Mora on Rosa “Well he’s our third string right now” | The Boneyard

Mora on Rosa “Well he’s our third string right now”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Surprised nobody is commenting on this. Starts at 4:15.

Reporter “He’s a big time playmaker tho”

Mora “He was last year…”

Sheesh, what’s the story here?

Reaction Score

Mora “He was last year…”

Non-story… First practice of fall camp. You don’t believe Jim Mora knows how to keep individual football players motivated and driven by now?

-> At running back, Mora revealed his depth chart, which has Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton on top and Victor Rosa third. All three made contributions last year and should factor into a committee, but lots of playing time is also open for guys like Camryn Edwards, a sophomore from Norwalk, and Louisville transfer Jalen Mitchell. “We ran the ball well [last year],” Mora said, adding that a key to offensive improvement this year will be getting better in the passing game. <-

Reaction Score

Mora “He was last year…”

What story?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Non-story… First practice of fall camp. You don’t believe Jim Mora knows how to keep individual football players motivated and driven by now?

-> At running back, Mora revealed his depth chart, which has Devontae Houston and Brian Brewton on top and Victor Rosa third. All three made contributions last year and should factor into a committee, but lots of playing time is also open for guys like Camryn Edwards, a sophomore from Norwalk, and Louisville transfer Jalen Mitchell. “We ran the ball well [last year],” Mora said, adding that a key to offensive improvement this year will be getting better in the passing game. <-
I hope you’re right, but Rosa never struck me as a kid who lacked motivation or discipline.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Healthy, Houston was better than Rosa last year. Based on the size of both of them and Brewton, if we’re running the ball a lot there might be a lot of running back by committee
Houston is crazy efficient, but I doubt his size holds up to a lead back role. Believe Brewton was pretty thick last year, but he’s incredibly short, have to wonder how that impacts his vision. Love the speed they both bring to the offense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think Mora wants his more senior RBs to get the first bite this year. Based on Brewton and Houston’s injury history Rosa will get plenty of snaps along the way. Talents like Mitchell and Edwards might be the guys most buried at this point. I hope for Mitchell’s sake he has some good games as our most physical back and a short yardage roll that works well.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Houston followed his blocks much better than Rosa. Rosa has great balance and the ability to bounce off tackles. There will be a 4 man rotation until someone gets hurt and then Edwards will become the 4th man IMO

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't this just a FB thing? Didn't Rosa pass the others through injury?

Reaction Score
Whoever holds up the best and doesn't cough up the rock will end up with the most carries. And when we keep winning they'll all be happy with their roles.

Reaction Score
Honestly third string at RB doesn't mean much this year with Houston and Brewton returning. There is little if any loss of production between all three of those guys. We will see all three fairly consistently.

Reaction Score
Isn't this just a FB thing? Didn't Rosa pass the others through injury?

Yes, the depth chart at TB when we started the year was Carter, Brewton, Houston and then Rosa. Rosa broke into the rotation when the guys in front of him were hurt. And I'm not taking anything away from how Rosa produced once Houston got hurt for the second time.

Reaction Score
Rosa is true every down back. I don't think the others are. Too small or slight to take the pounding or be effective pass blockers. Houston in particular would get lifted off the ground like a pee wee player in gang tackle situations and fumbled it once that way. He does however, elite speed and is a threat to take it the distance any time he touches it.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
In all fairness I think Rosa coughed up the ball more than the other 2 last season.

Reaction Score
In all fairness I think Rosa coughed up the ball more than the other 2 last season.
Every running back fumbles, that's not point. Out of all of them, he was the only that wasn't getting ragged dolled by defenders, and he was a true freshman.

Reaction Score
Every running back fumbles, that's not point. Out of all of them, he was the only that wasn't getting ragged dolled by defenders, and he was a true freshman.

Cam Edward at 5-10, 202 and Jalen Mitchell at 5-10, 210 would seem to have the physical statue to be every down backs.

I have no idea how good a player Hunter Clark is but at 5-11, 230, he has short yardage back written all over him.

Reaction Score
Well the fullback transfer didn’t either. Name escapes me at the moment.

Reaction Score
Robert Burns was the FB who got more and more snaps at TB as the year went on. I am fairly certain Hunter Clark was brought in to be a FB, and not a short yardage TB. The Louisville transfer, Mitchell, is our short yardage TB, if we use a big body in that situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom