MNT's 2021 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
Great win. Those kids played their asses off.

I don’t like all the things Gregggg has done but the guys play hard for him. I’m starting to enjoy watching this team again.

Also, can you believe Jason Kreis left Busio off the U23s?

I really like what I saw from Hoppe and even Acosta.

Reaction Score
Acosta and Robinson were absolutely amazing. Richards is going to have to kill it in the BuLi to keep Robinson off the field for qualifiers. Unless we switch to a 3ATB.

Reaction Score
Acosta and Robinson were absolutely amazing. Richards is going to have to kill it in the BuLi to keep Robinson off the field for qualifiers. Unless we switch to a 3ATB.

We will need the depth. Plus they will have to fight for time it will be good.

That free kick was a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
usa.jpg

Great summer for the MNT!! Really looking forward to see who get's the call for the first WCQ cycle in a months time. Acosta, Turner & Hoppe stood out for me in this Gold Cup. LOVED Hoppe's energy. Momentum and confidence going into the the big games!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great win. Those kids played their asses off.
Agreed. I really didn't think they would do this well. I thought it would have been great if they made the semi's. If they made the finals, it would have been amazing. To win it? Didn't even cross my mind.

Great effort, just grinding out the wins.

Reaction Score
Some guys showed well in the tourney. Turner should have won best player, he was great. Hoppe and Robinson should get looks for the qualifiers and a step down from that Dike (who was obviously hurtiing) and Acosta. Cannon didn't play much but we have seen enough that he belongs in the qualifiers.

Zardes didn't change my mind. Has anyone missed more point blank chances than Arriola?

Reaction Score
with the B team winning the Gold Cup and the A Team winning the Nation’s League we have the best two teams in CONCACAF.

Reaction Score
They have been better than us for a long time and they are better than anyone else except us.

They were better somewhere between 2016 and maybe now. That’s not that long. Before that, we kind of owned them.

Reaction Score
They were better somewhere between 2016 and maybe now. That’s not that long. Before that, we kind of owned them.

The USMNT and El Tri have faced off 71 times since 1934, with Mexico leading the all-time series 36-15-20.

In the last 11 years, Mexico has five wins, the U.S. has five wins, and the teams have combined for four draws. That means we only beat Mexico three times (in 12 games) before our two victories in 2021.

Reaction Score
Where would you see Mexico flaming out if a WC was played today? Group stage or round of 16?

We need to get into Copa America and roll with our A team to see where we stand

Reaction Score
The USMNT and El Tri have faced off 71 times since 1934, with Mexico leading the all-time series 36-15-20.

In the last 11 years, Mexico has five wins, the U.S. has five wins, and the teams have combined for four draws. That means we only beat Mexico three times (in 12 games) before our two victories in 2021.

Dos a cero baby.

Reaction Score
Dos a cero baby.
This year.

But it did seem like the turning of the page when Pulisic drew the penalty kick in OT. That game seemed like the first in a long time that Mexico wasn't the best team on the field.

Reaction Score
Didn't Mexico beat Germany in the WC 2 years ago? Seems improbable that they've totally lost it in 2 years. Far more likely that coaching and lack of passion figured in the result. But I'd also add that Mexico got punched in the face this game and did not respond well. They were pressed and hit in a way that the US never does. The US did to Mexico what Jamaica did to the US.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Turner deserves a shot at the #1 job based on his nations and Gold cup performances. Robinson, because our CB's are horrible, also deserves to start in the qualifying round.

Hoppe is not going to beat our any of the current pool of wingers, even Arriola in GGG's mind, but he deserves to be called up into qualifier camps with an eye on 2026 and maybe a bench spot in 2022.

Same for Gioacchini, Dike, though he will be in the mix based on a lack of someone else stepping up.

Shaq Moore also showed well, and should be in discussion for a backup role in 2022. Acosta is on the 1st team, in some fashion so no need to talk about him.

No one else has shown they are ready, but I still think Zardes is blocking players and shouldn't be in the mix. I don't care what Stu Holden has to say on the matter.

Bottom line is that other than Martinique, the minnow of minnows, they mustered 1 goal in each game, had trouble creating chances and were darn lucky not to have conceded multiple goals in each game. Turner made this defense look better than it really was.

GGG got away with playing his scrubs in the first half. It was a moronic move, regardless if it paid off or not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No one else has shown they are ready, but I still think Zardes is blocking players and shouldn't be in the mix. I don't care what Stu Holden has to say on the matter.
Yea, he is blocking players. But a lot of the players he is blocking, are not as good as he is....yet. So if you want to win games.....what you gonna do?

Reaction Score
Arriola shouldn’t be anywhere near this team going forward.
looks like Sargent is moving to Norwich which will be interesting to see him get on against prem defenders

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Turner deserves a shot at the #1 job based on his nations and Gold cup performances. Robinson, because our CB's are horrible, also deserves to start in the qualifying round.

Hoppe is not going to beat our any of the current pool of wingers, even Arriola in GGG's mind, but he deserves to be called up into qualifier camps with an eye on 2026 and maybe a bench spot in 2022.

Same for Gioacchini, Dike, though he will be in the mix based on a lack of someone else stepping up.

Shaq Moore also showed well, and should be in discussion for a backup role in 2022. Acosta is on the 1st team, in some fashion so no need to talk about him.

Bottom line is that other than Martinique, the minnow of minnows, they mustered 1 goal in each game, had trouble creating chances and were darn lucky not to have conceded multiple goals in each game. Turner made this defense look better than it really was.

GGG got away with playing his scrubs in the first half. It was a moronic move, regardless if it paid off or not.

Hoppe is an example of what I see as our overall problem. The talent is as high as it has ever been. But it's overly concentrated among the wingers. It seems like half of our best 11 are wing forwards. We have to find a way to deploy a talented guy like Hoppe, who showed some of the best passing and ball placement I've seen on this team in ages, in a midfield role. Sargent moving to the Premier league and I'd like to see how they use him. He sure didn't look like a striker for MNT. Aside from Reyna, I haven't seen much that encourages me about the midfield. Too much talent outside, not enough to control the middle of the pitch.

Reaction Score
Hoppe is an example of what I see as our overall problem. The talent is as high as it has ever been. But it's overly concentrated among the wingers. It seems like half of our best 11 are wing forwards. We have to find a way to deploy a talented guy like Hoppe, who showed some of the best passing and ball placement I've seen on this team in ages, in a midfield role. Sargent moving to the Premier league and I'd like to see how they use him. He sure didn't look like a striker for MNT. Aside from Reyna, I haven't seen much that encourages me about the midfield. Too much talent outside, not enough to control the middle of the pitch.
I honestly think Hoppe is more of a 9. Tall, quick, good hold up and pretty creative to boot. Sargent has soured on me a bit but if he performs for Norwich, can’t deny him. But Dike didn’t impress me at all really during the GC, so the Striker is open, at least for me. But I agree with the excess at wing. I also think KDLF is arguably a starter for us right now.

Reaction Score

I’d like Reyna to become a CAM. I see Hoppe as a backup winger.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’d like Reyna to become a CAM. I see Hoppe as a backup winger.

I think he already is. He was fantastic in that role and will only get better. Hoppe, I'd like to see what he can do at other positions. His passes were really precise, and so many of our midfielders just aren't that good at making those crisp, quick, accurate passes. If not, no loss. But it's worth trying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom