MNT's 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big Sam is available on Monday. He should be the coach by Tuesday. All our best players are in Europe with top coaches. They have to come back to a guy "who did some things" with the Columbus Crew? They and we deserve better.

Reaction Score
Big Sam is available on Monday. He should be the coach by Tuesday. All our best players are in Europe with top coaches. They have to come back to a guy "who did some things" with the Columbus Crew? They and we deserve better.
Now i’m not by any stretch a big Berhalter fan, but why on earth, after a string of good results, good camps, dual national commitments, would the kick him to the curb now? Be realistic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now i’m not by any stretch a big Berhalter fan, but why on earth, after a string of good results, good camps, dual national commitments, would the kick him to the curb now? Be realistic.
Because much better is available. The players have driven the better recent results, not the coach.

Reaction Score
Because much better is available. The players have driven the better recent results, not the coach.
So the coach gets no credit? Only when they lose? It’s a silly argument. If GGG and the team crap the bed in Nations League or the Hex then we can have that discussion, not now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the coach gets no credit? Only when they lose? It’s a silly argument. If GGG and the team crap the bed in Nations League or the Hex then we can have that discussion, not now.
We will never fulfill our potential with a 2nd-rater in charge. I don't care how they do against these tiny countries.

Reaction Score
We will never fulfill our potential with a 2nd-rater in charge. I don't care how they do against these tiny countries.
Okay, so wait until they play against some big teams to throw him under the bus. The team has improved, he has improved, and he’s arguably not had a full strength roster yet. So give it a bit of a chance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. He's 17W-3T-5L, better than Sarachan, Arena, Klinsmann, Bradley, Sampson, Bora. Yea, he's not my choice, but until he messes up, he's not going anywhere.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Preliminary roster for CONCACAF Nations League Final. Some of you should be happy, no Bradley, no Altidore. :cool:

GK - Steffen, Johnson, Horvath, Turner, Ochoa
DF - Yedlin, Ream, Brooks, Long, Miazga, Cannon, Zimmerman, A. Robinson, Dest, M. Robinson, Richards, Vines, McKenzie, Reynolds
MF - K. Acosta, McKennie, Lletget, Roldan, Adams, Yueill, Aaronson, Musah, de la Torre, Otasowie
FW - Zardes, Pulisic, Arriola, Sargent, Boyd, Weah, Reyna, Gioacchini, Dike, Siebatcheu, de la Fuente
Final Roster (23) for Nations League

GK - Steffen, Horvath, Ochoa
DF - Yedlin, Ream, Brooks, Miazga, Cannon, A. Robinson, Dest, McKenzie
MF - K. Acosta, McKennie, Lletget, Adams, Yueill, Musah
FW - Aaronson, Pulisic, Reyna, Sargent, Siebatcheu, Weah

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Final Roster (23) for Nations League

GK - Steffen, Horvath, Ochoa
DF - Yedlin, Ream, Brooks, Miazga, Cannon, A. Robinson, Dest, McKenzie
MF - K. Acosta, McKennie, Lletget, Adams, Yueill, Musah
FW - Aaronson, Pulisic, Reyna, Sargent, Siebatcheu, Weah

I would say this is as close to the A team as we'll see until Qualifying.

Looks very crowded for some spots. CB/GK still look like weak spots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm amazed that the one position where we were genuinely above average for a long time, GK, is now a weakness. What happened?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm amazed that the one position where we were genuinely above average for a long time, GK, is now a weakness. What happened?

Old guys got old and blocked an entire generation from developing on the national team, which led to fewer opportunities abroad.

All three of these guys have shown flashes of talent behind what has to be the weakest back line the US has seen in a long time, but none of them are getting quality time as the No.1 in a top league.

If you trace the line from Meola to Friedel to Keller to Howard, all were the best player on the squad (mostly because we were so poor everywhere else) and faced a lot of pressure. The US aversion to soccer actually helped as these guys all grew up playing other ball sports. Playing keeper came more naturally to US born players than other internationals.

That isn't the case now, development academies made up the difference and the American keeper isn't the sly upgrade for lesser clubs that it once was.

Steffen isn't going to get much better as the #2 with a luxury back line when he does play. Ochoa impressed during Olympic qualifying, let's see if he continues to grow.

Reaction Score

Steffen is a quality keeper. He could probably be a starter on 8-10~ Prem teams. Also CB if Brooks is healthy will be a strength in the upcoming years. Richards is 100% the real deal at 21 years old, plus we have some depth there as well with McKenzie being very talented as well, CCV played well for Bournemouth, Miazga playing pretty well and Che seems to be a star in the making.

Reaction Score
Steffen has shown well in his USMNT chances. Ochoa cr*pped the bed last time out in an important game.

I'm more worried about the back line. If Cannon develops that would be very good.

Would have like to see Dike get minutes up front. The kid has a very high ceiling. Everyone looks good in highlights but how many Americans have looked this strong on the ball?

Reaction Score
Steffen has shown well in his USMNT chances. Ochoa cr*pped the bed last time out in an important game.

I'm more worried about the back line. If Cannon develops that would be very good.

Would have like to see Dike get minutes up front. The kid has a very high ceiling. Everyone looks good in highlights but how many Americans have looked this strong on the ball?

I’m not sold on Sargent. Sargent does bring value, he just doesn’t score. Hoping Dike can do more so that we don’t have to see Zardes again.

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. He's 17W-3T-5L, better than Sarachan, Arena, Klinsmann, Bradley, Sampson, Bora. Yea, he's not my choice, but until he messes up, he's not going anywhere.

He hasn’t played anyone in anything that matters and he has never won anything as a club manager.

Let’s pray that he’s just keeping the seat warm for Jesse Marsch, who is a legit bigtime guy.

Berhalter is an MLS stooge and a chump.

Reaction Score

This special needs manager started a great midfielder at right back. He thinks he’s Pep, but he’s not even Mike Basset, heck he’s not even Jackie Moon. At least Basset won something.

Reaction Score
This special needs manager started a great midfielder at right back. He thinks he’s Pep, but he’s not even Mike Basset, heck he’s not even Jackie Moon. At least Basset won something.
Are you talking about Adams? Because Adams has played RB/RWB a lot in his club career. I agree he is definitely best in the midfield but it wasn’t the craziest decision...

Reaction Score
Are you talking about Adams? Because Adams has played RB/RWB a lot in his club career. I agree he is definitely best in the midfield but it wasn’t the craziest decision...

He played RB for a cup of coffee.

His sticking with Zardes for so long was disturbing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, it wasn't just the move, it was what the move said. Beerholder was going to make the players fit his system. Like he's coaching the Crew or something. I'm telling you, these American coaches are pieces of work. Did you just read where Bob Bradley said he wouldn't want Zlatan on his team?

Reaction Score
He played RB for a cup of coffee.

His sticking with Zardes for so long was disturbing.
Yeah he had a connection with Zardes and that was him being loyal but I agree Zardes isn’t starting quality. But to be fair we didn’t have the deepest striker pool (still don’t) when GGG started.

Reaction Score
For me, it wasn't just the move, it was what the move said. Beerholder was going to make the players fit his system. Like he's coaching the Crew or something. I'm telling you, these American coaches are pieces of work. Did you just read where Bob Bradley said he wouldn't want Zlatan on his team?

American Coaches, they are just as good. They know the same drills that the Euros do in practice!!!

Reaction Score
I know he’s one of the jewels but Sargent has been virtually invisible thus far.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anybody watching this match? Sargent was invisible, but would have had an easy goal had Reyna passed. He just brilliantly saved a goal though. Maybe move him to D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom