MNT's 2021 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Overall, decent game. It's nice to be getting the results one would expect.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not a good game by Steffen or Cannon. Sargent did OK but intangibles will only get you so far as the center forward and he has a few younger guys after his spot.

The broadcast make a good point on how many players will be needed to managed the brutal schedule between the Nations Cup, Gold Cup, and the condensed qualifying window. Everyone will get their shot, I just hope the core squad gets to play together often.

Right now I think that's Dest, Brooks, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, and Renya. Musah looked pretty good for his 3rd or 4th cap but he's not a lock to start yet. I think Arriola will get plenty of looks and I'm resigned that Lleggett is the new Wondo, a guy the coach caps every game who excels vs cupcakes but isn't better than any reasonable replacement.

The center forward for me will be the guy who looks the most dangerous in front of goal. Sarge did OK, I like his touch in the box but will need to be more lethal.

Reaction Score
Would have liked to have seen Dike but he didn't play because of an injury in camp. Hope he is fit for NI.

We know most of the guys who can play. The surprises were Aaronson who looked great and not just on the goal. I also thought Della Torre looked comfortable and sneaky dangerous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aaronson scored a banger for this first goal at Red Bull. We need to figure out who our #10 will be - as nice as McKennie and Adams have been for their clubs they certainly are not creators in the middle.

If Dike can be that target #9, that's really all you need with guys like Pulisic, Dest & co whipping crosses in with McKennie making late runs into the box

Reaction Score
As someone that doesn't closely follow the team, but watches when I have a chance, last night was good to see. I remember watching a few years ago (non-qualification time) and being shocked that they couldn't string together more than two passes (other than Bradley passing backwards regardless of the circumstances). They looked outskilled, but also outtoughed by teams that would then get crushed by other countries. Good to see a team of relatively skilled players. I thought Aaronson looked solid. I thought Reyna struggled a bit considering expectations.

My question for the board is the consensus on Lletjet. I know this board hates MLS guys, but he seems like a guy to root for. He reminds me of the really good AAA guy that may not be made for the majors, but would probably play better than a lot of the "young guys with more potential." He seems to play well in all the games I see. Maybe that's just happenstnce and he sucks otherwise. Only thing I didn't love is when he scored a goal and celebrated while his teammate was down on the ground a few feet away. Seemed a bit selfish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My question for the board is the consensus on Lletjet. I know this board hates MLS guys, but he seems like a guy to root for. He reminds me of the really good AAA guy that may not be made for the majors, but would probably play better than a lot of the "young guys with more potential." He seems to play well in all the games I see. Maybe that's just happenstnce and he sucks otherwise. Only thing I didn't love is when he scored a goal and celebrated while his teammate was down on the ground a few feet away. Seemed a bit selfish.
Just my opinion, but he's not bad. I think he can bring some depth to the team. He may not be everyone's 1st choice, but as we've seen the 1st choice players may not always be available. And with all the games this summer/fall we're gonna need depth. When he plays he fits in ok without a huge drop off. Can he be what's needed against the Germany's, the France's? Probably not. But first we need to get out of CONCACAF, which we didn't do last time. He can help with that. Then we can worry about facing good teams.

Reaction Score
As someone that doesn't closely follow the team, but watches when I have a chance, last night was good to see. I remember watching a few years ago (non-qualification time) and being shocked that they couldn't string together more than two passes (other than Bradley passing backwards regardless of the circumstances). They looked outskilled, but also outtoughed by teams that would then get crushed by other countries. Good to see a team of relatively skilled players. I thought Aaronson looked solid. I thought Reyna struggled a bit considering expectations.

He’s a glue guy and is the oldest on the field I think. If McKennie and Adams are back then he is a sub.

Reaction Score

Also keep in mind. He was a reserve reserve player for West Ham.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Also keep in mind. He was a reserve reserve player for West Ham.

USMNT has a habit of overvaluing pluck. A program defined by blue collar football doesn't need a guy who's only skill is grit.

Guys like Bradley, Cherundelo, and Bocanegra were defined by their toughness, but the all had enough talent to be valued by top European clubs.

You can replace Leggett with several guys better than him. His results can be attributable to attendance and the opponents. He's Wondo playing midfield.

Yeah, we can use him in a packed 2021 schedule with numerous non-FIFA dates, he shouldn't be an option for any important match nor should he be allowed to block the development of other players.

Bradley's time is over, too. He shouldn't be given anything beyond a farewell friendly.

Reaction Score
Great effort against Northern Ireland today. They tried out a new formation they have never played before and still looked fairly connected. The subbed in six guys, that hurt the continuity. And, of course, no McKinney, Adams, Brooks, Sargent, others.

Still they were the better team. Reyna and Pulisic looked very good. Both scored. Young guys looked very good again especially Aaronson. Reynolds surprised and looked promising. Dike didn't score but provided a physical presence we have been missing.

We lost the clean sheet late but given this was definitely not our "A" backline, it was surprising it lasted as long as it did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whaddya know, Pulisic gets a start and he's MOTM. I watched the first half, he deserved the honor based on the first 10 minutes of the game. That he scored a brace was just gravy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Preliminary roster for CONCACAF Nations League Final. Some of you should be happy, no Bradley, no Altidore. :cool:

GK - Steffen, Johnson, Horvath, Turner, Ochoa
DF - Yedlin, Ream, Brooks, Long, Miazga, Cannon, Zimmerman, A. Robinson, Dest, M. Robinson, Richards, Vines, McKenzie, Reynolds
MF - K. Acosta, McKennie, Lletget, Roldan, Adams, Yueill, Aaronson, Musah, de la Torre, Otasowie
FW - Zardes, Pulisic, Arriola, Sargent, Boyd, Weah, Reyna, Gioacchini, Dike, Siebatcheu, de la Fuente

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We don’t want to interrupt their club duties.
Nations League dates are 6/3 vs Honduras and then 6/6 winner of Mexico/Costa Rica ( or 3rd place match against loser). Champion's League Final on 5/29, so not sure Pulisic and Steffen can make at least the 6/3 game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nations League dates are 6/3 vs Honduras and then 6/6 winner of Mexico/Costa Rica ( or 3rd place match against loser). Champion's League Final on 5/29, so not sure Pulisic and Steffen can make at least the 6/3 game.
I was talking about Bradley and Jozy.

Reaction Score
Toss the MLS and young euro-based players into this one. Pulisic needed for wc qualifiers

Reaction Score
Toss the MLS and young euro-based players into this one. Pulisic needed for wc qualifiers
The WC players need to play together to gain a little chemistry. Dest and Pulisic looked dynamite together on the same side but it's not the side Dest plays in Spain. The top guys need to work together. This will pay dividends in qualifying.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with that. You see your opportunities and you take them.

It will make money in the other CONCACAF countries outside of Canada and the US.

Nobody in Canada and the US wants more CONCACAF.

The Gold Cup and Qualifying are enough for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom