Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its going to be hard for them to see min. their whole career with the edition of our class of 4 fresh (6) transfers but i can see molly seeing more playing time than irwin

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thank goodness Geno is running the team and not Boneyarders. How anyone can pass judgement on two freshmen's impact this year, much less an entire career, based on a combined 114 minutes of play is just beyond me.

Maybe they won't be stars, maybe they'll "just" be role players. I'd like to remind folks that Carla Berube was a role player, so was Kennitra Johnson, Meg Gardler, Kaili McLaren, Maria Conlon, Kiah Stokes, among others, along with the best role player on any roster anywhere - Kelly Faris. While never stars, these young women all contributed key moments. If that's "all" we're going to get from Kyla and Molly, call me satisfied.

Reaction Score
I have a slightly different question. Could a few more minutes of rest each game for the starters add up to a better rested team at the end of the year? Yes, I have watched Geno for many years and know this is typically not in the plans but I don't remember such a small team with so few subs that is getting pounded so hard each game.

I think he has answered this and the original question in an interview posted here, sometime back. To para.: the more players you put in the more disorganization you risk creating. Its a question of compliment, familiarity, etc. = time spent together on the court. This begs the question of what happens when there are potential AAs' on the bench. What about next year? Assuming Crystal starts, who of today's starters will sit and/or come off the bench: Gabby? Collier? Nurse? That will be a hard pill to swallow.

Reaction Score
Wow, there is a lot of negative sentiment in this thread about Molly and Kyla which I do not share, and I doubt that Geno does.

First of all, where do we get this idea that he "always" plays only 7 or 8 players? That has been true in the last few years at UConn, but I think that was because there has been a significant drop off in the contribution level of the specific players beyond the top 7 or 8. But in 2000 or 2001, and recently on the Olympic teams, he has been quite willing to spread the minutes when he had many players contributing at an approximately equal level. I think next year will be similar, and you will see a much longer bench.

Also, hasn't anyone noticed that Natalie Butler was outside the regular rotation last year, but is in that rotation this year and doing as well as could be expected? Being outside the top 7 or 8 is not a life sentence. For that matter, Gabby didn't play a ton of minutes in her freshman year (zero in the Stanford loss), and look at her now!

So why haven't Kyla and especially Molly gotten more minutes recently, especially since Geno said in a halftime interview on Sunday that he would prefer to substitute more than he has? I can only speculate, but my speculation is this:

• Kyla, mainly because she is lacking in foot speed and does not seem to be in top physical condition, looks like a long-term project. I do not foresee her getting significant minutes this year unless injuries or foul trouble make that necessary. She seems to be on course for a Heather Buck kind of career if she stays at UConn.
  • Molly seems to me to be an entirely different case. I was frankly quite surprised that Geno did not give her about 10 minutes or so on Sunday with Saniya absent. She is in great shape, works hard, plays tenacious defense, and can hit some jump shots. I'm sure she makes mistakes (maybe more than most freshmen because she is trying so hard), but I doubt that she would have given away a double-digit lead if she had played 10 minutes in the KSU game.
  • So I can only speculate that Geno is sending some sort of message to Molly -- maybe about calming down and letting the game come to her, and taking in more of what is going on around her so she doesn't miss opportunities? I really don't know.
I cautiously expect that Molly will get more minutes as the season continues, and hopefully follow a path similar to Natalie or Gabby.

Good golly, Miss Molly
Show us some ball
Cause when you rockin and a rollin
The coach'll make a call

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank goodness Geno is running the team and not Boneyarders. How anyone can pass judgement on a two freshmen's impact this year, much less an entire career, based on a combined 114 minutes of play is just beyond me.

Maybe they won't be stars, maybe they'll "just" be role players. I'd like to remind folks that Carla Berube was a role player, so was Kennitra Johnson, Meg Gardler, Kaili McLaren, Maria Conlon, Kiah Stokes, among others, along with the best role player on any roster anywhere - Kelly Faris. While never stars, these young women all contributed key moments. If that's "all" we're going to get from Kyla and Molly, call me satisfied.

Is it not much to call KF a role player, a s that term is used? I'd say she went from a "role player" recruit to a starter and a key player- though clearly not of Moore's calibre.

Reaction Score
You just never know. No one would have thought that Maria Conlon would go from somewhere around the 13th player on the team in 2001 to a starter on NC teams. And I am as big a Heather Buck fan as anyone, but didn't see her shutting down Griner for a victory over Baylor until it happened. All it takes is one game with foul trouble or the right matchup for any player on the bench to be the key ingredient.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a point of reference :Gabby Williams (lots of posters want her on an AA team) played zero minutes in the Stanford loss as a freshman when we could have used a quick athletic player in an OT game with players fouling out, and her take - I didn't do enough in practice to prove I could be trusted, I need to do better in practice. By the very end of her freshman year she had proved enough to the coaching staff that she got 5 minutes in the E8, 6 minutes in the semis, and 3 minutes in the finals. She had worked her way up to averaging 4 min per game!!! :eek::) (playing a full conference schedule she actually averaged 8 minutes per game that year, but not in competitive games)

Bent and Irwin actually played 5 minutes in an equally tough game against Baylor as freshman (game was the second of the season, the same as Stanford) in the first half. They are averaging at this moment two and one minutes per game - against a very tough opening schedule - 6 of 9 games against Sagrin top 25 teams. (And by the end of this month that will read 9-12.)

It really is very early in their freshman year to draw any conclusions, especially given the string of games Uconn has played. The coaching staff is dealing with an 'all change' team this season and their priority even in the 'easy' games of the first nine is helping the core seven players find their feet and establish rhythm and identity. Once they establish that, and get through this early season stretch of tough games, they can start worrying about things like working the other two freshman into games with starters and identifying the specific things they want those two players to be able to contribute consistently.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank goodness Geno is running the team and not Boneyarders. How anyone can pass judgement on a two freshmen's impact this year...combined 114 minutes of play is just beyond me.

Really? This reminds me of one of my favorite Newhart scenes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - 6-9 against Massey's and Sagrin's top 25 and LSU is coming in at #45 in Massey and #51 in Sagarin. Only Dayton (135/97) and Chattanooga 97/93) are outside the top 51 in either rating service. Definitely a decent SOS for Uconn!

Houston (223) at the end of January will be the first game against a team in the bottom half of the D1 field according to Massey. Tulsa (158) on 1/17 the first below 135.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FYI - 6-9 against Massey's and Sagrin's top 25 and LSU is coming in at #45 in Massey and #51 in Sagarin. Only Dayton (135/97) and Chattanooga 97/93) are outside the top 51 in either rating service. Definitely a decent SOS for Uconn!

Houston (223) at the end of January will be the first game against a team in the bottom half of the D1 field according to Massey. Tulsa (158) on 1/17 the first below 135.
UConn has played some really tough non-conference schedules in the past, but this year's schedule is the toughest by far IMO. 12 games in 45 days, 7 ranked teams and not a single cupcake among the 12 (Both Dayton/2015 & Chattanooga/2016 were recent NCAA tourney teams). For icing on the cake, add in SC in February.

Reaction Score
This year: the conference schedule will allow them to get minutes and development. Tournament time, we'll need Kyla more, but Molly will develop faster.
Next 3 years: Molly will develop into an integral part of the team as a shut-down 2 guard with a decent shot. Remains to be seen how many minutes Kyla gets with Batouly likely ahead of her.
After that: Molly will have a decent pro career and be a success in whatever she tries, because no one tries harder. Kyla's mom is a coach, and Kyla is getting the world's best education in coaching the next 4 years. Kyla's got the passion and intelligence to be a successful D-1 coach.

Given the embarrassment of riches that befell UConn after Molly and Kyla signed, it puts them in a slightly uncomfortable position. But both will take full advantage of the greatest opportunity in WCBB. Don't cry for them, Argentina.

Reaction Score
Thank goodness Geno is running the team and not Boneyarders. How anyone can pass judgement on a two freshmen's impact this year, much less an entire career, based on a combined 114 minutes of play is just beyond me.

There should be a way to give this a triple "like".

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
How can you tell? Geno won't give them quality minutes even with no bench. They played one minute each in a 20 point victory on Sunday. What message is that sending to these players?
The message it sends is simple, you have to work harder in practice and be better in order for the coach to trust you and play you in games. Everyone that has played for Geno has gotten that message at one point or another in their careers, except for Nykesha Sales, and she obviously didn't need it.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Does anybody think that Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin are not giving maximum effort every practice? My guess is that they are trying too hard, forcing the issue and not playing with confidence. Effort, not even remotely, is an issue. If I were to guess, Molly is turning the ball over too much and Kyla isn't shooting well and is having trouble guarding the dribble on defense. Sounds like normal freshmen stuff to me.

I read every post in this thread and still think Molly and Kyla should have gotten more time. How much? Subject to debate.

It sounds like I am second guessing an eleven time national champion. Far from it. He has commented several times about the lack of depth. I just think that the time to develop that depth is to give a little run to two struggling freshmen during non conference games in November and December. In the old days coaches used those games to sort out what they had and experiment a little.

I think the streak has made them a little reluctant to do that. Understandable but risky. Geno and his staff formed a really fun group to watch into national championship contenders. For it to happen, the entire roster must stay healthy. The more the minutes pile up the more likely a damaging injury will occur.

Reaction Score
If that is what you think than so be it. but with Diana just being on the court with her and being the type of player she is made all her teammates better than they really were. Instead of going by what LVF said ask the players who played with Dee.
Come on, man! Give Maria some credit. 9 assists and o trunovers in the Final Four. I couldn't do that with Dee and Maya on the floor. In any case it's fun to dream of Molly and Kyla becoming stars. Let's encourage these classy youngsters to give it their all. It's exciting to watch them striving do what others say can't be done. We appreciate that, ladies.

Reaction Score
This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't see either Bent or Irwin ever being rotation players at UCONN. Neither one was highly recruited, so I'm assuming each came in knowing it'd be a long shot that they'd log major playing time. Geno has so much talent coming in next year and builds his roster knowing there are going to be some players who will ride the pine their whole career but they'll work hard and be good teammates. Not everyone is a star, and that is okay. As long as they work hard, bring a positive attitude and are encouraging their teammates, theyll be fulfilling what was expect of them coming to UCONN. Anything more is gravy imo.
While i don't agree with some of what you say--I like the positive way you present it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anybody think that Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin are not giving maximum effort every practice? My guess is that they are trying too hard, forcing the issue and not playing with confidence. Effort, not even remotely, is an issue. If I were to guess, Molly is turning the ball over too much and Kyla isn't shooting well and is having trouble guarding the dribble on defense. Sounds like normal freshmen stuff to me.

I read every post in this thread and still think Molly and Kyla should have gotten more time. How much? Subject to debate.

It sounds like I am second guessing an eleven time national champion. Far from it. He has commented several times about the lack of depth. I just think that the time to develop that depth is to give a little run to two struggling freshmen during non conference games in November and December. In the old days coaches used those games to sort out what they had and experiment a little.

I think the streak has made them a little reluctant to do that. Understandable but risky. Geno and his staff formed a really fun group to watch into national championship contenders. For it to happen, the entire roster must stay healthy. The more the minutes pile up the more likely a damaging injury will occur.
Just wow! I don't recall ever reading a post with so many WILD%$&(!AS$$A) guesses. There are some posters on here that have actually gone to practice and have first hand knowledge of the things you are guessing on. But I'm guessing, never mind!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Respectfully, I really don't believe that the streak has anything to do with Geno's substitution pattern. I think it has more to do with Geno not wanting to put the youngsters into situations where they are in over their head. I am sure that Molly & Kyla are working hard in practice and their time will come once they get into conference play, admittedly vs lesser opponents, where they can build their confidence, and Geno's as well.

One other point to note. Geno hates to lose, so he is going to play the players who give UConn the best opportunity to win, regardless of the time of year, conference vs non-conference, etc. As many have pointed out, this pre-conference schedule is brutal, so Geno has had to play his best for big minutes in many of these games.

If UConn wants to win and get everyone lots of minutes during the pre-conference schedule, all they have to do is line up a bunch of cupcakes like Maryland does.

Reaction Score

Victor---I like the way you think! Good stuff!!
When you, as a coach, have limited and untested talent, you don't believe you have the luxury of putting in really unproven freshmen into games that stretches your resources. If they fall behind--do you have the talent to overcome that?? Probably not! So Geno waits for big leads and the AAC tourney.
Molly turns the ball over trying to emulate Dangerfield, she see's that Geno likes that kind of play. Molly could turn out to be a keeper and good to better PG. She has a decent shot. Defense, as with all frosh, is her Achilles heel. I think she has an upside. Kyla has an upside--but her lack of quickness and foot speed--is what Geno gets from Natalie who is bigger, has good hands , experience and can shoot. So who does Kyla sub for? My hope is this is all plain BS--and KYla and Molly--become outstanding players and are subbed in regularly near NCAA time.

Reaction Score
Just wow! I don't recall ever reading a post with so many WILD%$&(!AS$$A) guesses. There are some posters on here that have actually gone to practice and have first hand knowledge of the things you are guessing on. But I'm guessing, never mind!
Haven't seen so many Wild Asset guesses--?? Go back and read mine--now those are WILD!! I base all mine on my opinions--and you know how great they are!!! I haven't seen an opinion posted on the BY that I don't ultimately use as my own.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has said a million times he's not going to play someone unless he knows what he's going to get from them. It may be that Kyla and Molly have shown signs of nerves in games or freshman-type inconsistencies so the last thing Geno was going to do is put them on the court in a tight game on the road in front of 12,000 hostile fans. Maybe Molly and Kyla would have been fine but maybe they'd've been deers in the headlights. I don't know but more importantly, Geno didn't know either, which is my guess as to why he didn't put them in.

Reaction Score
I re-watched the Notre Dame earlier tonight, after two or three passes over the K-State game. It is remarkable to me how many times the pass to Nat seems to be juuusssstt a little bit beyond her grasp, that she is always trying to, or having to try to, catch the ball with her fingertips. Don't know what's going on there (speed of the game, balance residual hesitancy from thumb, etc.), but I'm sure it's frustrating for all concerned.
I've noticed this too. It seems that Nat just doesn't have "good hands." By contrast MoJeff has magnificent magnetic hands. Throw a ball within 6 feet of her and it finds her little outstretched hand and sticks to it. I'd swear I've seen balls off the mark curve into Mo's hand. Vol Nation might want to investigate this. Maybe Nat could talk to Mo about her hand soap. But, seriously, cleanly catching and securing the ball something Nat has to continue to work on if she is to reach her considerable potential.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I really don't believe that the streak has anything to do with Geno's substitution pattern. I think it has more to do with Geno not wanting to put the youngsters into situations where they are in over their head. I am sure that Molly & Kyla are working hard in practice and their time will come once they get into conference play, admittedly vs lesser opponents, where they can build their confidence, and Geno's as well.

One other point to note. Geno hates to lose, so he is going to play the players who give UConn the best opportunity to win, regardless of the time of year, conference vs non-conference, etc. As many have pointed out, this pre-conference schedule is brutal, so Geno has had to play his best for big minutes in many of these games.

If UConn wants to win and get everyone lots of minutes during the pre-conference schedule, all they have to do is line up a bunch of cupcakes like Maryland does.

Right ON!! By jove he's got it! Professor!!( Pygmalion???)
The last line still has me giggling!!!

Reaction Score
There were previous mentions of Geno not subbing because he wanted the starters to get more playing time together.

I think that is true, with the additional thoughts that Geno was looking to the NCAA's when he might not be able to substitute and he was using this as a way of getting the starters ready for that.

He said after the game that the players say they want to play for 40 minutes- now they see what it is like.

I also remember a rueful comment by Muffet after being defeated by UConn in the NCAAs that her game plan was based on the moment when UConn starting subbing...AND IT NEVER HAPPENED!

However, I think that Kyla and Molly could have been put in, as in the Baylor game. They will get a lot of playing time in league play and will be able to contribute, especially in the initial rounds of the NCAAs so that the starters will be fresh in the later games. I think that they could get some minutes then as well.

Reaction Score
This year: the conference schedule will allow them to get minutes and development. Tournament time, we'll need Kyla more, but Molly will develop faster.
Next 3 years: Molly will develop into an integral part of the team as a shut-down 2 guard with a decent shot. Remains to be seen how many minutes Kyla gets with Batouly likely ahead of her.
After that: Molly will have a decent pro career and be a success in whatever she tries, because no one tries harder. Kyla's mom is a coach, and Kyla is getting the world's best education in coaching the next 4 years. Kyla's got the passion and intelligence to be a successful D-1 coach.

Given the embarrassment of riches that befell UConn after Molly and Kyla signed, it puts them in a slightly uncomfortable position. But both will take full advantage of the greatest opportunity in WCBB. Don't cry for them, Argentina.

Wonderful, just wonderfull!
Good assessment--probably because it's in agreement with mine.
However --projecting into the future 3 plus years --my crystal balls have not been adjusted that far into the future--I'm not sure about Molly Wnba--my crystal says wait a while--. I wasn't as in tune with Kyla as you ---so i didn't see the coaching aspect--good call!
The highlighted ---wonderful just wonderful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom