Mohamed Bamba | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Mohamed Bamba

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's never too late to get in (or back in) on a recruit. Heck, a coach can step in in the last two weeks and take another school's top target. Stuff happens and it's defeatist to not even try. We can't afford to leave any stone unturned at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it is, but I wonder about the correlation. Do NBA scouts give UK players more attention or does UK just recruit players who NBA scouts will be looking at anyway?

The latter. Scouts are trying to supply their clubs with the best players available. They don't care if you sat on the bench for Kentucky or started at Vanderbilt. They are only concerned with what you are likely to do going forward.

Reaction Score
It's never too late to get in (or back in) on a recruit. Heck, a coach can step in in the last two weeks and take another school's top target. Stuff happens and it's defeatist to not even try. We can't afford to leave any stone unturned at this point.
I'm a @husky99 positive post away from being emotionally invested in this recruitment lol

Reaction Score
Great, another thread about a recruit that UConn has less than zero chance of getting.

Reaction Score
Weird, cuz we had a very good shot at Diallo, if that's what you're referring to.

No, we didn't. Believe all the self proclaimed recruiting gurus around here if you want to but there was no chance Diallo was going to UConn.

Reaction Score
Somebody gathered the data that over the time the Squid got to KY to the present, KY has had more top players than the UConn women.
Slightly different results.

Because the women stay 4 years and the men stay one. UConn may have 8 "top" players over a four year run. UK will have theoretically 4-5 new ones every year.

Reaction Score
Because the women stay 4 years and the men stay one. UConn may have 8 "top" players over a four year run. UK will have theoretically 4-5 new ones every year.

If you get the #1 in the womens game you're already competitive as we saw in Delaware with Elena. Gene gets the Top 10 players he needs then sprinkles in the pieces as good as anyone. But he does have the numbers as in top recruits - if you get 2 top 5's you're really good. He's just a better coach by far than the MD, Duke, Baylor coaches because they get the rest and can't beat him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You are right, Gabriel likely would have been able to showcase at UConn vs riding the bench at UK this year, but in my opinion saying "scouts wont favor him just because he went to UK" in my opinion is slightly false. I think guys DO get a bump in scout's eyes by simply wearing a UK jersey. Let me put it this way; Gabriel coming off the bench with minimal impact and minutes at UK still gives him late first round attention maybe this year or next, but him averaging tose same minutes and numbers on this current UConn team in my opinion would not. NBA scouts are treating Calipari right now as a senior NBA scout himself, when he identifies a guy he wants much of the league will look at that guy, simply put, differently.
The kids that are going into Kentucky are already looked at as first round/lottery picks out of high school Not much changes during their time at Kentucky. Same with most players at duke

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, we didn't. Believe all the self proclaimed recruiting gurus around here if you want to but there was no chance Diallo was going to UConn.

I think you're full of it. Honestly, if UConn was a one or two loss team, ranked in the top 15, I think he'd have picked UConn. We made the choice pretty easy for him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Excuse me.
Not more top players, higher rated players. But poor squid does have to reload every year. Meaning he sucks up about 4 times the number of top recruits as. Geno. And, they are higher rated.
Not to cross genders, but Geno is a better coach in his game than Cal is in his game.

Reaction Score
That's fine but I posted back in September that Diallo was going to Kentucky.

Great. But you were guessing. There were statements that he would play here that were clearly based on what Diallo himself was telling our players. Would it have been rational to go with your guess rather than words that were, third hand, emanating from the player himself?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That's fine but I posted back in September that Diallo was going to Kentucky.

4387467.jpg

Reaction Score
I think you're full of it. Honestly, if UConn was a one or two loss team, ranked in the top 15, I think he'd have picked UConn. We made the choice pretty easy for him.
I absolutely agree, but there was no chance of that happening. Even without losing Gilbert and Larrier this was a mediocre 18-20 win team at best. As soon as Calipari got in the mix it was over.

Reaction Score
Great. But you were guessing. There were statements that he would play here that were clearly based on what Diallo himself was telling our players. Would it have been rational to go with your guess rather than words that were, third hand, emanating from the player himself?

What a recruit says and what a recruit does are two entirely different things. The bottom line is that when Calipari got involved anyone could see the writing on the wall that Diallo was going to end up at Kentucky. As far as rational goes, I was basing my guess on a pretty clear track record that shows that Calipari gets who he wants the majority of the time, while others were basing their guesses off hearsay.

pj

Reaction Score
What a recruit says and what a recruit does are two entirely different things. The bottom line is that when Calipari got involved anyone could see the writing on the wall that Diallo was going to end up at Kentucky. As far as rational goes, I was basing my guess on a pretty clear track record that shows that Calipari gets who he wants the majority of the time, while others were basing their guesses off hearsay.

The bottom line is that if Hami had been of UConn/JC/KO character, eager to challenge himself and take the stairs not the escalator, he would have snubbed Calipari and enrolled in UConn in September 2016.

He wanted to take the escalator, and he believed Calipari's snake oil that enrolling at Kentucky would be enough to get him drafted. And so things went the way they did.

If Calipari beats UConn for players a majority of the time, it just proves that UConn character is a rare thing.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I know we don't appear to be in a good spot here...but can we change that? Lets put the press on. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't seem like there is anyone else we are in on...so might as well go for the big shot. Go see him. Put in some face time. Get that final official visit.

Bamba seemed to like KO at the USA Basketball stuff, right?

Reaction Score
I know we don't appear to be in a good spot here...but can we change that? Lets put the press on. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't seem like there is anyone else we are in on...so might as well go for the big shot. Go see him. Put in some face time. Get that final official visit.

Bamba seemed to like KO at the USA Basketball stuff, right?
Eh, I don't know. People killed KO for recruiting Diallo up until Saturday since apparently it was so obvious to everyone he was going to UK. I'd much rather have them focus on a guy like Olden and a grad transfer big that could actually come here and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom