under my belt now and I'm more prepared." <-

-> Rosa will be part of the running back by committee plan that will include returning juniors Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton and graduate student Jalen Mitchell.

"Devontae, Brew, Victor, and now with Jalen in the mix, we feel good about all those guys," Mora said. "They're all a little different and that poses a problem for our opponents. They don't have the same style.

"And Victor is unique in that he's an angular runner and he runs with high knees and his elbows are out and he's tough to bring down. We love that about him. And he plays on special teams and catches the ball out of the backfield. I love where we're at in the running back position." <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom