Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year? | The Boneyard

Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Personally, I hope Molly and Kyla get some quality minutes after UCONN settles into conference play. Molly has game - she has shown hustle every minute she has played - hopefully she will be a regular sub for our starters. Kyla has height which could help against taller teams - especially during conference tournament and March Madness. I don't believe Geno will give her significant minutes against Ohio State, Maryland, or S.C. but I think he might test her against Nebraska.

Lastly, Butler is coming along. I like how Geno is bringing her in off the bench - after the opposing "bigs" have gotten a tad comfortable with UCONN's smaller lineup. I hope Natalie starts asserting herself a little more - she appears to lack the confidence to score in the paint - especially after getting an offensive rebound. She tends to look for an opponent to pass out to as her first alternative. Dolson took a little time to assert herself, but when she did, there was no looking back. I see the same in Butler.

Reaction Score
The short answer is no. Neither look ready to contribute in a big spot yet, imo.
How can you tell? Geno won't give them quality minutes even with no bench. They played one minute each in a 20 point victory on Sunday. What message is that sending to these players?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
How can you tell? Geno won't give them quality minutes even with no bench. They played one minute each in a 20 point victory on Sunday. What message is that sending to these players?

It's sending them the message that they aren't ready yet, the same message Geno has sent to countless freshmen before them. Lots of UConn freshmen have survived this message, worked hard and become major contributors to the team in their sophomore, junior and senior years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How did that work out for Courtney Ekmark? Geno only plays 8, always has and always will when crunch time occurs. Of course I would love to see Molly and Kyla however that is a long shot unless something unforeseen occurs. Next year will be even worse with 14 women on the roster-

Reaction Score
It's sending them the message that they aren't ready yet, the same message Geno has sent to countless freshmen before them. Lots of UConn freshmen have survived this message, worked hard and become major contributors to the team in their sophomore, junior and senior years.
I have a slightly different question. Could a few more minutes of rest each game for the starters add up to a better rested team at the end of the year? Yes, I have watched Geno for many years and know this is typically not in the plans but I don't remember such a small team with so few subs that is getting pounded so hard each game.

Reaction Score
I think they will get plenty of run during the AAC schedule. it is up to them to earn the trust to play in bigger games. the gauge of trust will be measured by how early they check in against South Carolina .

Reaction Score
Both were not highly recruited and were always viewed as role players at best. They are going to be over 4 years likely be the next Lawlor. Serve a role for energy, practice, etc...but will never be more than mop up time players. With the incoming class and eligible transfers next year, they will be the last 2 off the bench. Next year there will be 14 on the roster and the team will be legit 11 deep. There will be a tough battle for time in general beyond the 4 returning starters and Stevens will be the 5th starter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is not an easy situation finding important playing time for such a deep roster. I think the primary motivation of the UConn coaches must always be to try to improve the team for a NC run and that means that the top priority is to prepare our best players to play as a group in the toughest situations since it is that group that will have to play together in a deep tournament run. Unfortunately, this may reduce the minutes of even very good players to near zero except in blowouts or AAC conference games. My understanding is that UConn plays a very intuitive read and react style that even the upper level players have difficulty mastering and it does not help anyone to give a player time on the court unless they have proven they can do it at a high level in practice.

In the big scheme of things however, I imagine that any UConn player that finds themselves in this position and cant push themselves into the top 7 or 8 players in a regular rotation will not have the ability to make a "comfortable" career in basketball in the WNBA or overseas. The number of such opportunities is small (remember UConn is not the only school in the country and international players are also improving) and the big paydays overseas is limited to the best of the best.

Once this reality sinks in and it is a kindness to have reality set in, it then becomes an issue of what will make such a player happier.

Choice 1 is to be a small but appreciated part of a National Super Power playing to the best crowds and going to the white house (hopefully) where basketball is played at the best level and pushes players to be their best thereby developing great life building skills.

Choice 2 is to sit out to get significantly more playing time on a weaker program.

Clearly this is a hard decision and I do not begrudge anyone making a decision for more playing time but I imagine many will see the benefits of the UConn path. In any case, there is no need to feel guilty. Even players who go elsewhere will benefit from the BB and hard work lessons learned and the fitness levels they can use elsewhere.

Win-Win

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Come on! The team practices many, many more hours than game times. If you ever get a chance, go to a practice......you can tell which players are ready to contribute!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How can you tell?

I had great seats for the Chattanooga game, I saw enough to tell. And not just because the lousy foul shooting cost me wings.

Reaction Score
Edwards left b/c she didn't fit at UConn. That was not a playing time thing b/c she left like 10 games into frosh year. Edwards would have seen plenty of time last year and this year as the bench is really short. Ekmark is different, she got limited PT 2 years and then transferred. If she was ever going to get time it would have been this yr.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I've been looking but have yet to find any of the numerous articles where Geno talks about these two young women. He sure seemed to think that the sky was the limit for them then and hard to imagine that he, and the rest of the coaching staff could have been terribly wrong about them to the point that they'll both have to leave in order to play.

Reaction Score
Wait until the AAC conference. I have a feeling that Samuelson, Collier, Nurse, and Williams will go from playing over 30 minutes a game to about 20 minutes a game. I have a feeling that Bent, Irwin, Chong, and Butler will all see increased time. I saw Chong because I think her playing time will change... and she will hopefully score more...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wow, there is a lot of negative sentiment in this thread about Molly and Kyla which I do not share, and I doubt that Geno does.

First of all, where do we get this idea that he "always" plays only 7 or 8 players? That has been true in the last few years at UConn, but I think that was because there has been a significant drop off in the contribution level of the specific players beyond the top 7 or 8. But in 2000 or 2001, and recently on the Olympic teams, he has been quite willing to spread the minutes when he had many players contributing at an approximately equal level. I think next year will be similar, and you will see a much longer bench.

Also, hasn't anyone noticed that Natalie Butler was outside the regular rotation last year, but is in that rotation this year and doing as well as could be expected? Being outside the top 7 or 8 is not a life sentence. For that matter, Gabby didn't play a ton of minutes in her freshman year (zero in the Stanford loss), and look at her now!

So why haven't Kyla and especially Molly gotten more minutes recently, especially since Geno said in a halftime interview on Sunday that he would prefer to substitute more than he has? I can only speculate, but my speculation is this:

• Kyla, mainly because she is lacking in foot speed and does not seem to be in top physical condition, looks like a long-term project. I do not foresee her getting significant minutes this year unless injuries or foul trouble make that necessary. She seems to be on course for a Heather Buck kind of career if she stays at UConn.
  • Molly seems to me to be an entirely different case. I was frankly quite surprised that Geno did not give her about 10 minutes or so on Sunday with Saniya absent. She is in great shape, works hard, plays tenacious defense, and can hit some jump shots. I'm sure she makes mistakes (maybe more than most freshmen because she is trying so hard), but I doubt that she would have given away a double-digit lead if she had played 10 minutes in the KSU game.
  • So I can only speculate that Geno is sending some sort of message to Molly -- maybe about calming down and letting the game come to her, and taking in more of what is going on around her so she doesn't miss opportunities? I really don't know.
I cautiously expect that Molly will get more minutes as the season continues, and hopefully follow a path similar to Natalie or Gabby.

Reaction Score
Geno has given Molly and Kyla some time to show how they shall react in bigger games. Dangerfield was given the same opportunity, and while not super great, except Baylor, she has shown she belongs in a Uconn uniform and Div 1---lots to learn, and learning.

Molly and Kyla--did not have the benefit of lots of USA basketball at the next, intermediate, level up. That, if it comes, will be during the AAC portion of the schedule. Molly and Kyla and Butler and Chong will see loads of time during the AAC--20 minutes per game I would predict--Geno has shown a level of belief in Molly and plays her when he can---Kyla has had enough time to show she needs more experience and better defense.
It IS NOT ALL ABOUT GENO'S 8 PERSON ROTATION--that comes usually in March. Until then an idiot coach would not try to bring Molly, Kyla, Dangerfield, Natalie along to the point of having a sub who won't hurt you during the NCAA's No one here thinks Geno is an IDIOT.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think they will get good pt.... Like most recruits they have to sit , watch , practice hard , and learn. Then pt will come. Some progress faster than others. But the process is the same for all.

The players , and the BYers , all have to just be patient.

Reaction Score
Wow, there is a lot of negative sentiment in this thread about Molly and Kyla which I do not share, and I doubt that Geno does.

First of all, where do we get this idea that he "always" plays only 7 or 8 players? That has been true in the last few years at UConn, but I think that was because there has been a significant drop off in the contribution level of the specific players beyond the top 7 or 8. But in 2000 or 2001, and recently on the Olympic teams, he has been quite willing to spread the minutes when he had many players contributing at an approximately equal level. I think next year will be similar, and you will see a much longer bench.

Also, hasn't anyone noticed that Natalie Butler was outside the regular rotation last year, but is in that rotation this year and doing as well as could be expected? Being outside the top 7 or 8 is not a life sentence. For that matter, Gabby didn't play a ton of minutes in her freshman year (zero in the Stanford loss), and look at her now!

So why haven't Kyla and especially Molly gotten more minutes recently, especially since Geno said in a halftime interview on Sunday that he would prefer to substitute more than he has? I can only speculate, but my speculation is this:

• Kyla, mainly because she is lacking in foot speed and does not seem to be in top physical condition, looks like a long-term project. I do not foresee her getting significant minutes this year unless injuries or foul trouble make that necessary. She seems to be on course for a Heather Buck kind of career.
  • Molly seems to me to be an entirely different case. I was frankly quite surprised that Geno did not give her about 10 minutes or so on Sunday with Saniya absent. She is in great shape, works hard, plays tenacious defense, and can hit some jump shots. I'm sure she makes mistakes (maybe more than most freshmen because she is trying so hard), but I doubt that she would have given away a double-digit lead if she had played 10 minutes in the KSU game.
  • So I can only speculate that Geno is sending some sort of message to Molly -- maybe about calming down and letting the game come to her, and taking in more of what is going on around her so she doesn't miss opportunities? I really don't know.
I cautiously expect that Molly will get more minutes as the season continues, and hopefully follow a path similar to Natalie or Gabby.

JoePGH---I agree with what you say---we seems to be on the same wave length! Back in the day--when Geno had more talent than any coach should have---he subbed often and regularly--and nothing dropped off. So as you say the 8 team rotation is current .
I totally agree with Kyla.
Molly--Geno will give her time during the AAC---and have another sub for the NCAA's at guard--he in much of the KS game wasn't sure which way the game could go--and didn't need another two or 3 freshman turnovers--since I don't read minds that is just an opinion.
Next year all fans will see the 8 team rotation go the way of the doo-doo or the tumbler pigeon

Reaction Score

• Kyla, mainly because she is lacking in foot speed and does not seem to be in top physical condition, looks like a long-term project. I do not foresee her getting significant minutes this year unless injuries or foul trouble make that necessary. She seems to be on course for a Heather Buck kind of career.

It's not negative, It's called realistic. They are 3 star recruits, that means role player and mo up duty at UConn. Look up the 3 star recruits at UConn and what their careersat UConn. Geno knows a programs needs these players b/c they are often the spunky and energetic players. They work hard in practice as if they were going to start but know they realistically never will except on senior day. The other players also appreciate them and get excited when they make a good play even when the game is a blowout. It's a tip of the cap to their work that is unnoticed by the casual fan or viewer.

Reaction Score
johnnyc nailed it:
They already have.....as teammates and in practice.

People underestimate the importance of our bench players. Big Mama Steph would not have achieved her position if Heather Buck hadn't pushed her every day in practice (Big Mama's words). The Big Three found profound joy in cheering Polly's time on the court; camaraderie like that is PRICELESS. Both Polly and Heather had benches go NUTS when they scored in the NC game, a sign of how important they were to the team.

Let's not forget about the Valley sisters, Stacey Marron (who many anoint the Founder of the 3-Pointer High Five celebration), and so many, many others who are there for the Stars in practice, in the weight room, studying, at meal time...pushing, prodding, driving them to be the best that they can be for the Team. Or just being someone to talk to, confide in, commiserate over the latest bombardment of Geno-ese they have been subjected to.

In Men's ball, your bench players need to carry a 4.0; nothing more is needed. It's a MUCH more important position for the UConn Women's Basketball Team. No roster spot is wasted; everyone has value.

Reaction Score
Personally, I hope Molly and Kyla get some quality minutes after UCONN settles into conference play. Molly has game - she has shown hustle every minute she has played - hopefully she will be a regular sub for our starters. Kyla has height which could help against taller teams - especially during conference tournament and March Madness. I don't believe Geno will give her significant minutes against Ohio State, Maryland, or S.C. but I think he might test her against Nebraska.

Lastly, Butler is coming along. I like how Geno is bringing her in off the bench - after the opposing "bigs" have gotten a tad comfortable with UCONN's smaller lineup. I hope Natalie starts asserting herself a little more - she appears to lack the confidence to score in the paint - especially after getting an offensive rebound. She tends to look for an opponent to pass out to as her first alternative. Dolson took a little time to assert herself, but when she did, there was no looking back. I see the same in Butler.

Yes, they will impact UCONN's run this year by playing hard in the conference games when they get the time. The more they play, the better they will be and the more rest our core will get. I'm quite, they hustle hard in practice but aren't experienced enough in big games. But this year, they will impact the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom